Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 08:49 AM

2,772 posts, read 4,315,725 times

Advertisements

I drive 70 to 75 in the left lane on 66, it some idiot comes flying up to me I move out of the way because for society it is better if I do, but frankly that person is in the wrong and I find it funny how many people are conflating two different things. What is the safest thing to do per state code (ie don't be a vigilante and let the speeder go) and saying that the speeder is right to go faster.

It is a proven fact that speed is more of an influence in traffic conflicts than people who go the design speed (+5 to +10 over posted). That person going that much faster is more likely to cause that traffic jam on the highway than the one who is doing 5-10 over.

PS to the person who said it is illegal to stay in the left lane if the one behind you is doing over the speed limit, you are wrong. That rule only applies to people going slower than the speed limit being surpassed by someone doing the speed limit.

Also to the people who want to talk about the Autobahn and how glorious it is. Drive the autobahn, the thing you will notice is people are going much fasters, but they aren't tailgating idiots who don't leave 3 second gaps between cars, that is the real curse of this area. Everyone needs to learn to go faster but still leave gaps (the gap has no impact on your speed, it is a perceived slowness but two vehicles with a 3 second gap can go 100mpg just as easily as two vehicles with a 1 second gap)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 09:55 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,171,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Why would left lane squatters pay any more attention if it was illegal to pass ont he right? They aren't the ones passing on the right, so they wouldn't care if it was illegal.

If it were illegal to pass on the right, the police would be more inclined to ticket left land squatters for "impeding the flow of traffic".

Old 07-10-2013, 10:33 AM

9,875 posts, read 14,112,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
If it were illegal to pass on the right, the police would be more inclined to ticket left land squatters for "impeding the flow of traffic".
no, they would just ticket those who pass on the right.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:51 AM

377 posts, read 529,314 times
just last weekend I was in the left lane on 66 and some guy with Maryland plates zooms past me doing like 85 and cuts in front of me. So he's getting further and further ahead of me and I notice anothe car in my rear view mirror coming up really fast. He too goes around and ahead of me. Next thing I know the second car lights up like a christmas tree and he pulls over the dude with the Maryland plates, and I'm like "Yes! There is justice in this world after all!"

Old 07-10-2013, 11:48 AM

208 posts, read 819,508 times
Default Drivers manual or school

Now that I think about it, I can't remember when I was told about the left lane being the fast lane...I'm sure it was from my Parents, but I can't remember now. Does anyone know if this is told in Drivers Ed/school. While typing this, I just downloaded the pdf of the driving manual for VA. I searched for "fast lane" "left lane", and "passing"; of course it mentions that it is illegal to exceed the speed limit to pass, but it does not seem to mention the left lane as being the "fast lane". I may have missed it, however.

Well, I'm sure my rant won't change any behavior, but it felt good. Be safe on the roads, and get out of the way when you see me coming

One more thing, I'm not for aggressive driving, so I'm definitely not "that psycho" that weaves in and out of traffic...oh well, at least I don't have to take the metro.

Old 07-10-2013, 11:56 AM

2,772 posts, read 4,315,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerGuy View Post
Now that I think about it, I can't remember when I was told about the left lane being the fast lane...I'm sure it was from my Parents, but I can't remember now. Does anyone know if this is told in Drivers Ed/school. While typing this, I just downloaded the pdf of the driving manual for VA. I searched for "fast lane" "left lane", and "passing"; of course it mentions that it is illegal to exceed the speed limit to pass, but it does not seem to mention the left lane as being the "fast lane". I may have missed it, however.

Well, I'm sure my rant won't change any behavior, but it felt good. Be safe on the roads, and get out of the way when you see me coming

One more thing, I'm not for aggressive driving, so I'm definitely not "that psycho" that weaves in and out of traffic...oh well, at least I don't have to take the metro.
On federal highways it is often marked, you can also see it on roads in Pennsylvania and NJ. In Virginia the sign looks more like "Slower Traffic Keep Right" so its implied. None of that means that it is a traffic violation to impede someone else from breaking a traffic violation, it was originally instituted in the early days of highways when some vehicles couldn't do the speed limit, or when town drivers would get on federal highways going 35mph.

Old 07-12-2013, 10:31 AM

271 posts, read 446,457 times
I am a speeder (I can afford the ticket), and I don't understand why people in the left lane have to be there if they aren't at least going 5 over on a highway when conditions allow and what the rest of traffic is doing at least that. What is so bad about the right lane? What horse do the slow drivers ride on, that slower drivers have so much pride they can't just move over a lane, traffic permitting of course? If I have little kids in the car I squat in the right lane and drive extra safe without holding anyone up.

When it is rush hour and people (like myself) just want to go home and enjoy the few extra minutes earned to spend with my family. It amazes me how 99.9% of Novans complain about traffic yet every day from FFX to PWC I see someone going slow (5 below to the speed limit) in the left lane. This is especially true on 28 or Dumfries RD/PWPRKWY.

I tried to resist the temptation of posting in this thread but with traffic the way it is day in and day out, move over or GTFO of the way. Don't slow me down solely because you live on this high moral ground that you pretend to be vigilantly justice by slowing everyone else down in the left lane, thus causing even more unsafe driving conditions.

I don’t know maybe it’s the 8 cylinders and the clutch that makes me speed, but get over it people, you are not special you are not a unique delicate flower. Maybe their family life sucks, but mine doesn't so don't hold us up.

Old 07-12-2013, 01:18 PM

1,339 posts, read 3,465,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_In_NOVA View Post
I am a speeder (I can afford the ticket), and I don't understand why people in the left lane have to be there if they aren't at least going 5 over on a highway when conditions allow and what the rest of traffic is doing at least that.
I don’t know maybe it’s the 8 cylinders and the clutch that makes me speed, but get over it people, you are not special you are not a unique delicate flower. Maybe their family life sucks, but mine doesn't so don't hold us up.
You are unbelievable! Speeding is not justified just because you can afford the ticket!! Driving is about being responsible, safe and having enough civil and common sense to respect other's lives as well! We, not speeding, is not an indication of our sucky family lives; it's an indication that we prefer to spend memorable moments with the family for a long time by ensuring safety over immaturity!!

Old 07-12-2013, 01:41 PM

1,784 posts, read 3,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kutra11 View Post
You are unbelievable! Speeding is not justified just because you can afford the ticket!! Driving is about being responsible, safe and having enough civil and common sense to respect other's lives as well! We, not speeding, is not an indication of our sucky family lives; it's an indication that we prefer to spend memorable moments with the family for a long time by ensuring safety over immaturity!!
Just make sure you're ensuring your safety over there in the right lane

Old 07-12-2013, 02:44 PM

2,189 posts, read 3,314,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_In_NOVA View Post
Goes both ways. You aren't special either so why should anyone care you're in such a rush? I see your type on the beltway all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia