U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2007, 08:16 AM

19 posts, read 59,587 times

Advertisements

My family is planning to relocate to the North Arlington area next fall. We plan to rent a house for a year or two, then buy. I know we could probably find a rental through Craigslist, Military by Owner, and the other rental websites, but since we're doing this long distance I wouldn't mind having some help locally (to help us evaluate things like whether the street is quiet, if the sidewalks are nice, if a playground is nearby, etc.). I also thought it might help to establish a relationship with a realtor, since we'll probably be looking for the same kind of house in the same kind of neighborhood when we buy, just a year or two afterward. Finally, I thought a realtor might know of rentals that aren't yet listed--houses that haven't sold, or that kind of thing.

Are realtors good at this kind of thing? Would they charge me for help with the rental? Or should I just focus on finding a house to rent rather than adding the additional complication of finding a realtor?

Thanks, everyone--I love how helpful this board has been!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 10:20 AM

1,261 posts, read 5,607,075 times
A good realtor willing to scope the neighborhoods for you should be able to do this. You definitely want to work with someone who knows the area (North Arlington specifically) very well. As far as I know, you wouldn't have to pay a realtor for looking for rental properties since the property owner pays his/her fee. And try to avoid someone putting the pressure to buy now given how the market is. It is better to rent and get to know the area well before you decide where you want to live permanently. Personally, I would focus on finding the rental first without mentioning my goal to buy in the near future. Good luck.

Old 11-08-2007, 04:19 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,440,837 times
Yes, fees are paid by the seller or "landlord".

My aunt lived on 38th street (N. 38th st.), which I think is considered north Arlington. It was *lovely* - off of Glebe, close to Marymount University, brick colonials with nice yards. I just mapped the address and the street might be part of a neighborhood called "Country Club Hills" although I never heard that name. [This was her "move-up" house in her 30s; she's now in a 3 million dollar house in McLean; I digress].

I know of a realtor I just recommended to someone else - I know many in the area, but this is the only one I would recommend to someone without reservation. I've never met her, but she received the *highest* recommendation from a friend based on very substantive things. She probably works more in Fairfax, but I'll pass along her name if you still are looking.

Old 11-08-2007, 09:02 PM

3,504 posts, read 7,919,003 times
You might even find a great rental "with option to buy"

Old 11-10-2007, 10:19 AM

19 posts, read 59,587 times
Default Thank you

Thanks to you all--these comments are very helpful!

Goldenmom, I would be interested in the name of the realtor. If you could pass it along through a direct message, that would be great. Or let me know how else to communicate (I'm new to the board).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia