Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 12:48 PM

15,431 posts, read 25,814,526 times

Advertisements

Perhaps a dumb question, but got to ask anyways. We have a signed lease for moving to Virginia from Md. The date of our move is the 23rd. My daughter is asking if there is any way to transfer drivers license to Virginia a week before that, since she has to leave for college then? She says that that she will not have time to sit at the DMV once school starts. We do have the signed lease but it is dated to begin on the 23rd. I'm transferring mine after that date, but she doesn't want to wait. Is that possible? I know it's kind of a dumb question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 12:51 PM

3,555 posts, read 4,095,439 times
I had to show proof of residence, but I don't think they looked at it close enough to see when the date was. But of course, it could vary from location to location because well, it's the DMV.

Old 08-01-2013, 12:57 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,264,317 times
From the DMV site
https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/apps/do...residency.aspx

Old 08-01-2013, 01:45 PM

232 posts, read 361,657 times
When I moved I had to show proof of change of address from post office and/or mail addressed to me at that address. Believe change of address with copy of lease or mortgage papers could work. They did look closely when I was there.

Old 08-01-2013, 02:17 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,784,967 times
I wouldn't risk it. Chance are you'll go wait for an hour, get up to the DMV agent, and then they'll say, sorry, come back when your lease starts. In my experience, they were very particular and looked at my docs very closely. We signed our lease electronically and they even had a hard time accepting that - had to go talk to some manager "in the back" to see if they could accept it.

Old 08-01-2013, 04:09 PM

148 posts, read 296,750 times
Why would she have to change it over immediately. I know the rules, but I would think that most of us don't change them over for some time and everything is okay. Perhaps she could wait until her break from college in order to change it over.

I would love to say that we will change ours over right away, but with moving and everything that comes with it, it will probably be when our license plates are getting close to expiring from our current state. I am guessing with the responses that the DMV isn't known for being quick in Virginia. When I changed my drivers license over in Georgia, it took 5 hours. I hope it is better in Virginia!

Old 08-01-2013, 04:46 PM

15,431 posts, read 25,814,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BT Lover View Post
Why would she have to change it over immediately. I know the rules, but I would think that most of us don't change them over for some time and everything is okay. Perhaps she could wait until her break from college in order to change it over.

I would love to say that we will change ours over right away, but with moving and everything that comes with it, it will probably be when our license plates are getting close to expiring from our current state. I am guessing with the responses that the DMV isn't known for being quick in Virginia. When I changed my drivers license over in Georgia, it took 5 hours. I hope it is better in Virginia!
It has to be done within 30, or 60 in some cases, days of moving. There is no school break within the 30/60 days. We'll probably just drive down there and do it during the first few weeks of school.

Old 08-01-2013, 04:52 PM

148 posts, read 296,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
It has to be done within 30, or 60 in some cases, days of moving. There is no school break within the 30/60 days. We'll probably just drive down there and do it during the first few weeks of school.
I understand the law, what I am saying is that as long as she has a valid license, it can wait. If she happens to get a warning for some weird reason, she can do it then. If hers is expiring soon, that is an issue, but if not, it can wait. I have lived in a few states now and waited each and every single time without a problem. I don't imagine that Virginia will be any different.

Old 08-01-2013, 07:30 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,675,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BT Lover View Post
I understand the law, what I am saying is that as long as she has a valid license, it can wait. If she happens to get a warning for some weird reason, she can do it then. If hers is expiring soon, that is an issue, but if not, it can wait. I have lived in a few states now and waited each and every single time without a problem. I don't imagine that Virginia will be any different.

I think OP's urgency may be related to residency issues. You know, in-state tuition vs. out-of-state tuition?

Old 08-01-2013, 07:37 PM

3,555 posts, read 4,095,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
I think OP's urgency may be related to residency issues. You know, in-state tuition vs. out-of-state tuition?
Possibly, but you have to be a resident for a year before getting in state tuition. But for next year, yes you would want to do it a year before the next year's first day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia