Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 09:54 AM

301 posts, read 691,383 times

Advertisements

Wife and I are in the market for a new sofa and decided to check out Belfort recently. We saw a couple of sofas we like in the 1k range. Does anyone know if you can negotiate prices with them (and/or if they ever have coupons or discounts on their regular furniture items)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 09:57 AM

2,772 posts, read 4,317,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yolli71 View Post
Wife and I are in the market for a new sofa and decided to check out Belfort recently. We saw a couple of sofas we like in the 1k range. Does anyone know if you can negotiate prices with them (and/or if they ever have coupons or discounts on their regular furniture items)?
Warehouse side or the showroom side? On the showroom side I was able to negotiate but only to get the 5year warranty for free on a standard sectional.

Old 07-08-2013, 11:26 AM

301 posts, read 691,383 times
Showroom side. I don't have much experience buying furniture outside of Costco and Crate and Barrel, so I didn't know if you could negotiate much off the price at a place like this (or if I should wait for them to have some sort of big sale -- if they have one).

Old 07-08-2013, 12:34 PM

367 posts, read 884,576 times
I am curious too! I like the slipcover couch on the showroom floor by at $1500 not sure If I should just go with pottery barn, I wonder if they would take $$ off after all everything has a price!

Old 07-08-2013, 03:53 PM

707 posts, read 1,407,647 times
My wife have gone there on many occasions and we have gotten discounts at the warehouse not at the showrooms. It seems the more you spend the more they are willing to discount but it isn't that big at
least not with us. On some items they hold firm on their prices so it depends on what your buying.

Old 07-08-2013, 07:29 PM

9,878 posts, read 14,120,619 times
We got some deal (10% off, I think) by buying the floor model sofa we wanted.

Old 07-08-2013, 08:31 PM

531 posts, read 1,428,600 times
My experience is that they don't negotiate. If they give you a discount, it's because it is a preapproved promotion. For example, they give special discount for buying floor samples. They regularly run deals such as buy x dollars and get y dollars back. These are management preapproved discount. They don't give you discount just because you bargain with them, like in a car dealership.

Old 07-09-2013, 05:16 AM

2,765 posts, read 8,327,876 times
I went into one of their stores, and looked at a few bedroom sets. When I opened the drawer and flipped it over, I saw that the craftsmanship of the assembly was horrible and the wood was splintering. I suggest going to ValueCity instead because their quality is a lot better.

Old 07-09-2013, 06:57 AM

2,772 posts, read 4,317,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRE332 View Post
I went into one of their stores, and looked at a few bedroom sets. When I opened the drawer and flipped it over, I saw that the craftsmanship of the assembly was horrible and the wood was splintering. I suggest going to ValueCity instead because their quality is a lot better.
I become cynical and suspicious from a person who would suggest another consumer write off an entire company because of a singular anecdotal incident like this. To counter point it, I bought a sectional sofa from Belfort, the quality was just fine for the price I paid (I wasn't expecting artisinal hand crafted wood workings) and I have owned it now for four years with no issues, no cracking, no damage.

So take everything with a grain of salt

Old 07-09-2013, 07:17 AM

979 posts, read 1,775,507 times
I doubt it. It's retail. I don't try to negotiate for anything else I buy retail in a store.

I bought a sectional sofa set with ottoman there about two years ago. It was more expensive than what we looked at at Value City Furniture, but it was noticeably higher quality in that the back cushions on the one at VCF we had been considering were already flattened and beaten and worn on the floor model, let alone what would quickly happen in our home with our two dogs and young children. I am still very happy with our sectional, and it is so far holding up fabulously. So, as with anything, shop around and decide for yourself if the higher price is worth it based on your personal needs and preferences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia