Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 08:08 PM

6,560 posts, read 8,391,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadell View Post
I suppose. Ill just hold out for the place in Dale City. Wont hear back until tuesday though. I realize people are willing to pay 1k for a studio, rare as they are. Most places start at 1 bdr, but jeez its frustrating all the same.

Room mates are unreliable. Too unreliable. Even with friends, its lime going into business with someone. Your finances are linked.
I would caution you to scrutinize any apartment that is renting below market value. Be sure to do a walk through of the exact unit you would be renting. Sometimes complexes will do a bait and switch. If possible, visit the complex at different times throughout the day to get a feel for the neighbors (basically checking the noise level you should expect from them since that appears to be one of the biggest complaints in the CD Renting forum).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2013, 08:20 PM

1,167 posts, read 2,170,290 times
Well the neighborhood doesnt have a like, a pool or fitness center or any of that crap ill never use.

Old 08-31-2013, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadell View Post
Well the neighborhood doesnt have a like, a pool or fitness center or any of that crap ill never use.
I'm not talking about luxuries. I mean is the neighborhood well kept (do people take pride in their home even if they don't actually own it), is it sketchy, is there an abundance of criminal activity, is it relatively quiet neighborhood. Are your neighbors going to be partying and disturbing your peace and quiet on a regular basis?

There are areas of Woodbridge/Dale City that are sketchy and have a lot of crime, and I would not feel safe living in those areas. I don't know anything about those apartments though.

http://dalecity.patch.com/news/police-and-fire

Old 08-31-2013, 11:04 PM

I will definitely look into that. I dunno, maybe I'll just say **** it and move into a decent one bedroom. It's only whatever I pay in rent, is money that I'll have to borrow for student loans, since I'm not saving it.

Maybe I'll go to places that would deliver food to them, and find out what's the deal. If anyone knows, and will tell me, it'll be them.

Last edited by Megadell; 08-31-2013 at 11:14 PM..

Old 08-31-2013, 11:16 PM

Hmmm. I'm looking at apartment ratings. Everything is just....terrible. Just terribly horrible. Except for that one place I said was charging way, way too much for a studio apartment at 1k.

What do ya know, they have the highest and best reviews so far. Woodlee Terrace. I'm going to look into them, make sure they aren't a bunch of fake reviews.

Old 09-01-2013, 09:50 AM

Don't use student loans to pay your rent. In the long term, you would regret doing that. When you have to start paying off those loans, you will be glad you took only the minimum needed to fund your education.

Stay in your current living situation or move into a roommate situation. These are much better options than using funds from student loans to pay your rent.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:52 AM

1,449 posts, read 3,171,342 times
Your choices are limited here. When I was making that much, I lived in apartments with roommates. You can spend half your income (or more) on rent or hook up with roommates to reduce your costs. Or live in a basement with a hot plate. You choose.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:54 AM

No, I mean, right now I'm saving a decent amount of money, but totally at the expense of a social life. I can't keep living in my moms place forever.

If I move out, I can afford that, and I can also still afford to save some cash, but not nearly as much as if I were to stay at home. I'm not going to pay my rent with student loans but if I'm spending more money on living expenses, that's money that I can't put in savings, and spend on tuition, money that I'll have to borrow later. I'll pay my rent with my pay from work.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilsmom View Post
Your choices are limited here. When I was making that much, I lived in apartments with roommates. You can spend half your income (or more) on rent or hook up with roommates to reduce your costs. Or live in a basement with a hot plate. You choose.
I got tired of the awkwardness that's clearly visible when the big black bearded guy comes asking about renting a room. Most people typically will only rent to women anyway, at least based on what I see. And too many of them treat renting a room like you're in a boarding house. No guest, lights out after X, that whole deal.

Renting a room in someones house is already going to cost me 800-1000 bucks. With my own apartment, at least I wouldn't feel like I have to tip toe around the house. Like I'm intruding, because again, there is no sense of ownership. I'm not sharing a house, I'm living in someone else's house. If I'm going to pay someone more than I am now, for what is essentially are worse living conditions. My mom is my mom, there is no awkwardness, I've known her almost all my life. Strangers are different. Total random strangers who you share an apartment with is one thing, total random strangers whose house you live in, I couldn't do that.

Last edited by Megadell; 09-01-2013 at 11:08 AM..

Old 09-01-2013, 11:25 AM

1,449 posts, read 3,171,342 times
It sounds like you need to stay at your mom's place for a while, then, and keep saving money. This area is expensive - are you sure you want to stay here? It sounds like you don't like it very much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia