U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 07:47 AM

90 posts, read 343,700 times

Advertisements

I am looking to switch from our "almost as slow as dialup" Earthlink DSL and wondered whether DishNet or Verizon Fios would be better. We currently have DishNetwork for TV, but the internet is more important so if Verizon is the better internet choice we could switch for TV. Experience with quality, customer service, and price would be greatly appreciated.
Also, do you know if internet addresses are now portable to other providers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 08:01 AM

244 posts, read 483,332 times
Another choice is Cox Communications.

I don't know what you mean by a portable internet address. Your IP address will definitely change, but no one cares what your IP address is anyway. Your email will also change if you've been using one provided by your ISP. Stop doing that. Switch over to Gmail.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:38 AM

200 posts, read 505,817 times
I have high-speed Cox and sometimes the speed is quite poor. I wonder how happy are people with Verizon Fios?

Old 08-22-2013, 09:26 AM

I have friends who have had Cox and experienced the same problem, as well as outages, which is why I'm not considering it. Most of them have gone with Verizon and are pleased. Since I already have DishNetwork for TV, I was curious as to how their internet service compares to Verizon Fios. Thank you for the replies to this thread so far.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:42 AM

20 posts, read 39,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhurst View Post
I have friends who have had Cox and experienced the same problem, as well as outages, which is why I'm not considering it. Most of them have gone with Verizon and are pleased. Since I already have DishNetwork for TV, I was curious as to how their internet service compares to Verizon Fios. Thank you for the replies to this thread so far.
Are you a heavy Internet user? DISH (and most satellite ISP) applies data caps on their service. If you go to their site and enter your zip code, you'll see cap on the tiers they provide. For 22031, the lowest tier at $39.99/month is 5GB anytime data/5GB bonus data and only up to 5mbps download speed. FiOS on the other hand has no caps and their lowest tier is much faster. FiOS has been reliable. I haven't had any downtime with Verizon. Also, I assume that when your DISH TV is down due to cloudy weather or inclement weather, your Internet would also be down? Not sure.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:54 AM

Thank you for that info to consider. I'll definitely compare the based on heavy usage...3 kids who rely on it for homework with some of their textbooks being online and a husband who uses it for business. Do you know if the highest Dish option (15) is adequate for heavy use? If I go with Verizon, do you know how the TV portion compares to Dish? Thanks for your help!

Old 08-22-2013, 10:06 AM

1,256 posts, read 3,529,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhurst View Post
I'll definitely compare the based on heavy usage...3 kids who rely on it for homework with some of their textbooks being online and a husband who uses it for business.
Though I totally think your idea to base comparisons off of heavy usage is a good one, note that the usage you cite is very light, relatively speaking. Heavy usage would involve streamed video/audio or something like image transfer, in general (or hosting a TOR site or something...).

Old 08-22-2013, 10:11 AM

6,226 posts, read 6,839,926 times
I think Verizon's product is the best but be warned, once everything is up and running and if you run into a glitch, Verizon's customer service is horrible, I kid you not.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:03 AM

755 posts, read 1,519,725 times
I used to have Comcast and I had THE WORST internet service EVER from them. We would have to reset the router like 2-3 times A DAY.

We have FIOS now going on 3 years and I have had ZERO issues with their internet. For our purposes the speed is perfectly fine and we even stream movies on our computer. I know they offer a Quantum speed thing though that is supposed to be faster so that is an option.

Old 08-22-2013, 12:47 PM

968 posts, read 1,445,957 times
We have previously had Comcast and then Verizon DSL (when we had DishNetwork for tv). We now have Verizon FiOS and hope to never have to switch! The service has been consistent (we had WAY more random outages with Comcast), the speed is great (we stream things like Netflix daily), and they have various tiers of speeds to choose from if you need to upgrade/downgrade, depending on your needs. Actual customer service does suck, but it was awful with Comcast, too, so...six of one, half a dozen of the other. At least with Verizon, I almost never actually NEED their customer service because things work so much better.

I've never used DishNet, so can't comment on that specifically.

As for Verizon tv service, they offer multiple different packages. We currently have a "Triple Play" package of internet, phone, and tv that includes lots of HD channels, but no premium channels, and we pay a total of $116 per month (including taxes/fees, set top box rentals, two DVRs); this is the price we locked into for the first two years. It will go up after that two-year contract expires.

That said, we're actually going to drop everything but the internet service when our contract is up. We'll switch to a cheap VoIP home phone service (NetTalk, Obihai + GoogleVoice, something like that) and rely on just Netflix, Hulu, and streaming for tv/movies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia