Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 04:21 AM

15,430 posts, read 25,807,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT-3 View Post
Check out Wegman's before driving to Whole Foods. Sounds you really don't like Ashburn, maybe there is another location?
Now that I know where it is, we will try Wegman's. Ashburn is a fine place, but it's not what I want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 06:07 AM

367 posts, read 884,617 times
Really? You might as well stay where you are, how are you going to come on here and act like someone is breaking your hand to move to Ashburn and then turn around and say you require ADU housing?
WHERE THEY DO THAT AT?

Old 07-03-2013, 07:30 AM

157 posts, read 309,721 times
good question....

Old 07-03-2013, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmv101010 View Post
Really? You might as well stay where you are, how are you going to come on here and act like someone is breaking your hand to move to Ashburn and then turn around and say you require ADU housing?
WHERE THEY DO THAT AT?
What are you talking about? No one's breaking my hand, and I never said that they were/did. If I need ADU housing what business is it of yours? Butt out if you have nothing constructive to add.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:06 PM

3,555 posts, read 4,095,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
What are you talking about? No one's breaking my hand, and I never said that they were/did. If I need ADU housing what business is it of yours? Butt out if you have nothing constructive to add.
You are the one who asked on an online forum. Actually, you didn't ask anything, just came here and started complaining about moving as if someone were forcing you.

Old 07-04-2013, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grsz11 View Post
You are the one who asked on an online forum. Actually, you didn't ask anything, just came here and started complaining about moving as if someone were forcing you.
Thanks for your opinion.

Old 07-04-2013, 10:31 AM

157 posts, read 309,721 times
I think what's going on here is that most often, people come to this forum looking for advice on how to afford housing in this area, since this is where the jobs are and they are coming from someplace cheaper. They are hoping against hope to find someplace they can afford while also attempting to avoid a soul sucking commute, the type this area is known for - all while wondering whether the wear and tear on their vehicles, the price of gas and horrendous commutes even make it worthwhile in the bigger picture. It's not often you see someone concerned about relatively upscale and now considered "close-in" Ashburn, while receiving subsidized housing (through taxes paid by all those poor commuters hauling butt back and forth through traffic every day) and subsidized tuition (again, made possible by the taxes paid by all those same wage slaves hauling butt through NOVA traffic every day)....and also requiring higher end grocers....the details may not be exact, but surely you get the overall idea. Kinda seems a bit....well....insensitive, with a bit of an air of entitlement.

Old 07-04-2013, 11:54 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,445,513 times
OP, assuming you work in the Gaithersburg Rockville area, the cost of commuting from Ashburn will be very high. The toll road runs about $170-180 a month, White's Ferry may be a tad cheaper and the slog down Route 7 would be brutal.

Loudoun is one of the most expensive counties in the country -- surpassed Montgomery long ago -- with very few pockets of low income neighborhoods. Loudoun doesn't have the same social services that Montgomery does because Montgomery's low-income population has exploded in the last decade. So even, as you mentioned, the Ride-on bus is not nearly as developed.

Maybe your daughters need to realize that UofMD, Towson, Salisbury, Frostburg are all still very good schools.

Old 07-04-2013, 04:42 PM

I don't get people's interpretation of what I'm saying, but whatever. Your opinion about me is irrelevant and i don't care. You know nothing about me. The commute is not an issue. We've made our decision to move. This apartment is better than the one we have now, although the rent is the same. I don't like the location, but I'll get used to it. People say MD is so bad, but in the years we were there we never met people like some here. What happened to this board?

Old 07-05-2013, 07:36 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,164,684 times
The more constructive criticism on this thread has been duly noted. At this point, offering solutions in NOVA will extend the life of this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia