U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2013, 11:12 AM

1 posts, read 922 times

Advertisements

I walked in my basement and felt the carpet was wet. After doing some troubleshooting. I concluded that the condensation tubes were clogged. I dumped drano in the pipe and flushed with water. The water started to flow at a decent pace. I sucked up as much water with a steam cleaner as possible. I had fans running over night. I went back again this morning and its not completely dry. The carpet is starting to stain. Before I call in someone. I was thinking of pulling back the carpet and checking underneath. I think the carpet can be salvaged but not sure about the padding. I am having trouble finding the seems in the carpet. Can I cut the carpet by the wall and pull it back without ruining the carpet? As you can tell I am not the mosty handy person so I just want to make sure I dont make it worse. Any suggestions would be welcomed.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 12:10 PM

12,059 posts, read 14,046,729 times
Well, I wouldn't cut the carpet.

You can either call a place like ServPro who is used to water damage and how to recover a house from it.

The steam cleaner you used probably wasn't strong enough to pull out water from underneath the carpet. You could call a place like Stanley Steemer or somebody with truck mounted carpet cleaning machine. These are going to do a better job of pulling the water out.

You can lift the carpet up off the carpet tacks (usually located under the molding around the bottom of your wall. Pull it back and let it dry.

Time is of the essence, though, as you don't want mold/mildew to set it.

Old 08-04-2013, 01:18 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,063,665 times
A dehumidifier (which extracts water from the air) works better than household fans. You should probably have one for your basement regardless, but it would help in this situation. And I agree with ChristineVA (when we had heavy rains 6-7 years ago, the newly carpeted basement flooded despite a sump pump system, which has since been extended, and we had to have this done).

Old 08-04-2013, 01:28 PM

1,608 posts, read 1,838,529 times
You might want to call your home owners insurance company and report it. Replacing a carpet can get expensive and you would need to call them before you too much yourself. Did any wall board get wet? Is there wetness behind the wall that will grow mold?

I second the idea of using a dehumidifier. Although drying a carpet will take time.

Old 08-04-2013, 01:45 PM

232 posts, read 330,490 times
My old house flooded a couple of years ago due to a burst water pipe. The first thing that the repair company did was pull back the carpet and the pad; and there were so many commercial fans running that I had to have extension cords to pull from other outlets due to overload that circuit.

Even with that, and it was caught quickly, they did not believe that the pad was salvageable.

I agree with the others. You have to get someone in there; and ensure that there isn't anything that could create mold. A call to your insurance company is definitely in order as well.

Good luck.

Old 08-05-2013, 02:19 PM

1,339 posts, read 3,263,512 times
Twice I have had water damage on my carpet and each time I was told that the pad had to be replaced. The third time, I pulled back the carpet from the edge of the wall, and then cut out a section of the wet pad, put in a new pad and then put the carpet back.

Old 08-05-2013, 02:51 PM

14,224 posts, read 6,841,479 times
Since carpet is made with latex glue(water soluble), it needs to be dried quickly. It also will grow mold if not dried fast. The pad, almost always needs to be replaced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia