U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2013, 09:24 PM

4 posts, read 8,850 times

Advertisements

Hi, we will be moving to Fairfax city in about three weeks from now. I need to commute to DC every day for work. Just wondering about the parking availability in Vienna metro vs Dunn poring metro at 8:30 am each day.

Also as my place is at equal distance to both these stations, which ever station offers a better chance of getting a parking spot.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 07:38 AM

136 posts, read 190,525 times
You have no chance at a parking spot in Vienna at that time. You used to have a much better chance at Dunn Loring until they started the construction there. I'm not sure when the new parking garage at DL will open, but once it's done, they will have more spots than they did previously.

You should consider getting a reserved spot at DL. It's $65 per month, but you're guaranteed a spot until 10AM. Plus, those spots are the closest to the station so you don't have to walk as far. DL is better for you than Vienna because it will put you one stop closer to the city. But either way, you will hate Metro.

Old 08-05-2013, 07:50 AM

5,070 posts, read 8,602,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC Merrifield View Post
You have no chance at a parking spot in Vienna at that time. You used to have a much better chance at Dunn Loring until they started the construction there. I'm not sure when the new parking garage at DL will open, but once it's done, they will have more spots than they did previously.

You should consider getting a reserved spot at DL. It's $65 per month, but you're guaranteed a spot until 10AM. Plus, those spots are the closest to the station so you don't have to walk as far. DL is better for you than Vienna because it will put you one stop closer to the city. But either way, you will hate Metro.
I ride Metro fairly often and I don't hate it. But I don't trust it entirely, either, and I did trust the MTA when I lived in NYC. The difference is that the NYC subway seemed absolutely essential to the functioning of the city and people made sure it functioned. Metro, on the other hand, is less reliable and feels more like a jobs program for people who aren't quite up to the task of running or operating a major transit system.

Having said that, driving by car from Dunn Loring to DC at 8:30 AM is no picnic, either, particularly once folks get back from their summer vacations.

Old 08-05-2013, 07:55 AM

144 posts, read 294,624 times
When I worked in DC, I just had my husband drop me off at the metro. Was way better than trying to find a parking spot. However, on the days that I had to drive myself... I usually could find a spot at the very top of the parking garage before 8:30. But, this was over 3 years ago... not sure if it has gotten worse since then.

Old 08-05-2013, 10:13 AM

136 posts, read 190,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
I ride Metro fairly often and I don't hate it. But I don't trust it entirely, either, and I did trust the MTA when I lived in NYC. The difference is that the NYC subway seemed absolutely essential to the functioning of the city and people made sure it functioned. Metro, on the other hand, is less reliable and feels more like a jobs program for people who aren't quite up to the task of running or operating a major transit system.

Having said that, driving by car from Dunn Loring to DC at 8:30 AM is no picnic, either, particularly once folks get back from their summer vacations.
But do you ride it for work every day? It's true that driving is also terrible - which is why I ride Metro - but Metro is only slightly less terrible. The general sense I get is that no one at WMATA really cares all that much. I'm sure there are some that do, but that's the overall impression that I get. For riders like the OP coming in from Vienna or DL, it's going to get worse when the silver line starts working. Of course, somewhat ironically, it might not get worse for a while because metro's general incompetence will delay the opening of the silver line.

As the previous comment notes, it's easier to have someone drop you off, but I'm assuming that's not an option for OP or else they would not have asked about parking. You could also take the bus to the metro, but that's relying on two forms of WMATA services. Yikes.

Old 08-05-2013, 11:01 AM

144 posts, read 294,624 times
Never know, dropping me off was never an option either but after the horror of trying to find parking... I made it be an option!

I also have to second that doing the metro thing was not fun at all. I did it for 2.5 years and it was miserable. The heat and/or air conditioning was always not working in the trains, constantly late or problems, packed in like sardines, and other various unplesantness. Every day I came home I was sweaty, tired and just felt icky. Also, after 20-30 minutes on the train I was always close to vomitting from all the stopping and starting. I had another co worker that drove in to DC from Fairfax instead of doing the metro and she was happy with it. She just came in later and left later.

Old 08-05-2013, 12:41 PM

2,772 posts, read 3,632,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC Merrifield View Post
But do you ride it for work every day? It's true that driving is also terrible - which is why I ride Metro - but Metro is only slightly less terrible. The general sense I get is that no one at WMATA really cares all that much. I'm sure there are some that do, but that's the overall impression that I get. For riders like the OP coming in from Vienna or DL, it's going to get worse when the silver line starts working. Of course, somewhat ironically, it might not get worse for a while because metro's general incompetence will delay the opening of the silver line.

As the previous comment notes, it's easier to have someone drop you off, but I'm assuming that's not an option for OP or else they would not have asked about parking. You could also take the bus to the metro, but that's relying on two forms of WMATA services. Yikes.
Not true, a ton of buses in this area are not even operated by WMATA (FFX Connector). My wife takes it to WFC currently (waiting for Silver line) and it actually takes less time now than when she used to drive and park at WFC.

I hear a lot of problems with WMATA, but alot of those come from transfers (which are a problem with every mass transit system) and with the general screw job that has been the past 3 years (and another 7 years evidently) of repairs that will keep on going. A lot of this is a circumstance of management over the past 30 years that ignored upkeep.

As far as WMATA employees caring? I always get so confused about this. If you are a commuter what do you care if WMATA people are nice or helpful? You should be on a routine I would assume, no need for help. Now tourists I could see that being a problem, but I could care less other than the complete fund robbing that continues to occur because of these employees at WMATA of course

I'm just confused whenever people say its tough to ride WMATA. Its not tough, its frustrating sometimes when some days you have a 10 minute headway and others a 3 minute. When sometimes the trains line up and you get no wait for transfer and most of the time when you just barely missed the last one, but compared to the random Chaos that is accidents on our highway network, its still a lot more predictable (unless you are a 6AM commuter, then yes that is the best way to do it if you can keep it up)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia