U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 11:10 AM

8 posts, read 7,744 times

Advertisements

Wife and I both got new jobs and are seriously looking at Alexandria. We have no kids, one Beagle, and have a budget of $400-500K with a garage (have Harley) in 1700+ sq. ft. range. We really want to live urban life (20+ in suburbia) and can walk to shops, restaurants, Metro, etc. and still have decent commute (<30 mins) to Bolling and Andrews.

Any suggestions and or know of a fantastic Realtor who KNOWS Alexandria?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2013, 01:07 PM

3,557 posts, read 3,449,475 times
There are some detached SFHs in that price range in Alexandria, but they aren't going to be walking distance to Metro or shopping. If you want to be in a better location you would probably be looking for condos or townhouses.

Old 09-01-2013, 04:03 PM

300 posts, read 496,559 times
I second the above reply. The closest you might be able to get on the VA side are apartments/condos in the Old Town Alexandria area (King Street Metro stop), or closer to the river, where there isn't a directly convenient stop.

There are some nice town homes in the Potomac Yard/Reagan airport area that MIGHT meet your price range. There are lots of shops, etc. within walking distance there, and you may be close enough to a Metro stop, depending on how far in you are. There are lots of city bus stops in the area, though.

As far as DC, you could look into places to live near the Anacostia stop; it's been a few years, but I wouldn't advise moving near there (Howard Rd., Firth Sterling, Suitoand Pkwy., etc.) unless that place has had a major turn around.

Indian Head is a good place to be if you want to be near Andrews; a lot has changes over the years, so look carefully.

You're lucky in that you have several directions in which to look that can still get you to Bolling in about 30 min. Potomac Yards is a bit of a stretch to get to Andrews in the same time, but it won't be too far off (<40 min.)

Old 09-01-2013, 04:17 PM

270 posts, read 802,001 times
You are right to be looking in Virginia, but that budget is not going to get you 1700 sq ft., a garage, and walking distance to Metro. I think you will have to decide between suburbia (bigger house and garage) or more urban (smaller and walking distance to good stuff). We live in the latter; our neighbor has two bikes, but he rents a place to store them.

If you choose suburbia, lots of military end up in Kingstowne.

Old 09-01-2013, 09:03 PM

2,380 posts, read 3,863,596 times
With no kids, why not something in Cheverly/Hyattsville or another safe part of Prince George's?

In your shoes, I'd consider a TH with a shed in the backyard, too ...

Or hell, why not Annapolis (that might end up being 45 minutes, but it's more urban than the places in Alexandria you'd be getting.)

Old 09-01-2013, 09:19 PM

3,557 posts, read 3,449,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post

Or hell, why not Annapolis (that might end up being 45 minutes, but it's more urban than the places in Alexandria you'd be getting.)
Annapolis to either Bolling or Andrews in 45 minutes?

Old 09-02-2013, 04:46 AM

All good idea folks, and yea I'm getting the feeling looking at real estate online the closer in less and less traditional house with garage. But I've seen townhouses with garage underneath and that'll work. Defi think the wife and i are ready for a new lifestyle, one of more activity and walking. Suburbia is really getting old with so much dependency on a car.

Old 09-02-2013, 04:55 AM

10,598 posts, read 12,100,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozowing View Post
All good idea folks, and yea I'm getting the feeling looking at real estate online the closer in less and less traditional house with garage. But I've seen townhouses with garage underneath and that'll work. Defi think the wife and i are ready for a new lifestyle, one of more activity and walking. Suburbia is really getting old with so much dependency on a car.

There are very few area around here, once you get out of the city or outside of Arlington, VA, they don't rely on a car. It's a shame but it's a fact of life here. It's just one big giant suburb. A few of the suburbs have built town center type places with apartments surrounding them, but if you want a house, you basically still have to drive the the "town center" area.

Old 09-02-2013, 10:32 AM

2,380 posts, read 3,863,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grsz11 View Post
Annapolis to either Bolling or Andrews in 45 minutes?
In no traffic, yes. 50 traffic isn't as terrible inbound as say 66 or Wilson Bridge into VA. It'd be over an hour during rush hour though, and I'm not aware of as many public transit options on the 50 corridor.

Old 10-09-2013, 04:49 PM

Default Home Found

Found a 2 car garage SFH 2300 Sq feet with pool in Mt Vernon for $555K. Didn't get my walking to everything or Metro, but buying a home will always require trades in your desires...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia