Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 09:29 AM

10 posts, read 9,160 times

Advertisements

Hi all

Long time reader de-lurking here. You guys are so helpful with your local insights.

My question is as above. We're thinking of moving to the NoVA area with work near F'burg. I understand that on Google Maps it's about 35 miles or so and maybe 40 minutes in the AM commute - is this realistic barring any accidents?

NOW.... fast forward 2-3 years. .. the 95 HOT lanes are in place. Will they have an effect on a Lorton to F'burg commute ( I understand the 95 HOT ends near Garrisonville near STafford)? How much do you feel a 40 minute commute could be shaved down by?

All your responses are critical in our decision making. I'm counting on you folks!! please help us out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 09:38 AM

671 posts, read 1,112,236 times
The HOT lanes will be reversible lanes going North bound in the AM. No help to you.

Why did you pick Lorton? It is expensive for what it is, too far to be city, to crowded to be country. If you have someone else who needs a job in DC pick F'burg and let them take the train to work.

Last edited by Lemming95; 08-07-2013 at 09:46 AM..

Old 08-07-2013, 09:51 AM

10 posts, read 9,160 times
Lorton for the good schools, diversity and greater proximity to DC

Old 08-07-2013, 09:55 AM

1,449 posts, read 3,160,209 times
I have a friend who lives in Lorton and her husband commutes to the city on 95. Granted, he leaves pretty early, but it is doable. One could also take the VRE from Lorton.

My husband commutes down to Stafford County, not far from F'burg. He refuses to entertain the thought of moving there - he hates the surrounding area. So, if we ever move from where we are currently, it will probably be to Springfield or Lorton area. If my husband can make if from Chantilly to just north of F'burg in about an hour daily, 35-40 minutes from Lorton sounds completely reasonable. Now, granted, there are days it takes him 2 hours, but generally, going southbound in the morning is a piece of cake.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:02 AM

3,557 posts, read 4,078,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilsmom View Post
I have a friend who lives in Lorton and her husband commutes to the city on 95. Granted, he leaves pretty early, but it is doable. One could also take the VRE from Lorton.

My husband commutes down to Stafford County, not far from F'burg. He refuses to entertain the thought of moving there - he hates the surrounding area. So, if we ever move from where we are currently, it will probably be to Springfield or Lorton area. If my husband can make if from Chantilly to just north of F'burg in about an hour daily, 35-40 minutes from Lorton sounds completely reasonable. Now, granted, there are days it takes him 2 hours, but generally, going southbound in the morning is a piece of cake.
VRE is a commuter line, thus it travels north in the morning and south in the afternoon, no help to someone commuting from inner to outer suburbs, just like the HOV lanes.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:36 AM

1,449 posts, read 3,160,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grsz11 View Post
VRE is a commuter line, thus it travels north in the morning and south in the afternoon, no help to someone commuting from inner to outer suburbs, just like the HOV lanes.
right, I should have added the caveat that my comment was aimed only at the commuter going downtown from lorton.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:38 AM

Although if they have to travel back to the south to start going north again, I don't know why they couldn't just pick people up anyways.

Old 08-07-2013, 01:41 PM

2,380 posts, read 4,496,775 times
Lorton-Fredericksburg shouldn't be too bad except maybe on Fridays in the summer.

Old 08-07-2013, 02:08 PM

687 posts, read 1,370,646 times
If you are living in Lorton and working in Fredericksburg then at least you are going the opposite direction of the work traffic. I think it is doable in under an hour. I agree that Friday afternoon would be bad because of all the interstate traffic. Interstate 95 between the 495 Beltway and Route 3 in Fredericksburg is a nightmare on the weekends.

Old 08-07-2013, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundman View Post
If you are living in Lorton and working in Fredericksburg then at least you are going the opposite direction of the work traffic. I think it is doable in under an hour. I agree that Friday afternoon would be bad because of all the interstate traffic. Interstate 95 between the 495 Beltway and Route 3 in Fredericksburg is a nightmare on the weekends.
Is this true even headed northbound on Friday afternoons? The OP may also have to contend with construction related delays for the next couple of years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia