Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 11:59 PM

3 posts, read 24,501 times

Advertisements

I'm graduating college in December and have accepted a position in Manassas. Also I am getting married in the summer and have two dogs so I've been looking for to rent a townhouse.

I went up to Manassas today and looked at a townhouse in Georgetown South. My fiance and I liked the townhouse, but my only concern is the neighborhood. The owner assured me that the neighborhood was just as safe as the rest of Manassas, but I'm not totally convinced.

After reading some posts about Manassas, Georgetown South seems to have a bad reputation. Is this a valid reputation, how bad is it in Georgetown South??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2007, 03:00 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,998,710 times
Hi,

Georgetown South has a pretty bad reputation. That being said, there was an article in the Manassas Journal Messenger in the last year, probably last 6 months, about how the neighborhood was undergoing a big clean-up and revival. I was glad for those living there, but still wouldn't go out of my way to move there.

OK, I just found something on how there is "Community Policing" in the neighborhood, which has been very successful over the last 10 years and will now be implemented in other neighborhoods of Manassas. Here's another article I found:

Enclave Looking To Bolster Security - washingtonpost.com

I wonder if you could get something over in Wellington which is nearby. I know there is a rental place with great reviews quite close, but I don't know about the dogs.

Old 11-26-2007, 07:24 AM

352 posts, read 1,591,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g0ld2k View Post
I'm graduating college in December and have accepted a position in Manassas. Also I am getting married in the summer and have two dogs so I've been looking for to rent a townhouse.

I went up to Manassas today and looked at a townhouse in Georgetown South. My fiance and I liked the townhouse, but my only concern is the neighborhood. The owner assured me that the neighborhood was just as safe as the rest of Manassas, but I'm not totally convinced.

After reading some posts about Manassas, Georgetown South seems to have a bad reputation. Is this a valid reputation, how bad is it in Georgetown South??
RUN!!

As the frequent posters will attest, I am a big supporter (and/or apologist, depending on the point of view!) of Manassas, particularly outside of Manassas City. There is no way, however, I can advocate you and your fiancee moving to Georgetown South. The neighborhood is dangerous, drug-infested, and has gang violence. There are only a couple of neighborhoods in the entire Northern Virginia area which are as truly bad as Georgetown South. (Williamstown, Bayview and Coverstone in Prince William, Crack Alley/Woodlawn Gardens in Fairfax County come to mind).

Manassas can be and often is a beautiful place to live, and this shouldn't dissuade you from looking in the area. Anything along Sudley Manor Drive should be quite acceptable for a townhouse rental, and while Bannerwood and Bristoe Station aren't ideal, they are much nicer/safer than Georgetown South. Just please, please, stay away from Georgetown South (and Irongate). You'll thank me later.

Welcome to Prince William County!

Old 11-26-2007, 08:29 AM

Thanks for the info guys, I found a rental house in Winterset that I'm going to go check out this week. I'm going to assume that the Winterset neighborhood is better.

Old 11-26-2007, 12:02 PM

352 posts, read 1,591,490 times
Quote:
Thanks for the info guys, I found a rental house in Winterset that I'm going to go check out this week. I'm going to assume that the Winterset neighborhood is better.
Yes, indeed it is. I've heard a little bit of crime rumblings regarding the rental community on 7th Regiment - the name escapes me - but it's nowhere near what Georgetown South is.

Welcome to Prince William County... er, Manassas City!

Old 11-29-2007, 01:16 PM

555 posts, read 2,701,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knopfler View Post
RUN!!

As the frequent posters will attest, I am a big supporter (and/or apologist, depending on the point of view!) of Manassas, particularly outside of Manassas City. There is no way, however, I can advocate you and your fiancee moving to Georgetown South. The neighborhood is dangerous, drug-infested, and has gang violence. There are only a couple of neighborhoods in the entire Northern Virginia area which are as truly bad as Georgetown South. (Williamstown, Bayview and Coverstone in Prince William, Crack Alley/Woodlawn Gardens in Fairfax County come to mind).

Manassas can be and often is a beautiful place to live, and this shouldn't dissuade you from looking in the area. Anything along Sudley Manor Drive should be quite acceptable for a townhouse rental, and while Bannerwood and Bristoe Station aren't ideal, they are much nicer/safer than Georgetown South. Just please, please, stay away from Georgetown South (and Irongate). You'll thank me later.

Welcome to Prince William County!
TOTALLY agree with Knopfler. However I wouldn't run, i would drive as fast as possible away from there!!! In all seriousness, I sent you a PM. Knopfler has it down so i won't repost. All the areas he posted are real S holes, stay away.

Old 11-29-2007, 01:17 PM

555 posts, read 2,701,012 times
Quote:
I remember everything by street names, what's a couple of streets there?

Old 11-29-2007, 04:12 PM

The rental house I'm looking at is off Dumfries Rd down near Hasting Drive.

I'm defiantly steering clear of G'town South.

Old 11-29-2007, 04:49 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,998,710 times
Yes, that's basically "Wellington" - by the Giant, Bloom, etc. Sounds OK to me.

Old 11-30-2007, 08:58 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,808,257 times
Quote:

If you are going to rent......rent in Centerville then. I would stay away from Manassas....not only does it have a bunch of bad neighborhoods, the people there are still living the 1990's; so far behind from everyone else. It's too country; all that KKK stuff still goes on there.

RUN AWAY....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia