Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2013, 06:01 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,874,162 times

Advertisements

Im helping a friend move to the DC metro area. They have a job in Fairfax city, which I didnt even know existed as I thought it was only a county. Is this a good area? Is there a metro and is it expensive? The main issue is I am trying to get them somewhere that is nice and not too expensive. Is it cheaper than Arlington? If it is more than Arlington I dont see why they should move there. They could just commute to Fairfax and enjoy the advantages of Arlington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2013, 06:23 PM

3,555 posts, read 4,095,005 times
Metro access depends entirely on where exactly they work. You cant walk from Fairfax City from the nearby stations, but there may be bus connections. You will just have to look into that.

Old 09-08-2013, 06:51 PM

9,777 posts, read 15,786,780 times
Fairfax City would generally be less expensive than Arlington, as it is much outside the beltway, farther from DC. The closest Metro stop would be Vienna, the last stop on the orange line. Fairfax City is a good area, safety wise and school wise. There is a small downtown area and a college there (George Mason), so there are bars and restaurants and other things to do, but not as much as Arlington. Overall, everywhere in NoVA is expensive. What is your friend's budget?

Old 09-08-2013, 06:56 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,874,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Fairfax City would generally be less expensive than Arlington, as it is much outside the beltway, farther from DC. The closest Metro stop would be Vienna, the last stop on the orange line. Fairfax City is a good area, safety wise and school wise. There is a small downtown area and a college there (George Mason), so there are bars and restaurants and other things to do, but not as much as Arlington. Overall, everywhere in NoVA is expensive. What is your friend's budget?
I dont know I dont know their salary. I just want to make them a recommendation on where to look.

A good commute is the most important factor. They dont want to sit in traffic or drive far. They also dont want to live in a bad area, but I think that area is mostly very good. After that cost is the next important factor. They like to live in an area full of stuff to do and nightlife, but like I said they would prefer a good commute. Is Vienna a bad commute?

Old 09-08-2013, 07:11 PM

9,777 posts, read 15,786,780 times
Vienna would be an easy commute. And I think it is a great place to live. I don't know that I would call it "full of nightlife" but there are some decent restaurants on Church Street. And there is the Vienna Inn - a hometown bar, and Jammin' Java which is coffee house that has bands. There are many town events, that are mostly family oriented - July 4th fireworks, a Halloween parade, and a fair over Memorial Day weekend, to name a few.

They might want to look into the Merrifield area. It is up and coming with things to do.

Old 09-08-2013, 07:41 PM

1,726 posts, read 5,860,907 times
George Mason is not a college. It is a very large university.

Old 09-08-2013, 08:40 PM

2,380 posts, read 4,515,492 times
Fairfax City would be fine for your friend unless he/she requires a good deal of nightlife. In that case, then Reston might be a good idea or he/she would need to suck it up

Vienna is way more family-oriented and wouldn't be my first pick for a single person looking for a non-dead part of the suburbs.

It is safe, the schools are good, and you can take the CUE bus to Metro.

If I were to move back to Fairfax County without suddenly becoming richer, it would be my first choice (close ahead of Reston).

As I told another OP, find friends that live in Arlington/DC and crash there on weekends -- take the $$$ you save and spend it on meals for your friends that you stay at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia