Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 06:39 AM

367 posts, read 882,900 times

Advertisements

Not that I am much of a matchmaker but there is also a single female afriad to take a job in dulles for the dating scene, perhaps????????
Check out her post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 06:44 AM

2,737 posts, read 5,442,027 times
The Mosaic development in Merrifield might work for you, depending on where the job is.

Old 08-20-2013, 09:52 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,162,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Is this something new....we now have a the "burbs" and "inside The Beltway"?

I always thought the burbs, in our case, was anything outside the city limits of the District of Columbia. Way outside the city used to be called the "exurbs".

Are the same hipsters that came up with the "DMV" crap responsible for this? LOL

This is a Northern Virginia forum. DC is NOT the center of our universe. The 'burb' is anything west of Fairfax City or south of Alexandria.

Old 08-20-2013, 09:55 AM

540 posts, read 788,285 times
Quote:

I always thought the burbs, in our case, was anything outside the city limits of the District of Columbia. Way outside the city used to be called the "exurbs".

Are the same hipsters that came up with the "DMV" crap responsible for this? LOL
I don't think there is necessarily anything wrong with classifying the close-in suburbs differently. Arlington/Alexandria certainly have different feel than Vienna/Reston. So, you have City (DC) - inner suburbs or "inside the beltway" (Arl, Alex) - suburbs (Reston, Herndon) - exurbs (Leesburg, Warrenton).

Old 08-20-2013, 10:07 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,162,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallout Zone View Post
I don't think there is necessarily anything wrong with classifying the close-in suburbs differently. Arlington/Alexandria certainly have different feel than Vienna/Reston. So, you have City (DC) - inner suburbs or "inside the beltway" (Arl, Alex) - suburbs (Reston, Herndon) - exurbs (Leesburg, Warrenton).
Arlington, Alexandria, Reston, Herndon, Leesburg, Warrenton are ALL cities.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:24 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,015,993 times
Quote:

LOL, yah I know what you mean. But when you're trying to explain things to someone who doesn't know the area you need to come up with something to separate one huge suburban area.

According to the Bureau of Labor and Statistics, all of northern Virginia is considered "suburb." They have us listed as suburban all the way from Alexandria to Leesburg. The exurbs don't start until you get west of Leesburg. http://www.bls.gov/opub/mlr/2006/12/art1full.pdf

Denny--if you get a job near Dulles, then yes, you're going to want to live in that area too. It may be a relatively boring part of Nova but you will be so much happier living near your job. Commuting can get very tiresome. I'm absolutely serious when I recommend that you look for the job first, then live for a year near that job, and by then you will know what neighborhoods appeal to you and if the job is going to work out. That's the time to pick your neighborhood. At the same time, if you prefer to pick a neighborhood first and then look for a job there, I'd focus on Tysons Corner, Falls Church, and Mosaic District (Merrifield).

Old 08-20-2013, 10:42 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,504,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
*cough* Of those, only Alexandria is a city under Virginia law, with its own schools, tax rates, etc. Reston isn't even a town; Arlington is a county which gets treated like a city for the most part. The others are towns, though.

/sorry for being pedantic.

Old 08-20-2013, 11:02 AM

540 posts, read 788,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
I'm not sure what your point is. Are you telling me that Herndon is somehow distinguishable from Reston/Chantilly/Sterling? These "cities" are now all just part of a conglomeration known as northern Virginia. I barely know when I'm leaving Arlington to enter Falls Church or even what city Merrifield is supposed to be in. Where is the Vienna/McLean division in Tyson's? This is nothing to disparage any of these areas, they are all quite nice, but this is a major metropolitan area with sprawl, and we in northern VA are all connected to DC whether we like it or not.

Old 08-20-2013, 11:42 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,616,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post
I'd want to know your tolerance for "hustle and bustle."

Is, say, the area of THs outside of Vienna Metro and Reston Town Center too much "hustle and bustle"? Is downtown Frederick/Leesburg too much of that? Old Town Alexandria?

What are you looking for budgetwise? I'm guessing you'd like a 2BR townhouse at the least.
Ideally, I'd like to find a 2-3 bedroom townhouse. In terms of hustle and bustle, I prefer a quiet area, but not one where it's dead quiet. Budget wise, I would never go over 600K. Even 500K is stretching it. Townhouse quality matters too. I don't want something old that requires a lot of rehab. Reston Town Center is kind of what I had in mind. Lots of shops and restaurants nearby within walking distance. My only gripe with it is how far from DC it is. If I could find something like RTC closer in, that would be great. But then it would be even more expensive. I do know that I would never want to live farther west than Reston. Are there parts of Alexandria equivalent to RTC?

Old 08-20-2013, 01:34 PM

2,380 posts, read 4,504,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Ideally, I'd like to find a 2-3 bedroom townhouse. In terms of hustle and bustle, I prefer a quiet area, but not one where it's dead quiet. Budget wise, I would never go over 600K. Even 500K is stretching it. Townhouse quality matters too. I don't want something old that requires a lot of rehab. Reston Town Center is kind of what I had in mind. Lots of shops and restaurants nearby within walking distance. My only gripe with it is how far from DC it is. If I could find something like RTC closer in, that would be great. But then it would be even more expensive. I do know that I would never want to live farther west than Reston. Are there parts of Alexandria equivalent to RTC?
There's 2-3BR THs in Old Town Fairfax for under 400k.

Old Town Alexandria -- you'd be really stretching it, living on a main road (Duke, Prince, etc.), or living in a shadier part of town. There's plenty of condos available though.

South Arlington -- you might get something near Columbia Pike east of Glebe in your budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia