Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 09:33 AM

33 posts, read 47,665 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

My wife and I currently live in Aldie, VA. We have triplets that are 21 months old and a son that is 3.5 years old. My wife makes $70k and I make $120k. You would think $190k would be plenty to afford a nice single family house in many parts of Loudoun in the $600k to $750k range. However, daycare for 4 young kids is $4k a month! This pretty much wipes out my wife's salary so it's really doesn't make a difference in our financial picture if she works or stays home with the kids.

On my salary of $120k, I can support our family in our 2600 sq foot town house (3 bedroom/3.5 bath) that we purchased for $417k in 2007. The mortgage payments are only $2200 a month which is do-able. The problem is that $120k really isn't an adequate income to purchase a home that will likely up my mortgage payment to $4k a month without being house poor. Since we both work in Fairfax County (Chantilly and Herndon), I really don't want to move out further to find cheaper housing.

We aren't desperate for a new house as our town house is a decent size. However, when the kids get bigger, we will want more space. Seems like I am stuck until the kids are in school and our daycare costs go down?

Last edited by Flyers5150; 09-06-2013 at 09:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2013, 09:53 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,941,268 times
Seems like kids getting bigger will trigger a) less daycare costs and b) need for more space. Sounds like you wait a few years.

How much would it cost to hire a nanny full time to stay at your house with the kids? I don't know the going rate, but for four kids it might be cheaper?

Old 09-06-2013, 10:00 AM

Part of the problem is we have both a nanny for the triplets and put the older sibling in daycare. We could probably find a cheaper nanny and pull the older sibling out of daycare but were really not willing to go cheap on childcare as we have a really good setup right now. I think were stuck with these big daycare bills until all the kids are in school.

Old 09-06-2013, 10:01 AM

1,449 posts, read 3,170,151 times
Yeah, if you can hold out in the TH for a couple more years and figure out if you can reduce the childcare expense, things will be much easier.

A 2600 sf TH is a good size - that is bigger than my SFH in Fairfax/Chantilly (2200 sf). Although, I think the bigger problem is only 3 BR, right? Is there a way to create a BR anywhere else in the space, like a basement? Just curious.

Old 09-06-2013, 10:11 AM

989 posts, read 2,854,446 times
What about an au pair for all four kids? I think they are relatively inexpensive compared to the cost of daycare. Just a thought!

Old 09-06-2013, 10:25 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,314,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers5150 View Post
Hello all,
We aren't desperate for a new house as our town house is a decent size. However, when the kids get bigger, we will want more space. Seems like I am stuck until the kids are in school and our daycare costs go down?
This pretty much. You may get some creative answers but if you don't want to move further out your best option is really just to wait. 4k a month for daycare is brutal. I have 2 kids and the costs are definitely hindering my ability to upgrade from TH to house too. I kind of want a 3rd down the road but then I think about 5 more years of daycare costs. It's tough

Old 09-06-2013, 01:11 PM

162 posts, read 358,937 times
OP, I mean no offense, but I think you are looking at too much house for your income (unless you will have a very large DP or stay closer to $600k). Yes, your childcare costs will go down, but you will still have child related expenses - before/after school care, camps, increased grocery bills, vacations, college, increased clothing costs. You should be able to find a nice SFH, larger than your current TH, in Aldie for $600k or less. So yes, I think you can afford to stay in Aldie.

Old 09-06-2013, 07:07 PM

148 posts, read 296,564 times
It seems like it would be more cost-effective for your wife to stay home with the kids and save the 4K a month if it is essentially her entire salary. But, it may be best to talk to a qualified financial planner to hash out all the financials and come up with a plan for the future. If possible, it may be worth your wife having a part-time job in the meantime so there isn't a gap in her work experience and to save a bit more money for that house. That isn't necessarily a possibility in every job field, but it may be a good short-term solution.

Old 09-06-2013, 07:44 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
Just a reality check - do you realize that many of us were raised in MUCH smaller homes and we survived?

Old 09-06-2013, 07:54 PM

Thanks all for the advice. I agree with everything that was suggested. The current living arrangements work as the desire to move is much more of a "Want" than a "Need". Most of us that are age 40+ did grow up in homes that were 1500 sq feet so we will survive. We will likely revisit the idea of moving in maybe 2 or 3 years. It's not unrealistic that our income might also go up another 20k in that time as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia