U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 11:09 AM

6,555 posts, read 10,842,297 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for some place in the NOVA area, or very close, that you enjoyed visiting and others may as well. I've driven by this place many times but never stopped until today. This mill and even the store across the street are great places to stop. I believe the store is called Stokes or something like that. Some interesting foods and a huge wine collection.

The mill that is definitely a place worth visiting. There is a suggested donation but no one will sit there and make you donate. I walked in the open front door at 1130 this morning and was helping myself to the sights when a guy came in said they don't normally open until noon. The door was wide open. He didn't mind me being there and we talked for some time.

The Burwell-Morgan Mill
15 Tannery Lane
Millwood, VA. 22646
Web site: Clarke Country Historical Association

This little town of Millwood is back in some beautiful country. You can get to it off 50/17, 340 and a couple back ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2013, 12:22 PM

664 posts, read 1,619,322 times
There is an ice cream place that we LOVE that is out of the way (for us, at least). It is called Moo Thru and is in Remington
Moo Thru Real Ice Cream from Real Dairy Farmers in Virginia

The Ken's Key Lime ice cream is my absolute favorite.

Old 09-08-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereinVA View Post
There is an ice cream place that we LOVE that is out of the way (for us, at least). It is called Moo Thru and is in Remington

My wife and niece love that place. I need to stop one day.

Old 09-08-2013, 12:47 PM

3,883 posts, read 5,335,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
I'm looking for some place in the NOVA area, or very close, that you enjoyed visiting and others may as well. I've driven by this place many times but never stopped until today. This mill and even the store across the street are great places to stop. I believe the store is called Stokes or something like that. Some interesting foods and a huge wine collection.

The mill that is definitely a place worth visiting. There is a suggested donation but no one will sit there and make you donate. I walked in the open front door at 1130 this morning and was helping myself to the sights when a guy came in said they don't normally open until noon. The door was wide open. He didn't mind me being there and we talked for some time.

The Burwell-Morgan Mill
15 Tannery Lane
Millwood, VA. 22646

This little town of Millwood is back in some beautiful country. You can get to it off 50/17, 340 and a couple back ways.

The store name is Locke's Store.

Old 09-08-2013, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
The store name is Locke's Store.
How right you are.

Old 09-08-2013, 03:14 PM

74 posts, read 161,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereinVA View Post

Just got back on a trip down there. It is about a 30 min trek for us. We went to pick up some ice cream and some chocolate milk (it is great!). The ice cream is really good except I haven't had good luck with the fruit flavors which are typically my favorite. I tried peach last year when peaches should have been in full season. The ice cream didn't taste like it had ever seen a peach. The dark chocolate and mint chocolate chip are some of the best I have ever had.

Old 09-08-2013, 04:41 PM

4,687 posts, read 5,519,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post

The Burwell-Morgan Mill
15 Tannery Lane
Millwood, VA. 22646

My wife & I visited the mill this May, during their spring art show (they have one in the fall as well). The mill is really interesting, and the town of Millwood is really nice. It was well worth our time, especially given the art show. Here's what the mill looks like:

Attached Thumbnails
List an out of the way (sort of) place to visit-dsc_0014r3.jpg  

Old 09-08-2013, 04:51 PM

4,687 posts, read 5,519,319 times
And if you're in that area anyway (maybe visiting the mill?), you might want to check out the State Arboretum of Virginia ... "The main entrance is located on Route 50/17 and the address is 400 Blandy Farm Lane, Boyce, VA 22620."

The same day we visited the Burwell-Morgan Mill we visited the arboretum, and it was very nice walking around the beautiful grounds. Here's a picture:

Attached Thumbnails
List an out of the way (sort of) place to visit-dsc_0071r2.jpg  

Old 09-08-2013, 05:12 PM

7,926 posts, read 9,639,531 times
If anyone chooses to visit these wonderful places in Millwood, take the time to eat at the Ashby Inn (in Paris, VA). While pricey (yet, completely unpretentious), it might be one of the best meals you've ever eaten.

Old 09-08-2013, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
If anyone chooses to visit these wonderful places in Millwood, take the time to eat at the Ashby Inn (in Paris, VA). While pricey (yet, completely unpretentious), it might be one of the best meals you've ever eaten.

Pricey might not be the right word for eating there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia