U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 06:33 PM

7,970 posts, read 9,735,332 times

Advertisements

I happened to have the occasion to visit old town Manassas for the first time today. In order to get there, my GPS took me 234 (Business) from 66. After exiting, I noticed that there is a two mile stretch completely packed with chain retain and restaurants. There is nothing else. Every single fast food, chain restaurant, big box store and smaller chain retail is present. For two straight miles, that is all you get.

When I was driving through, I made a comment that I was so glad that I didn't live any closer than 35 minutes from this stretch of retail. But, due to the traffic, I realized that many people were certainly glad to have this close by.

So, while I am someone who would definitely not buy anywhere close to such a place (i.e if I had to travel on this stretch often to get to my home or work, I wouldn't buy), I wondered if this stretch of retail is actually a bonus to some people.

So, would anyone actually count being close to this stretch of retail as a bonus and choose a house because of it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 06:45 PM

3,557 posts, read 3,465,969 times
I only go there if I want to go to Barnes and Noble. Traffic is usually pretty bad. You're right that everything is just lined up along the stretch. At least around Potomac Mills things are spread out over a wide area.

Old 07-28-2013, 07:39 PM

7,970 posts, read 9,735,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grsz11 View Post
I only go there if I want to go to Barnes and Noble.
I happened to go to the used bookstore in old town Manassas - what a treasure! These relics are hard to come by these days.

(sorry, I may have unintentionally hijacked my own thread......)

Old 07-28-2013, 08:06 PM

968 posts, read 1,449,756 times
I wouldn't want to live right in that area due to the traffic, but when I lived in Manassas, I appreciated having pretty much everything close by without having to trek to Fairfax or Woodbridge. Even when I lived in Woodbridge, Manassas had some things not available in Woodbridge, and it was easier to just head down Prince William Parkway than to try to get up into Fairfax County.

Old 07-28-2013, 11:39 PM

8,569 posts, read 12,692,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
I happened to go to the used bookstore in old town Manassas - what a treasure! These relics are hard to come by these days.

(sorry, I may have unintentionally hijacked my own thread......)
Love McKay's! And for that reason alone, I used to go to Manassas often. 234 is certainly not the prettiest stretch of road, and nothing but big box stores and fast food joints for miles does not usually equate to a prime living area. But is convenient if you have a lot of shopping to get done, since it's all pretty much in one place. I imagine living nearby but not right on top of it would be quite convenient.

Old 07-29-2013, 02:57 AM

6,597 posts, read 10,915,530 times
I'm not sure I understand the constant bashing of Manassas but if it makes you feel better then by all means have at it. I'm in Manassas and I avoid this stretch of 234 most everytime I am out and about. Traffic is a pain there but it does have pretty much everything you need. Don't like it then come into Manassas a different way. 28 from Centreville (still traffic) or go to the next exit off 66 (234 bypass and come in that way)

Old 07-29-2013, 03:37 AM

664 posts, read 1,626,227 times
I live well within 35 minutes of that stretch (within 10 minutes, even!) and I am fine with it. Neither my husband nor I have to go near this stretch to get to/from work. While traffic can be bad at certain times of day, there are ways to avoid it--for example I live off of Sudley Manor Drive, but if I want to go to the shopping center where McKay's is, I don't go down Sudley Manor and travel 235--instead I will take Ashton or another back road and cross over 234 using Rixlew Ln.

Old 07-29-2013, 05:47 AM

10,136 posts, read 11,662,910 times
I used to live off of Sudley and I can tell you I enjoyed being close to all this stuff, but consider the fact that I grew up off of Indian Head Highway in MD, if you compare the two, you can see why I enjoyed Manassas. And by the way, with that said, some people enjoy the chain restaurants that are located in the area. Some of the chains off that road are kind of rare for our region like Logan's Roadhouse, Don Pablo's, Cracker Barrel, or even Roy Rogers. If you are big on non-chain local establishments, then Old Town is a good alternative, but if you like the chains, it can be really nice. I actually kind of miss living in Manassas. Granted the schools and some of the neighborhoods around there leave a lot to be desired, but living on the outer parts of Manassas or even in Bristow, I would imagine is very nice. To each his/her own.

Old 07-29-2013, 06:03 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,088,411 times
Yep, I liked that everything was so close by. I do always see a Manassas hate vibe coming from a lot of posters on this forum, and have you seen Yelp? Geez, every review of the stores/restaurants on 234 start out with "unfortunately I'm in Manassas, but..." or something like that. Manassas is a great city to live in with a lot of things to do close by. Hungry late at night? Just cruise down Sudley Road. Bored? Do the same thing, you'll find something to do. I see it as a good thing

Old 07-29-2013, 06:47 AM

2,728 posts, read 7,370,244 times
If you think about it, the Battlefield has major annual events and 234 Business is close to a major highway. So if you're going to DC for a weekend, stay in Manassas because it's going to be a lot cheaper plus it's only an hour or less. So what if it has a bunch of ugly signs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or