U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 09:23 AM

2 posts, read 4,515 times
Default Cable TV vs. Apple TV/HDTV Antenna

My cable bill is outrageous in NOVA. Has anyone dropped their cable service and switched to antenna service plus Apple TV or other devices to stream TV shows and movies???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 09:47 AM

182 posts, read 133,286 times
Would love to know this as well, also how would one add a sport package? (NFL Sunday Ticket for example)

Old 07-10-2013, 10:57 AM

408 posts, read 299,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_In_NOVA View Post
Would love to know this as well, also how would one add a sport package? (NFL Sunday Ticket for example)
You can now get NFL Sunday Ticket without DirecTV (online streaming to mobile devices). You can also get Sunday Ticket through the PlayStation 3.

These options are not free though, of course.

Old 07-10-2013, 11:49 AM

182 posts, read 133,286 times
Would I be correct in assuming that if you can stream Sunday ticket to a mobile device, then steaming it to a Wi-Fi connected smart TV through an internet connection would not be an issue (besides bandwidth)?

Last edited by Jon_In_NOVA; 07-10-2013 at 11:53 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 07-10-2013, 11:54 AM

1,323 posts, read 2,371,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_In_NOVA View Post
Would I be correct in assuming that if you can stream Sunday ticket to a mobile device, then steaming it to a wifi connected smart TV through an internet connection would not be an issue (desdies bandwidth)?
Yeah, you can do that, because your HDTV functions essentially as a computer monitor. I suspect the mobile pictures will be in a different video format than through DirectTV and it will be blurry when you stream it to your TV.

Old 07-10-2013, 11:56 AM

408 posts, read 299,703 times
I haven't tried it myself, but from looking at reviews, it appears that for example, if you use the iPad app (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sund...390577714?mt=8), airplay is not directly supported and you have to use airplay mirroring to get it to display on TV.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:25 PM

1,256 posts, read 1,123,832 times
I'm also currently looking into dropping cable TV and using both online pay services as well as an HDTV antenna to pick up digital broadcasts. The pay services would be to replace what little broadcast movies we watch (and maybe also things like Discovery) while the antenna-services would be to receive a couple local channels that at least part of the family considers crucial (we don't watch sports so losing those is not a problem).

One problem, however, that I've run into while testing digital over-the-air broadcast reception is that, directly underneath our siding, there is a layer of fiberboard with aluminum foil covering...making for an amazingly good farady shield blocking out broadcast signals. This same fiberboard lines the inside wall of our garage (that is also one of the walls of our family room) and the second floor room that holds our wireless router. Essentially the wireless router is completely blocked from the family room - I installed a repeater over the family room that only has internal walls between it and the router and now get very strong signal in the family room, however this type of hack wouldn't be possible with an antenna necessary to receive the digital broadcasts. I'll probably have to place antennas in both my garage attic as well as the main-house attic to bypass that aluminum foil - but our neighbor's house - REALLY close to ours - is almost perfectly between our house and the set of stations most likely to be received...

Anyway, to cut off this too-long reply, you, too, will need to be sure that (1) your indoor location(s) can "get signal" or (2) your necessary-antenna location can "get signal" to receive over-the-air digital broadcasts.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:35 PM

262 posts, read 451,750 times
TV Fool

It will give you a general idea of what channels you may be able to receive, but what you can in practice receive without stuttering is often trial and error and depends upon tuner chip in hdtv ota reciever, antenna used, and location.

Zenith / Phillips Silver Sensor design (this seems to be current iteration offered on Amazon - adds rabbit ears and captive coaxial cable: http://www.amazon.com/Terk-Technolog...ilver+sensoris) gold standard for indoor antenna say under 20 miles from receiver (very good mutli-path resistance in urban areas), but something like Mohu Leaf or Terrestrial Digital DB-2 / DB-4 might have more gain.

If station is say over 70 miles away (probably need one of those large tv antennas on roof or in attic), then curvature of earth becomes an issue.

Roku 3 is supposed to be nice internet channel aggregator if you have nice, high speed internet connection. No Apple Airplay and no Youtube, but if you are not already locked into the Apple ecosystem, it is nice device.

Dish Network (satellite tv) also has some very rudimentary, basic packages for around $20 - $30 / month if you dig around their website (welcome package).

Old 07-10-2013, 01:48 PM

2 posts, read 4,515 times
I noticed DirectTV has a current offer for new customers for about $50 a month (including all fees), you can get 150 channels, 3-month of free HBO, Showtime and free NFL Sunday package for the whole season. The only kicker is getting internet service which DirectTV claims you can get through one of their third party partners (Verizon, etc) with $15 off/month.

That is the best deal I've seen so far. I'm still exploring getting an antenna and Apple TV. I do have a Playstation 3 which is great for streaming Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Instant Video.

Old 07-10-2013, 03:54 PM

262 posts, read 451,750 times
Comments I've read here and there seem to indicate that Direct TV ultimately ends up being most expensive option; Dish Network probably cheapest in terms of mainstream options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia