U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 01:06 PM

54 posts, read 146,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaintejean View Post
There are some really nice and relatively affordable neighborhoods in Sterling that are quite bucolic. What's your budget?

We don't know our budget yet... We know we would need a COL adjustment and it would depend on what we negotiated.

We have a larger than average family (ten children) and would ideally want to be on 2+ acres so we're looking at a commute. DD and (eventually) DS would be attending Patrick Henry in Purceville so that is why we're looking at Purceville area.

We're guessing the budget for rent would be $2500-$2600ish, but possibly up to $3K. We're expecting at least a $12-$15K COL adjustment (or we wouldn't / couldn't take the job) so we'd add that to our current housing and arrive at $2500/month.

Would *adore* staying @ $2400 or less but I don't know if that's doable? Especially looking forward to one in college in a year and another in four years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 02:04 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,192,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
I'm guessing you haven't been to Purcellville in a while. There are plenty of stores and restaurants; good ones, too.
If there is so much to do in Purcellville, why do I see Loudoun Valley and Woodgrove stickers on cars at almost every place I go in Leesburg?

Old 08-09-2013, 02:37 PM

3,411 posts, read 3,198,542 times
We lived in Purcellville for 18 months and in that time DH worked in Sterling. He left early like around 6:30/6:45 and it took him about 25 minutes. The afternoons were the killer. He left at 5 and it was an easy hour commute. My office was located in Reston and I would go Route 7 (which is most likely the way your DH will commute)and it started getting backed up around 4-4:30 most days.

When we lived in P-ville we rented a 4 bedroom house for $2200 a month. We continued to look around when we thought we would be staying up there and the rents for the bigger homes were around $2400 and up. I think if you go in with the budget of $2400-$3000 you should do ok though it might be more because of the acreage you are looking for.

Purcellville has had quite a few shops open up in the year that we have been gone. It's a nice town. I enjoyed living there.

ETA: We lived in the Sterling area for 10 year before moving away in 06. When we came back in 10 we looked in Sterling. We had about a budget of 2K to 2200 budget. Everything we saw was a TH or was a very small SFH. The larger places were around 2500 on up.

Last edited by Riley09swb; 08-09-2013 at 02:45 PM..

Old 08-09-2013, 03:23 PM

1,282 posts, read 1,728,210 times
I was actually surprised to see this on 4 acres in Leesburg

MLS# LO8141879

Old 08-09-2013, 09:15 PM

7,928 posts, read 9,642,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyBrGr View Post
If there is so much to do in Purcellville, why do I see Loudoun Valley and Woodgrove stickers on cars at almost every place I go in Leesburg?
Really? That's your criteria? That's like saying there aren't any restaurants or shopping in Northern VA, because I always see Virginia license plates everywhere I go in DC.

Are you familiar with the boundary lines of the two high schools you listed? They cover almost 50% of the total area of Loudoun County. While both schools might be physically located in Purcellville, they are educating children from Purcellville, Lovettesville, Upperville, Middleburg, and everywhere in between.

Heaven forbid these people ever go into Leesburg to shop or eat.

Old 08-11-2013, 04:56 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,192,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Really? That's your criteria? That's like saying there aren't any restaurants or shopping in Northern VA, because I always see Virginia license plates everywhere I go in DC.

Are you familiar with the boundary lines of the two high schools you listed? They cover almost 50% of the total area of Loudoun County. While both schools might be physically located in Purcellville, they are educating children from Purcellville, Lovettesville, Upperville, Middleburg, and everywhere in between.

Heaven forbid these people ever go into Leesburg to shop or eat.
Well I haven't been to Purcellville in months. There is no reason to drive out there, because there are few good restaurants, whereas Leesburg and Ashburn have endless options. The DC-Virginia scenario is a stretch as well, people go to DC for tourism, people don't go to Leeburg for tourism. I think it is only a matter of time before Purcellville becomes a place to go, like Leeburg and Ashburn. Most people I know refer to Purcellville as "the other Loudoun" because a lot of people see Purcellville as a place with redneck farm people, although it is far from the truth, it is the stereotype of Purcellville.

Old 08-11-2013, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyBrGr View Post
There is no reason to drive out there, because there are few good restaurants, whereas Leesburg and Ashburn have endless options.
Out of curiosity, what are the "endless" options of good restaurants in Ashburn? Lots of chains......

Old 08-12-2013, 11:42 AM

53 posts, read 55,997 times
People, with their budget and 10 children, I don't think OP is going to be doing a lot of dining out.

What is Patrick Henry, the local community college?

Yes, you are not going to get housing for 12 people on 2 acres in Sterling. I revise my previous suggestion.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:43 AM

Quote:
People, with their budget and 10 children, I don't think OP is going to be doing a lot of dining out.
good point.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:50 AM

8,555 posts, read 12,620,837 times
Quote:
What is Patrick Henry, the local community college?
Patrick Henry is a small, evangelical Christian college started by Michael Farris who also started the Home School Legal Defense Association. The college is often a college of choice for Christian homeschoolers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia