U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 05:31 PM

8 posts, read 20,857 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I have discussed having a prenup agreement made in the awful event things don't work out (of course we aren't planning on this, but we want to have our bases covered).

Does anyone know of a good, AFFORDABLE, lawyer in the Arlington, VA area for this service? We don't have several assets or anything complex (e.g., trusts, real estate, etc.)...it should be pretty straight forward.

And before I call around, is there a fair price I should expect? Do they charge by the hour, or is it a flat rate? If by the hour, how many hours should I expect for a simple prenup agreement?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2013, 06:12 PM

5,738 posts, read 8,938,746 times
Try Gerald Williams, in the small building across from the Courthouse, next to a pizza place. He does a lot of marriages, so he might do this as well.

Alternatively, I believe that if you both sign a statement in front of a witness and a notary, that would likely be just as binding.

Old 09-03-2013, 06:25 AM

1,637 posts, read 2,127,377 times
It doesnt matter how much it cost because you will save that money if you all happen to get a divorce. I would recommend that you not set a marriage date until it is signed and video tape the signing of the agreement just case she claims she didnt understand the agreement

Old 09-03-2013, 07:01 AM

5,078 posts, read 5,344,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrythesnake View Post
It doesnt matter how much it cost because you will save that money if you all happen to get a divorce. I would recommend that you not set a marriage date until it is signed and video tape the signing of the agreement just case she claims she didnt understand the agreement
And in case he claims he didn't understand...

Old 09-03-2013, 07:25 AM

367 posts, read 760,692 times
"We don't have several assets or anything complex (e.g., trusts, real estate, etc.)...it should be pretty straight forward."

Then why even bother, anything you acquire into the marriage should be treated equal, personally I think you are going about this the wrong way, TETO.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:48 AM

7,926 posts, read 9,636,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrythesnake View Post
I would recommend that you not set a marriage date until it is signed and video tape the signing of the agreement just case she claims she didnt understand the agreement
How does video taping something prove "understanding" of an agreement?

Also, I'd love to be in the room for that conversation.

"Honey, I love you, but I'm worried you may try take all of my money when we divorce. Do you mind signing a pre-nup? Also, do you mind if I video tape it? Why? Because you're kinda dumb and I want to make sure a judge in the future sees that you knew what you were doing."

Old 09-03-2013, 08:50 AM

968 posts, read 1,440,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
"Honey, I love you, but I'm worried you may try take all of my money when we divorce. Do you mind signing a pre-nup?..."
They've apparently already had this half of the conversation!

I have to agree with dmv101010 on this one...

Old 09-03-2013, 09:47 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,623,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
And in case he claims he didn't understand...
I think your version is correct; the OP refers to "my fiance", not "my fiancée". I can't imagine requiring a pre-nuptial unless one or both are going into the marriage with large amounts of money or property.

Old 09-03-2013, 10:54 AM

1,623 posts, read 4,322,995 times
Do a quick google search. You really need 2 lawyers, one for each person that they each choose on their own to represent their own interests. If you don't do that, prenups are often set aside in a divorce proceeding.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:25 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,817,732 times
You each will need your own lawyer paid for with your own separate funds. Your lawyer can draft up a prenup and then her lawyer can review it with her. You mentioned no major assets so unless you have a inheritance or some major amount of cash assets I don't really see a point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia