Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 01:40 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,669,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grsz11 View Post
Can you go in early? Mine is up in September so can I go this week or next?
Yes, you can go in early. BUT you lose a month....you'll get an "8" sticker rather than a "9".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 03:35 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
I was able to my done on the last day of May when it expired. It was some trouble, had to drop it off in the morning and take a bus to get my car during lunch but it got done. One thing I liked about Kentucky is that safety inspections aren't even required. The only inspection I ever got there was the inspection of my odometer when I registered my car.

Old 08-21-2013, 01:55 PM

504 posts, read 1,212,212 times
Thank you for reminding me (mine is expiring in 10 days). I wish the cops were equally diligent about other things on the road while flagging down motorists with expired sticker.

Old 08-22-2013, 03:29 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,233,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lqda4 View Post
Thank you for reminding me (mine is expiring in 10 days). I wish the cops were equally diligent about other things on the road while flagging down motorists with expired sticker.
General District courts in all jurisdictions is always open to the public. You should probably go sit in one and see all the offenses officers cite people for. Go to one of the larger court systems for a true feeling of what officers do.

Old 08-22-2013, 03:34 AM

2,765 posts, read 8,325,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Some may have been around long enough to remember when we had to have our cars inspected every 6 months in VA. What a pain.
I find more people with worn out tires in our parking lot than failed inspections. There must be shops giving away the just the stickers and not checking anything.

Old 08-22-2013, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRE332 View Post
I find more people with worn out tires in our parking lot than failed inspections. There must be shops giving away the just the stickers and not checking anything.

No doubt a few but not many. These stations are checked often by Va State PD. Screw up once and they'll send cars through as a set up to see what favors they'll extend the drivers.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:38 AM

504 posts, read 1,212,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
General District courts in all jurisdictions is always open to the public. You should probably go sit in one and see all the offenses officers cite people for. Go to one of the larger court systems for a true feeling of what officers do.
I am sure they are busy but their actions and enforcement policies are misguided. I am talking strictly in terms of traffic enforcement here and not about fighting crimes and such. If you have the time to camp out there to ticket expired tags, why can't you also flag down bad behaviors on the road. I am talking about minor simple things like failure to use turn signal, changing lane over solid lines, driving with no light in the rain (wiper law), tossing cigarette butts over the window, etc. Debating traffic issues here in our area is always a hot topic and we are all fed up with bad drivings and bad manners. The LE lose credibility when they focus only on a few things for easy revenues, instead of conducting as a true law enforcement entity.

There is a big intersection near my house. Cops usually hang out there once every few weeks to ticket people riding on the side of the road, cutting a corner to get into the right-turning lane (when traffic backs up). Fair enough and they deserve it. But the sad thing is while they are so keen on ticketing people violating that little white line, they don't do anything to those at the same intersection that stop over the line (some as much as a car length or more, sometimes way into the pedestrian crosswalk).

Old 08-22-2013, 08:54 AM

Quote:
I am sure they are busy but their actions and enforcement policies are misguided. I am talking strictly in terms of traffic enforcement here and not about fighting crimes and such. If you have the time to camp out there to ticket expired tags, why can't you also flag down bad behaviors on the road. I am talking about minor simple things like failure to use turn signal, changing lane over solid lines, driving with no light in the rain (wiper law), tossing cigarette butts over the window, etc. Debating traffic issues here in our area is always a hot topic and we are all fed up with bad drivings and bad manners. The LE lose credibility when they focus only on a few things for easy revenues, instead of conducting as a true law enforcement entity.

There is a big intersection near my house. Cops usually hang out there once every few weeks to ticket people riding on the side of the road, cutting a corner to get into the right-turning lane (when traffic backs up). Fair enough and they deserve it. But the sad thing is while they are so keen on ticketing people violating that little white line, they don't do anything to those at the same intersection that stop over the line (some as much as a car length or more, sometimes way into the pedestrian crosswalk).
I could easily debate this with real facts but I have a feeling you won't believe them anyway.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:17 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,311,022 times
Quote:
I have to say, when we lived in PW County, we had a very positive view of the County police in this regard. Actually I had a favorable opinion of them overall and still give them that credit, especially compared to where we currently live.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
I have to say, when we lived in PW County, we had a very positive view of the County police in this regard. Actually I had a favorable opinion of them overall and still give them that credit, especially compared to where we currently live.
If I may ask where do you live now?

I was proud of the surveys that were every so many years by the county. Not sure if you ever participated or not but a state university was employed to handle the huge survey. The number was always pretty darn high from the citizens who positively endorsed the PWCPD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia