U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 10:04 AM

7 posts, read 15,223 times

Advertisements

Hello All, I am hoping you can answer my questions!!

My husband has accepted an offer for a position in Herndon, VA. We are looking to buy - not rent - a house in the area within 30-45 minute commute - if not closer. I work from home - so we both will be working. Here are the facts, we make over $200K combined, are expecting our first child, have family working in DC. We are looking to buy, not rent- I know it is smart to rent, we are now, but we are ready to buy - so while I respect your opinions on renting, that is not the plan and not was I am asking about.

We want a single family home - no town home w/ 4+ bedrooms, 2 car garage, fenced in yard (or at least a big enough one where we can fence it in). Schools matter, because although we are just expecting our child and it will be sometime before they are in school--- you have to be smart and think about the resale value.

Where are some good areas to live that have nice houses w/in our price range, good school districts, and good restaurants/grocery stores within 10-15 commute...

Reston area? Stay in Herndon? What are some neighborhoods you suggest we see? Which areas should we stay away from? We plan on going this weekend to check the area out and would like to not waste times in areas that would not be good.

Thank you for your input!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 10:11 AM

7,968 posts, read 9,725,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaRomano View Post
Hello All, I am hoping you can answer my questions!!

My husband has accepted an offer for a position in Herndon, VA. We are looking to buy - not rent - a house in the area within 30-45 minute commute - if not closer. I work from home - so we both will be working. Here are the facts, we make over $200K combined, are expecting our first child, have family working in DC. We are looking to buy, not rent- I know it is smart to rent, we are now, but we are ready to buy - so while I respect your opinions on renting, that is not the plan and not was I am asking about.

We want a single family home - no town home w/ 4+ bedrooms, 2 car garage, fenced in yard (or at least a big enough one where we can fence it in). Schools matter, because although we are just expecting our child and it will be sometime before they are in school--- you have to be smart and think about the resale value.

Where are some good areas to live that have nice houses w/in our price range, good school districts, and good restaurants/grocery stores within 10-15 commute...

Reston area? Stay in Herndon? What are some neighborhoods you suggest we see? Which areas should we stay away from? We plan on going this weekend to check the area out and would like to not waste times in areas that would not be good.

Thank you for your input!!
Tina - Why do you think you will get differnet answers than your husband?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aromano2 View Post
While I appreciate the opinions on here, all I am trying to gather is information about the different areas. I am not looking for a financial advisor and/or a life coach. Just because other 20 somethings don't live in a house, doesn't mean I cannot either. I'm doing research on here so that I DON'T buy in an area we regret. We fully plan on visiting numerous times obviously before buying, we just don't know where to start. Regardless of renting or buying, we are looking for a HOUSE, 3-4 bedrooms, decent area close to shopping, restaurants etc. Good schools are a must (even if I have a non-existent child). If anyone has USEFUL information on the surrounding areas, please feel free to contribute.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:12 AM

3,557 posts, read 3,463,433 times
Is the double post necessary?

Old 07-30-2013, 10:22 AM

7 posts, read 15,223 times
Well geez! I thought I'd add more detail to help! Plus, I wanted better answers than "use RedFin". Come on, just looking for a little help here.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:31 AM

244 posts, read 484,331 times
With your combined salary, you can live pretty much anywhere you want in Northern Virginia, except for some exclusive neighborhoods like Woodlea Mill, or Langley Forest. Take a look at Vienna.

Do you have your 20% down payment saved up?

Old 07-30-2013, 11:52 AM

2,005 posts, read 3,541,391 times
Your husband indicated that you want to say under $500K for a detached home. Reston would be a great place for your family, but you will need to up your price range to between $550K and $650K and concentrate on the South Lakes and Hunters Woods areas.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:54 AM

1,831 posts, read 2,600,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaRomano View Post
Well geez! I thought I'd add more detail to help! Plus, I wanted better answers than "use RedFin". Come on, just looking for a little help here.
Probably better to have combined the two but I didn't see the other post at first. I've replied on it.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:00 PM

504 posts, read 1,028,011 times
Looks like someone in Herndon is on a hiring spree (a lot of posts lately on jobs in Herndon)!

I would stay in Herndon and its surrounding areas. On the 20% down, you really need more, like 30-35%, if you really want to be in a strong position while competing with other buyers in certain locations.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:26 PM

7,968 posts, read 9,725,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lqda4 View Post
Looks like someone in Herndon is on a hiring spree (a lot of posts lately on jobs in Herndon)!
Yes, Amazon is.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:29 PM

1,339 posts, read 2,971,532 times
Oakton! Oakton!! Oakton!!! :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia