U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 08:08 AM

1,444 posts, read 2,124,419 times

Advertisements

**I have seen other yard posts as they pertain to our locality, so please leave the post here, THANKS.**

I am arguably in the NOVA area (Spotsylvania)

I have tried the Scotts grows anywhere stuff and the Pennington brand as well (forgot the name).
I tried the sun mix and the shade mix. I can seed the area and it grows beautifully after about 3 weeks of sun and water. Then suddenly after a few weeks and within a day with very little warning, the area goes brown instantly. I know that the area is largely clover, and that is fine with me as long as it is green.

Here is a sample of what I am dealing with.

Last edited by va_lucky; 07-28-2013 at 08:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 08:22 AM

593 posts, read 857,966 times
bugs can destroy grass roots.
How to Recognize and Control Lawn Insects - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com

Old 07-28-2013, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemming95 View Post
Interesting, but would the grass keep dying in the exact same areas with the exact same outline?

Old 07-28-2013, 09:05 AM

5,740 posts, read 8,971,886 times
Could dogs be peeing there? Definitely has that appearance.

Old 07-28-2013, 09:25 AM

2,675 posts, read 4,535,676 times
I heard the garden guy on WTOP say that the heavy and continuing rains for most of the beginning of the summer have allowed a certain grass-root-destroying fungus to thrive. According to him, it is more destructive where people have "over-fertilized" their lawns, though I don't quite understand why that should be true.

We do have a few pet spots, and I have put down a bit more than average insecticide at the right times of the year, but still have lots of these brown patches that clearly aren't pet spots and shouldn't be insect spots. Everyone with a yard to whom I have talked says they have these brown patches too. So I believe the fungus could be our problem -- and yours.

I don't know whether letting the lawn dry out a bit more will also kill the fungus, or if something else is required, but that is what I am trying. I am planning to reseed over peat moss mixed with the soil, once the weather cools this fall and growing conditions are good.

Maybe someone is planning a trip soon to Merrifield Gardens and can ask the experts there.

Here's one article on fungus problems and what to do about them:

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/kill-fu...ass-41924.html

Old 07-28-2013, 09:27 AM

127 posts, read 306,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by va_lucky View Post
Interesting, but would the grass keep dying in the exact same areas with the exact same outline?
I'm not an expert but I think they could. We were dealing with grubs and had pretty much the same "dead" pattern for 2 years in a row. Might be worth looking into it?

Old 07-28-2013, 09:28 AM

5,740 posts, read 8,971,886 times
If you think it's grubs, there's stuff called MilkySpore that you can use to get rid of them.

Old 07-28-2013, 11:06 AM

1,356 posts, read 1,395,706 times
If you have a female dog, it is likely caused by the dog's urine which can change the pH of the area where she keeps peeing.

No matter what the cause, reseed in the fall and don't bother trying seeding in August.

Old 07-28-2013, 10:21 PM

Thanks everyone. I do have a female dog but the area is much larger than pictured. Like 20 times as large in total. Maybe I should check the PH? I'll investigate the organism scenarios and reseed in the Fall as an experiment.

Old 07-29-2013, 02:42 PM

42 posts, read 117,872 times
When are you planting your seed?

I had a long conversation (I am originally from Ohio) with our lawn guy about NoVA weather and planting grass. He told me that the only time to really plant grass here successfully is in the Fall. The Spring plantings don't have enough time to establish root systems before getting too hot and drying out in July/August. I would recommend laying down some nice top soil on top of the ground in the picture and planting seed again in early September. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia