Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 05:35 PM

67 posts, read 336,970 times

Advertisements

I have read threads of other people who are in transition into Northern Virginia. We have been looking at homes in the area. We have decided to rent instead of buying for several reasons.

Rentals? Can not tell you how disappointed we have been with the condition of rentals. First we looked at Townhouses that are within Fair Lakes area. Deplorable! We visited 6 that met our criteria. They were dirty, stinking, and most needed repair. Several had black mold in the bathrooms.

So we switched our search to rental homes. Homes? Again, deplorable. Disrepair, mold in baths, carpet that needs cleaning....whole house needing cleaning. Only one agent/owner mentioned that he would paint and carpet clean before we moved in. Ha! The house has been empty for over 60 days and still the place reeked.

What gives? Is the rental market that good that owners treat their assets so shabbily? Is this normal for this part of the country?

We are just surprised, shocked, disappointed. We will be very very careful when it is time for us to purchase a home in this area. If people allow water to collect near the base of their homes, allow mold to grow in their house, allow algae to grow on the vinyl siding, what else are they permitting?

Fascinating place you call NOVA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 05:50 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,776,049 times
I'm sorry you had such a bad experience, I'm a current homeowner but previously rented apartments, townhomes and a house (the house was my fav.) - they all were perfectly fine. Might I ask how you are finding the places you are looking at? Locate a realtor that will show you rentals if you aren't using one.

Old 11-08-2007, 06:10 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,999,813 times
Wow, surprising. I assume tenants (renters) are more likely to neglect properties than actual owners. So maybe these places have been rented out for many years and the owners haven't done any repairs, updates, etc. If they can rent them without replacing the carpet, etc., then why not?

Old 11-08-2007, 06:52 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,683,200 times
Unfortunately you may need to either increase the amount you're willing to spend on rent or be willing to increase your commute to get something nicer in your price range. The places you're looking at may normally be rented out to college students or large groups of low-income immigrants who didn't have the time, money, and/or interest in keeping the places nice. The owners may have been having problems keeping up financially due to the housing market slump, and not have the financial resources to fix up and upgrade. There are plenty of nice places, you'll just have to be willing to pay more or commute longer to afford one of them.

Old 11-08-2007, 08:22 PM

349 posts, read 1,430,973 times
Most the rentals I've ever looked at around here were hit or miss. It just depends on who's managing them and how old they are. Did you look at 6 townhomes in the same development or all around. Maybe try looking at a new development, there are some that are being rented out by owners due to the slumping housing market. I did that awhile back and basically lived in a brand new condo which was much nicer than the apts I had been looking at for the same price.

Old 11-08-2007, 10:54 PM

109 posts, read 611,429 times
This "black mold" you are referring to, I would BET is mildew... which occurs when you don't run the ventilation fan or open a window when you take a shower! Not a big deal, just ventilate & you don't have the problem... oh and clean, too. As for algae growing on the siding... again, not a big deal! If the side of the house is in the shade, and no sun hits it, algae or moss can & will grow. In Northern VA and other places too!! Power washing is a simple fix, we do ours every year. As for the rentals you are seeing, you did not mention the price range, and the lower the price range the ickier they will be. Usually... I've looked at some pricey rentals too that were not clean. Also you did not mention where you are coming from.... the Land of Clean & Pristine, evidentally, but what state would that be in?

Old 11-09-2007, 04:49 AM

2,462 posts, read 8,921,570 times
For rentals, your best bet is to rent from diplomats or other families who have been posted overseas. These homes are in far better condition than the typical investor rentals, because the owners are planning to return and live in them. As you've discovered, homes that have been long-term rentals are often poorly maintained. Most of our State Dept. neighbors who have rented out their homes have worked through real estate agents.

Old 11-09-2007, 09:55 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,886,424 times
what is your price range? That may have alot to with the condition of the places you are seeing.

I know out here in Leesburg/Ashburn there are ALOT of very nice houses for rent but they are 1800-2000k per month.

Old 11-12-2007, 07:33 AM

67 posts, read 336,970 times
We looked at rental Townhouses all around Fairfax. We looked at rental homes all around Fairfax, Vienna and into South Riding. We have been working with a realtor from Long & Foster. We did finally find a rental home. New, barely lived in. It is a bit farther out of Fairfax than I wanted originally, but it will do for now.

The comment about maybe renters just moved out - well, no. Most of the properties had been vacant for over 30 days. Plenty of time for the management/ agent to clean it up. AND the one owner/agent who said He "would" clean it up and paint before we arrived - well, his property had been vacant for over 2 months. How could I assume he would indeed clean it up before the moving van showed up. Really!!

Interesting experience. My husband will be working near Fair Lakes area. I haven't a job yet but will start looking after the first of the year. We need a few days to move in and find the dishes!!

Old 11-12-2007, 07:47 AM

90 posts, read 367,137 times
Default Fair Ridge TH

I own a townhouse in Fair Ridge that I am in the process of renovating. It had been my home for 12 years and then a rental for the past eight. Renters have been very hard on it, so I had the kitchen completely ripped out and am installing new everything. Many things will be replaced and that which isn't will be very clean. Please DM me if you want more information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia