U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 08:28 PM

6 posts, read 14,832 times

Advertisements

My fiancee and I are getting married and looking to buy a single-family home with a budget of $325,000. Looking for a 3-bedroom and if a little TLC is needed, that is not an issue. We do not have kids yet, but are looking to start in the near future. I am a teacher in LCPS in Ashburn and he does HVAC for Marriott in the Dulles area. Our combined salary is currently $110,000.

Also, is Sterling Park as bad as I've heard it is? Any recommendations of affordable areas to buy would be great appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 10:16 PM

267 posts, read 442,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eea5016 View Post
Also, is Sterling Park as bad as I've heard it is? Any recommendations of affordable areas to buy would be great appreciated!!
No it isn't. And if you're looking for a SFH for under $300K then Sterling Park is probably your only option unless you want to live in the western part of Loudoun.

Its an older neighborhood with smaller houses and everything isn't new and shiny like it is in Ashburn. But the crime is not significantly worse than Herndon, Reston, or Leesburg.

Old 07-21-2013, 08:16 AM

232 posts, read 294,752 times
I just moved to the area (less than 2 mon ago) from across the country. For what it's worth, I looked at places in Sterling Park and found the area to seem safe and clean; definitely "older". But no major red flags in my opinion.

I really did not care for Sugarland Run area - personally; I am sure others may say different.

I know that you mentioned a SFH but wanted to share that in this area (at least compared to WA state where I moved from) townhomes are constructed very well - i.e..minimal noise from neighbor to neighbor. They also seem to maintain/grow value at a faster rate than my old home town too. You will most likely get a bit more for your money if you consider a townhome. (Most of the HOA dues for the townhomes/homes I looked at were similar so that is not a significant added cost.)

Ashburn area definitely presented well with a family environment.

I purchased in the Cascades area of Sterling and I love this area. Great choice for me.

Good luck!

Old 07-22-2013, 07:57 AM

2,380 posts, read 3,874,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eea5016 View Post
My fiancee and I are getting married and looking to buy a single-family home with a budget of $325,000. Looking for a 3-bedroom and if a little TLC is needed, that is not an issue. We do not have kids yet, but are looking to start in the near future. I am a teacher in LCPS in Ashburn and he does HVAC for Marriott in the Dulles area. Our combined salary is currently $110,000.

Park View HS (and its feeders) score far lower than other LCPS on the SOL tests and SATs ...

On a salary of $110k you can take a mortgage of 3x your salary without too much pain -- so that's $330k.

You have some choices in Leesburg. Western Loudoun ends up being more expensive due to zoning, etc., restrictions.

You could consider West Va. if you are ok with a longer commute. Likewise you could consider the Haymarket area. But, I think there's enough in Leesburg to make it worth your while, and 217 South St. SE seems like it might be up your alley if you have a few bucks for immediate renovations and the patience for ongoing projects.

Old 07-22-2013, 02:20 PM

2,129 posts, read 2,913,501 times
I agree with SPHokie, Sterling Park is not so bad and it may well be your only option given your price range. Either that or look further west. You might also want to look at townhouses too.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:25 PM

447 posts, read 1,004,798 times
If you can stretch your budget, check out 35 Fenton Wood Dr, Sterling, 20165 - $380,000. In Countryside area of Sterling, which is also nice. Just came on market today.

Old 07-24-2013, 06:06 AM

232 posts, read 294,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCPA View Post
If you can stretch your budget, check out 35 Fenton Wood Dr, Sterling, 20165 - $380,000. In Countryside area of Sterling, which is also nice. Just came on market today.
I definitely agree - the cost is definitely higher than what you had outlined, but I looked at a place in that area (live now about a mile away) and Countryside was what I remembered of being a great neighborhood. (I looked at 35 houses/TH from Sterling - Ashburn in a 2 day period so remembering anything says something!)

Old 07-24-2013, 08:47 AM

771 posts, read 1,210,146 times
Sterling Park has some very nice areas. A couple that come to mind are Magnolia Rd. and Stablehouse Dr. which I think are really nice.

It also has some areas that I would consider less appealing such as Sterling Boulevard. Not necessarily bad or unsafe, but here you will find things like less groomed yards, visible piles of junk...stuff like that which can make a neighborhood less visually attractive.

But you can definitely find a home in the $350K in the nicer areas of Sterling Park. I would probably prefer an HOA to be present, but this is not something everyone likes.

Old 07-25-2013, 06:57 AM

52 posts, read 83,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post
On a salary of $110k you can take a mortgage of 3x your salary without too much pain -- so that's $330k.

Just clarifying what everyone in NOVA is doing -still following this decent rule of thumb. This is in addition to whatever down payment you can afford, correct? So the OP can afford 330K mortgage + (OP's available amount for down payment) = total house.

Old 07-25-2013, 07:56 AM

2,380 posts, read 3,874,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JokerABC View Post
Just clarifying what everyone in NOVA is doing -still following this decent rule of thumb. This is in addition to whatever down payment you can afford, correct? So the OP can afford 330K mortgage + (OP's available amount for down payment) = total house.
Yes. Now you could go up to 4, maybe even 5x your income as the mortgage, but this leads to Ramen noodles, sleeping on floor mattresses, etc. And it's no fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or