Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2007, 11:24 AM

26 posts, read 91,416 times

Advertisements

There's so much talk on here regarding questions about possiblel commutes, I thought it would be neat to see what your commute is like. What is the worst commute you have ever had to do? Or better yet, do you know someone that commutes so far you think they're crazy!? Here are some that I came across from my friends:

Commute 1: NE DC to Winchester, VA

A buddy of mine just got a great job in Winchester, and he commutes from NE DC, across one of the Potomac River bridges, to Winchester!

MOTHER OF ALL COMMUTES:

Scranton, PA to Washington, DC: Three days a week.

My professor commuted three days a week, 4 hours one way to teach at my university.

So what commutes have you done or know people have done? This should be interesting.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2007, 11:32 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
"Commute 1: NE DC to Winchester, VA"

Oh that just seems wrong!

I can understand the need to commute from Winchester to DC--for some people that's the only way they can afford a house. But commuting from DC to Winchester????? I hope it's because he had already bought a house in the city when a job transfer came through, and the job was too good to resist.

I know two neighbors who commute to Arlington from our neighborhood, that's as bad as it gets as far as people I know.

I've heard there are people who commute from West Virginia and Pennsylvania but I've never met anyone who does that.

I can walk to work, myself... but that's a rare thing these days.

Old 11-15-2007, 04:20 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
I knew someone who commuted from Chambersburg, PA to Reston! You couldn't PAY me (and he was "getting up in years").

Old 11-15-2007, 04:37 PM

43 posts, read 242,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I knew someone who commuted from Chambersburg, PA to Reston! You couldn't PAY me (and he was "getting up in years").
from mapquest.com: Total Est. Time: 1 hour, 45 minutes Total Est. Distance: 97.55 miles

OUCH!

Old 11-17-2007, 09:43 AM

555 posts, read 2,701,012 times
I commute 73 miles one way from the culpeper area to downtown DC. I only have to do it half the month and work nights though, it helps a little.

Old 11-17-2007, 09:45 AM

555 posts, read 2,701,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clorenzo17 View Post
There's so much talk on here regarding questions about possiblel commutes, I thought it would be neat to see what your commute is like. What is the worst commute you have ever had to do? Or better yet, do you know someone that commutes so far you think they're crazy!? Here are some that I came across from my friends:

Commute 1: NE DC to Winchester, VA

A buddy of mine just got a great job in Winchester, and he commutes from NE DC, across one of the Potomac River bridges, to Winchester!

MOTHER OF ALL COMMUTES:

Scranton, PA to Washington, DC: Three days a week.

My professor commuted three days a week, 4 hours one way to teach at my university.

So what commutes have you done or know people have done? This should be interesting.....
That would be pretty bad. If you look at the big picture of what our military brothers and sisters go through though our problems don't seem so bad. A co-worker of mine was gone for 12 months to Iraq, back for 6 months, and gone again for 12 months right now. He is missing his young kids growing up, very sad.

Old 11-17-2007, 10:17 AM

18 posts, read 68,036 times
Columbia, MD to Reston.

Old 11-17-2007, 01:10 PM

192 posts, read 263,733 times
Bethesda MD to Frankfort Germany--home on the weekends. I, myself, commuted from Bullhead City, Arizona to Tucson, Arizona to make 86% more money as a teacher. Four months later, I sold my condo, and was able to buy a SFR in Southern Arizona. Gas was only a buck per gallon then. Wouldn't be able to do it now. Got real tired of staying at Motels. I remember answering a knock at my Motel door one night at about 3am. It was a black kid saying : "did someone page me?" I always loved getting back home and watching my 17 year old Sony Trinitron and taking a dip in the HOA hottub.

Old 11-17-2007, 05:51 PM

15 posts, read 38,076 times
I have a friend at work who drives to Dulles from Martinsburg WV (60mi one way). And my boss drives home to Rochester NY every weekend (400mi one way) and stays in an apartment during the week.

Old 11-17-2007, 06:10 PM

238 posts, read 1,144,176 times
The Washington Post had an article about killer commutes and found someone who commuted to/from Newark NJ to Washington DC every day. 240 miles each way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia