U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-09-2013, 08:31 PM
 
1 posts, read 2,437 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

I have been renting apt in Arlington for 5 yrs, and now ready to buy a townhouse and looking at areas which is more reasonably priced than Arlington. Budget around 300-350K. Can you suggest some areas in Northern Virginia ? I work in D.C. so I don't want to spend too much time commuting. Ideally within 45 mins drive. Also good school, neighborhood.

Also, how to shop around for good interest rate. Any advise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-09-2013, 08:43 PM
 
Location: northern va
1,590 posts, read 2,134,731 times
Reputation: 1379
45 minutes, at that price range, would put you in Springfield/Lorton

increase in commute time would bring you into Woodbridge and get you a newer/larger townhome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2013, 10:40 PM
 
Location: Northwestern VA
982 posts, read 3,105,435 times
Reputation: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakey View Post
I have been renting apt in Arlington for 5 yrs, and now ready to buy a townhouse and looking at areas which is more reasonably priced than Arlington. Budget around 300-350K. Can you suggest some areas in Northern Virginia ? I work in D.C. so I don't want to spend too much time commuting. Ideally within 45 mins drive. Also good school, neighborhood.

Also, how to shop around for good interest rate. Any advise?
You can buy new construction in DC in that price range. That would definitely help with your commute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2013, 07:59 AM
 
7,958 posts, read 9,695,980 times
Reputation: 13999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tish Thompson View Post
You can buy new construction in DC in that price range. That would definitely help with your commute.
Where can you get a new construction townhome in DC for under 350K?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2013, 10:26 AM
 
3,557 posts, read 3,457,034 times
Reputation: 1632
Ryan Homes is building brand new townhomes in Lake Ridge in that price range. From what I've seen from the outside they look pretty nice: stone, decks, some even have a garage, though that might be the higher price point.


http://www.ryanhomes.com/find-your-h.../vantage-point

Last edited by Grsz11; 08-10-2013 at 10:28 AM.. Reason: Add URL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2013, 02:31 PM
 
111 posts, read 264,114 times
Reputation: 42
Go for Burke/West Springfield.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2013, 09:39 PM
 
186 posts, read 314,620 times
Reputation: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Where can you get a new construction townhome in DC for under 350K?
That's what I wanna know! Sign me up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2013, 01:24 PM
 
Location: Tysons Corner
2,772 posts, read 3,651,110 times
Reputation: 1495
DC purchase price per sqft often are less than Arlington and Fairfax because of the higher crime rate and lesser school selections

The price for a 2br in Arlington often gets you a full row home in DC. If you expand out towards petworth, bloomingdale, up in Cleveland Park, or Fort Totten you can find some good units in the 300 to 400k range. (maybe not townhomes, but 1200sf condos or duplexes)

Near bloomingdale
2436 2nd St NE, Washington, DC 20002 - Zillow

1346 Downing St NE, Washington, DC 20018 - Zillow

That being said, theres a reason they are more expensive. Poor transit access (though if you are ok with buses its fine); non-gentrified neighborhoods (less retail, grocer options), terrible public schools, and the occasional crime. And they wont be new built.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2013, 04:20 PM
 
7,958 posts, read 9,695,980 times
Reputation: 13999
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post
DC purchase price per sqft often are less than Arlington and Fairfax because of the higher crime rate and lesser school selections

The price for a 2br in Arlington often gets you a full row home in DC. If you expand out towards petworth, bloomingdale, up in Cleveland Park, or Fort Totten you can find some good units in the 300 to 400k range. (maybe not townhomes, but 1200sf condos or duplexes)

Near bloomingdale
2436 2nd St NE, Washington, DC 20002 - Zillow

1346 Downing St NE, Washington, DC 20018 - Zillow

That being said, theres a reason they are more expensive. Poor transit access (though if you are ok with buses its fine); non-gentrified neighborhoods (less retail, grocer options), terrible public schools, and the occasional crime. And they wont be new built.
Yes, I think we are all aware that you can obtain housing in DC that is less expensive that many places in Virginia due to higher crime rates and bad schools. The OP was specifically looking for a good neighborhood and good schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2013, 04:22 PM
 
Location: Tysons Corner
2,772 posts, read 3,651,110 times
Reputation: 1495
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Yes, I think we are all aware that you can obtain housing in DC that is less expensive that many places in Virginia due to higher crime rates and bad schools. The OP was specifically looking for a good neighborhood and good schools.
Sorry it was meant as a @ reply to the incredulous responder in the thread, not the OP; should have made that more evident. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top