U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 12:35 PM

208 posts, read 743,696 times

Advertisements

I want to make sure that the left lane is still considered the fast lane, because I see so many drivers who treat the left lane like some pace car in a race. I've actually found myself going fast in the left lane, but not quite fast enough, and I will just move over (when it's safe of course) and let the cars pass by. I have seen so many people just go for miles driving slow in the left lane, and I see car after car jump in the right lane, speed past the car, and then get back in the left lane. You would think that people would get the hint, but it just does not happen.

I'm mostly venting, but maybe I'm wrong about the left lane, it's still "speed up, or move over" isn't it? Oh, and just to try and cover all the bases, I'm not the person that rides up on the bumper of the car to get it to go faster, I'm not going to rear-end someone because they are going too slow, but I wish I could just remote control their car out of the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 12:38 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,720,178 times
Left lane = Passing lane. Move over, pass, then get back over.

Old 07-09-2013, 12:43 PM

377 posts, read 430,124 times
I've found that on 66, it's the opposite, the right lane is the faster lane and the left lane is the slowest. Don't ask me why

Old 07-09-2013, 12:57 PM

504 posts, read 1,026,701 times
I wonder what goes through people's mind when they come across those signs on the left saying "Slower traffic keeps right"? On my recent trip back from South Carolina, about 8 out of 10 of these left lane hogs have VA plates. Sad...

Old 07-09-2013, 12:57 PM

2,772 posts, read 3,651,110 times
Two different things

1) No law that requires to you stay out of the left lane as long as you are going the speed limit (regardless of what another law says which states to allow faster vehicles to pass). That second law only refers to if both vehicles are legally under the speed limit.

2) It is unsafe to stay in that lane and force the other driver (who very well might be breaking the law) to pass around you. Ultimately it is better for society to let that guy go, and if you are going slower than the flow of traffic in general for you to be not in the left lane.

Legally speaking though, see #1, and so many people in this area don't understand that law and think its illegal to stay in the left lane like that. It isnt if it means breaking the traffic law.

Old 07-09-2013, 12:58 PM

1,339 posts, read 2,966,849 times
Left lane should preferably be used only for passing. But when all the lanes are full, the left lane should be the faster/fastest lane. Even I have seen occasional cars in the left lane holding up the entire line of cars behind them and they just won't budge or shift lanes. I think the only reason people drive slowly in the left lane is so that they never have to brake... ...something they cannot do in any other lane because of merges from entry ramps or finding someone who's driving slower than them. It's inconsiderate on their part but I do wonder what goes on in their brains when they see a line of cars behind them and some passing them on the right!

Old 07-09-2013, 01:07 PM

766 posts, read 851,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerf Herder View Post
I've found that on 66, it's the opposite, the right lane is the faster lane and the left lane is the slowest. Don't ask me why
lol, when I used to commute on 66, I've found that to be true as well.

Old 07-09-2013, 01:14 PM

504 posts, read 1,026,701 times
In many cases, the slow spoke in the left lane is also breaking the speed limit (5 MPH over, for example) but still would not move over and let others pass.

Old 07-09-2013, 01:43 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,433,247 times
If you still expect that drivers today will move out of the left lane to let you pass them, you are smoking something real good. There was a day and time when that happened, and there are still a few remote parts of this country where people drive like that, but those days are pretty much over. Too much congestion, too many people who either have no intelligence or are using what little intelligence they have to talk on the phone, text, put on make-up, drink their latte, or finish eating their cheeseburger that they just picked up at the drive-thru. Been to the DMV lately? Did the people in there strike you as being people that would be good drivers?

My advice. Give up the fight. It's already lost. You can't win. Don't join them - that is, don't drive like them - but don't expect them to ever change. They won't. They will only get worse. My personal strategy is to drive in a center lane or right lane at a speed where I don't have to pass people very often. Usually the speed limit or 5-10 mph over works for that. If I come up behind someone going slower than me, I slow down too and maybe pass after a time.

Old 07-09-2013, 01:59 PM

10,606 posts, read 12,128,397 times
I just read a debate on another message board about this.

The consensus was that in heavily trafficked areas, such as the DC area, the left lane is a regular lane of traffic; however, as kutra11 points out, you should come to expect that it is the fastest lane of travel (less people exiting in and out of the lane).

In other areas that are more rural, the left lane should be used as a passing lane. I know that when I made my drive to Florida, I really adhered to that, as did most folks. We all traveled in the right lane unless we needed to pass. Yet, as soon as an area becomes congested, the left lane became a regular travel lane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia