Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 03:48 PM

16 posts, read 79,576 times

Advertisements

The sales person were very nice and accomodating in the begining,they promised us that they never come back after the promisory note and that they can always give us an extension ,if the current house is not sold.
Now their tones have changed,since we alreay signed the contract.
.Also we had signed the contract 16 months back,when the market was good.We had no idea that we won't be able to sell the current house/.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knopfler View Post
Good advice, but after the fact so what's done is done... the more important question is, you DO have an attorney representing you NOW, yes?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamitrail View Post
Why oh why did you go under contract and give them $50,000 without selling your house first? You really need to get a lawyer. Unless there is something in your contract that releases you from your commitiment, maybe you can work out a payment schedule that you can afford. If you agreed to their terms, you owe them the money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 04:39 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,981,722 times
Unfortunately, if the salesperson didn't put her statement in writing, there is nothing you can do to hold him/her to it. So are you saying they won't give you any extension at all?

Can you afford to take on a second mortgage? Would you be approved for one? Can you rent your current home? Really, you need a lawyer to work with to see what can be done. Get a lawyer ASAP!

Old 05-31-2008, 08:19 AM

5 posts, read 14,428 times
Default Yes

No, but go back through the contract with a fine tooth comb and all the papers you signed. I would bet there is a clause that states that if you can't obtain other financing, you must put it through them or forfeit your deposit and pay add'l funds equally to the agreed EMD amount. If I were you, I would learn that contract inside and out, and research laws governing it, looking for specific reference to financial hardship and not qualifying. Like was stated before, they cannot force you if something happened (no fault of your own) that precludes you from qualifying for the mortgage that you can afford. Yes, their mortgage people may be able to qualify you, however, they still have to put it through the AUS and the banks they use are the same as everyone else. If there are any red flags, they are not going to be able to "push it through" the way they may have in the past. The days of stated income and no docs loans (which was one way the builders really got you hooked) are over. If it were me, I would fight and fight until I got that deposit back. By fight, I don't mean yell and scream and cry - I just mean, intelligently research, writing letters and cc the corporate sales and vp's and keep at it. Be strong, but not threatening. Too many times, people give up without trying. If you keep at it, and don't get it, what have you lost and you know you put all of your effort forth. IF you didn't try, you just gave up and gave them your hard earned money.

What is that money to them? Nothing. They are ruthless, but be tenacious. Don't give up just yet.

Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalyzeThis View Post
So because they have their own mortgage company, does that mean that every buyer has to use THEIR mortgage company? I think not. Where in the OP's post did you see a mention of them using Toll Brothers mortgage company?

Nice that you call my suggestions baloney, howver, you have none to offer; particularly since the poster came in here asking about suggestions for getting out of the contract, not bargaining tactics to reduce the sales price. What way to constructively address the topic at hand.

Old 06-12-2008, 05:20 PM

13 posts, read 121,396 times
Default yes

May be Toll tipped his daugther or neice before his statement to press " Housing in depression, it will take two years to recover" I read somewhere he was let free with the note, I think in [domain blocked due to spam] or tolltruth.blogspot.com

I agree with KellyAnn it won't hurt sending them emails repeatedly after all its our hard earned money.

Is there any insurance for construction loans that these builders take?
If there is one may be builder can claim insurance money if buyer backed out for any hardship situation and they could sell the house for less than what it was originally contract was written.

Old 06-12-2008, 05:52 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,981,722 times
The seller doesn't need the insurance...his insurance is the buyer who signed the contract, gave a HUGE deposit and promised to pay more if they couldn't close.

Fighting Toll Brothers is a losing battle that no one wins and they know it. I have seen it before with something completely different. And they won.

Old 06-26-2008, 10:16 PM

13 posts, read 121,396 times
Default Any updates

Patty47.. What is your current status. Are they still coming for the note? Did you get rejected by Toll Brothers Lender TBI for the loan?
Quote:
Originally Posted by patti47 View Post
has anyone gone through the backout process with Toll?If so did you lose all of the ydeposit>'

Waiting for reply.

Thanks.

Old 06-29-2008, 12:22 AM

578 posts, read 2,097,849 times
Toll Brothers....another greedy developer who has no respect for people or scenery.

Old 08-28-2008, 02:14 PM

1 posts, read 3,934 times
Default Becky, you're fairly transparent here. Own up and be constructive or step out of the discussion.

You did what it took to be at the top of sales for Toll. You placed your foot in the necks of your coworkers, and let the gravy of your good intentions flow for the purchasers who trusted you and your relationship with TBI.

There's not much you can do at this point for being overly-zealous in the past; but in the future, please act with more integrity. Cut the smile and operate honestly. By the way, in the future, don't forget to follow through completely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebecca3359 View Post
Toll Brothers nor any other Builder are door to door salesmen. The people who purchase new homes came to these Builders' and their Models. They sign a contract, and may I again point out, it is a CONTRACT. These are adults who make an informed decision knowing the risks, period. They sit through a 3-6 hour contract appointment. They get an idea of when their home will deliver. They pick their options, go to the Design Centers. Visit their home under construction. No one twisted their arms to purchase. Every one got greedy. There is no one individual company or person that the change in the market can be blamed on. The Builders and those selling their own homes took advantage of the inflated market. Lenders took the chance to create new loan programs to accomodate the wants. People purchasing chose to bid up homes or purchase a home they couldn't really afford and some Realtors helped them do it. No one had a crystal ball to predict the change in the market. No Builder makes their profit on deposits. Believe me, no Builder makes their money on keeping deposits. Don't they have the right to recover some of the out of pocket costs that were used to start the construction of a home? Toll Brothers, Centex, Lennar, etc are builders that are traded on the NYSE. They have stock holders and investors they are accountable to. At what point do people stop pointing fingers and start doing something about fixing the problem. How about blaming the media on creating the fear and basically predicting this change??? If you are grown up enough to enter into a contract, then be grown up enough to accept the consequences if something changes or happens.

Old 08-28-2008, 05:01 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,180,958 times
I thought Toll Brothers just made chocolate chips and other baking goods. I didn't know they had expanded into the actual housing market as well. Interesting

Old 08-28-2008, 06:27 PM

264 posts, read 854,589 times
There is little love for Toll Brothers and the way they do business. They're like the mafia of construction..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia