Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 07:19 PM

18 posts, read 68,031 times

Advertisements

The good thing about the DC area is jobs are good. So just keep making the payments and you will avoid / minimize your loss. Staying in a house you don't like is a small problem compared w/ writing a 100K check.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2007, 01:21 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,933,217 times
"boy all you folks seem rather rich to me lol. know of any good jobs over your way? sales perhaps?"

LOL, I never thought of myself as rich before but we own a house in Loudoun County so I guess we're doing all right. It's funny, we don't exactly have high paying jobs. We aren't salesmen or doctors or prosperous business owners. I write murder mysteries and magazine articles. Hubby is an engineer. We're just people who live simply and save our money.

Old 11-17-2007, 05:14 PM

192 posts, read 263,689 times
Prices have already fallen more than 25% in this area. 510K two years ago, is now 360K.
Don't let the realtors tell you any differently.

Old 11-17-2007, 08:47 PM

15,141 posts, read 27,756,930 times
My personal opinion is that housing isn't going to go that low. Granted there won't be the large increases as there were in the past, it probably will be at the prices of last year or so, but it's not going to bottom out - there are plenty of jobs here and I can't believe that many (if any) will sell that low. I think the bottom line is: look at what you want, check out the areas, what can you afford, compare to renting (but think of the tax write-off).

Old 11-17-2007, 11:09 PM

555 posts, read 2,700,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
My personal opinion is that housing isn't going to go that low. Granted there won't be the large increases as there were in the past, it probably will be at the prices of last year or so, but it's not going to bottom out - there are plenty of jobs here and I can't believe that many (if any) will sell that low. I think the bottom line is: look at what you want, check out the areas, what can you afford, compare to renting (but think of the tax write-off).
My financial advisor showed me an interesting graph that showed houses still dropping for the next couple years because of the ARM type loans continuing to adjust. Remember, A LOT of people got the 3-5 year arms within the last three years. They will adjust within the next three years (like they did this year to a lot of people) and the foreclosures will continue to climb.

Old 11-18-2007, 12:11 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,668,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrovic View Post
My financial advisor showed me an interesting graph that showed houses still dropping for the next couple years because of the ARM type loans continuing to adjust. Remember, A LOT of people got the 3-5 year arms within the last three years. They will adjust within the next three years (like they did this year to a lot of people) and the foreclosures will continue to climb.

And then you have all the idiots that bought before the boom but then went wild buying Hummers and Caribbean vacations with those home equity dollars....and they're WAY upside-down now, and we'll be seeing them walking away from those loans too.

I think the bottom is a LONG way from here....

The scariest thing is that the Chinese and others are starting to prefer other currencies to the dollar....and when that happens, we will have finally maxed out the national credit card.

I hope you all know how to grow food!

Old 11-18-2007, 08:30 AM

192 posts, read 263,689 times
A home in North Arlington that fetched 698K in February 2006, was just sold by the bank for 450K. Lennar is now selling a "villa" at Heritage Hunt in Gainesville for 194K; more than 100K less than others paid for identical units. 25%? When all is said and done; there will be many opportunities to buy homes at 50 cents on the 2005 Dollar.

Old 11-18-2007, 08:13 PM

15,141 posts, read 27,756,930 times
So, do you all think it's worth investing in getting the deck rebuilt (It's "okay" now) - some warpage and mildew stains, etc. - also thought about getting the driveway topped (it's really in need) - is this throwing good money after bad? I thought we'd be in a good position, decent landscaping, a bit larger yard and no neighbors behind, roofing-appliances, carpet, a/c, etc. replaced w/i the last 5-6 yrs. I hate hearing about these down reports... we want to move for health reasons but won't "give" the house away and can hang

Old 11-18-2007, 08:21 PM

18 posts, read 68,031 times
I believe you would normally get cents on the dollar for any upgrade you make. Perhaps sellers feel they make a return on their upgrades in a rising price environment but are just getting compensated for a rising market.

Old 11-19-2007, 05:42 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,933,217 times
Getting the driveway topped next spring strikes me as a smart idea. I don't know if you would get back all the money you'd pay for the deck, but if it isn't a big expense there is something to be said for the appeal of seeing something fresh and new. The same goes for fresh pain and fresh flowers in the landscape. I'd avoid getting granite counter tops, however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia