Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2013, 09:23 AM

979 posts, read 1,776,057 times

Advertisements

We returned home from an overnight trip yesterday evening to find our home a refreshing 85 degrees. Our A/C unit was squeaking a bit, so we shut it off, and when we turned it back on, nothin' (not even the squeaking). Just dead.

I've called at least 7 different contractors this morning (based on Angie's List and recommendations from local neighbors and friends), and AllTech is the only company that can actually come out today. They only have two reviews on Angie's List and four on Yelp. Was just wondering if anyone here had any experience with them. I'm hoping they're honest and fair since I really don't want to have to wait any longer to get this fixed! But it makes me very nervous to not get multiple quotes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 09:38 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,893,272 times
never used them,

but I wouldn't be surprised if it's the capacitor in your outside unit. Last time I had one replaced I believe it was around $300 total (parts/labor)

Old 07-22-2013, 10:27 AM

4,437 posts, read 8,131,234 times
Never used them, but I've had good luck with Woody's: Air Conditioning Units, Heat Pumps & Repair Systems Manassas | Heating and Cooling, Air Conditioning Contractors Manassas, Woodbridge, Gainesville & Centreville, Virginia (VA)

My AC unit stopped working last Wednesday. Unfortunately this was during the heat wave and they couldn't come out till Friday. Well they came during the window and the tech diagnosed it in minutes. He had it repaired with 30 minutes and the AC was blasting cool air again. While he was there he checked the freon and it was still at good levels, considering the unit is 16yrs old! He was personable and also explained what he was doing. Also he suggested that I wash the outside condenser unit with a hose as the filter looked like it was dirty. I did after he left and a lot of dirt came off. Not sure if it's in my mind, but I think the AC is actually cooler now than it was before.

This is the 2nd time they've repaired the unit. The first was about $300 and this second time only $171!! They've never given me the hard sell, just said that I should start saving for a new one as it's near the end of life. I recommended them to my coworker and she too had a good experience. I'm in no way affiliated with them, just passing on my experience. I think I've found a company I can trust so I'm sticking to them for now.

The bad thing with getting multiple quotes is that each HVAC company will charge a diagnostics fee. This has been my experience. Call them up and ask if there is a free quote before they send a tech out.

Old 07-22-2013, 11:05 AM

They fixed it! $259 total. Replaced the capacitor (good call, kww!). Took all of maybe 10 minutes. So glad someone could come out same day! And when he said capacitor, I remembered the $300 figure, so I didn't feel ripped off when he gave me the total. Thankful for this forum today

Last edited by jillybean720; 07-22-2013 at 11:46 AM..

Old 07-22-2013, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
The bad thing with getting multiple quotes is that each HVAC company will charge a diagnostics fee.
Yup. All of them charge around $100 just to look, not fix. I hate that. I would have gotten multiple, though, if they told me I needed a new unit or something that would cost $1k+. I'm glad this worked out to be relatively minor.

Old 07-22-2013, 05:34 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,675,888 times
Once you find a decent HVAC company, ask them about a service contract. They cost a couple hundred per year, which gets you twice yearly checkups. The best part is, when your system craps out, you are a priority call....in front of all the non-contract callers.

Old 07-22-2013, 06:27 PM

947 posts, read 1,402,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Once you find a decent HVAC company, ask them about a service contract. They cost a couple hundred per year, which gets you twice yearly checkups. The best part is, when your system craps out, you are a priority call....in front of all the non-contract callers.
Totally agree with Car54 on this. The contract I have with my HVAC company costs $139 a year (has been the same cost for over 10 years) for which I get a furnace check in autumn and an A/C check in spring. When the furnace was dying during a cold snap a couple of years ago, the company had a new one installed within 24 hours and kept the old one on life support until then. And especially with furnaces, I like the peace of mind in knowing that it's checked out annually for such safety issues as gas leaks, carbon monoxide, etc.

Old 07-22-2013, 07:51 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
They fixed it! $259 total. Replaced the capacitor (good call, kww!). Took all of maybe 10 minutes. So glad someone could come out same day! And when he said capacitor, I remembered the $300 figure, so I didn't feel ripped off when he gave me the total. Thankful for this forum today
glad it was a quick and "relatively" cheap fix.

sadly, it will likely go out again, at the hottest time of the year. very common unfortunately

Old 07-23-2013, 08:15 AM

957 posts, read 2,022,046 times
I know not everyone is the do-it-yourself type, but capacitor issues are common and they are cheap. The capacitor for my system is $18 at Granger, and with a screwdriver and a wrench it can be replaced in 3 minutes. There is electricity involved, so please make sure to shut off power to the system, and realize that capacitors can hold a charge, but there are tons of how-to videos on youtube for anyone willing to try. For the $18 investment, I keep a spare at home, just in case. Much better than the panic of trying to find an HVAC guy in the middle of summer (or paying $300), and I can always try to replace it first if I have a problem, and if it doesn't fix it, I know I really do need the pros.

Glad the OP's problem was solved quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia