Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 04:04 PM

4 posts, read 5,456 times

Advertisements

There is a extended stay hotel in Gainesville called Value place that is charging about $1300 a month. After reading some posts, I was thinking about staying there first month or so just to feel out the area and settle into work. I don't have any storage and own no furniture so it seems like a decent option to start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 09:15 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,262,599 times
Sounds like a good plan. Take some time driving 66. You'll be surprised at the almost 24/7 congestion

Old 09-10-2013, 02:31 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,680,547 times
I take it that Warrentown isn't on a Metro line and so you'll be driving? I lived in Northern Virginia for more than six years. To make a long story short, the entire area can be great fun, but the traffic is almost beyond belief. I can't tell you how many times I got in my car to go somewhere, only to be so pissed off at the traffic that I turned around and went home. I lived in Alexandria. Fortunately, that's not such a bad place, so I spent a lot of time hanging around my immediate neighborhood.

Old 09-10-2013, 02:45 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,551,890 times
OP, I live in Ashburn. We go to North Carolina a bit to see family/beach. We go to Warrenton to catch Highway 17 down to I95 to avoid as much of the traffic nightmare on I95 as possible. Honestly, on an early Saturday morning it takes at least 30 minutes just to get to Warrenton from Ashburn. From DC, it would probably be one of the worst commutes I have ever heard of around here. 29 gets jammed up too going both ways. Not trying to frighten you away, but I think you'll want to be much closer to Warrenton than to DC for this job. You could very easily be looking at a 2 hour commute each way if you go with the DC location. One fender-bender, broken down car, greater than 4% chance of snow/rain, and it could be 10x's worse.

Old 09-10-2013, 06:36 PM

2,635 posts, read 3,510,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srproductions View Post
There is a extended stay hotel in Gainesville called Value place that is charging about $1300 a month. After reading some posts, I was thinking about staying there first month or so just to feel out the area and settle into work. I don't have any storage and own no furniture so it seems like a decent option to start.
Good idea. You may want to checkout Fairfax City, Vienna, or Chantilly. Also any location near future Metro Silver Line stops. These will eventually become enclaves for singles (similar pattern to other metro stops)
http://www.dullesmetro.com/stations/index.html

Also, what's the possibility that your job will require regular trips into the city or transferring?

Old 09-10-2013, 08:24 PM

104 posts, read 170,926 times
I live in Bristow and love it - I am older and have 3 kids though so it is different than your life now. That said your job is in Warrenton and commuting from DC in every day will be long. Gainesville and Bristow area is growing fast and the new part of the Gateway Center with movies, more shops and bars is ready to open as well as what is already here. Your assessment of the places you are thinking about is pretty accurate for the most part. Have you thought of maybe somewhere around Fairfax or Centreville area since it is between DC and Warrenton?
If possible, could you do a short term rental of 3 months to start with then see how you feel about the areas and commute?

Old 09-11-2013, 10:28 AM

89 posts, read 178,917 times
I know some late 20's, early 30's who live in Fairfax Corner and enjoy it. Also, like pp said, the Promenade at Gateway is still under construction, but will have upscale shops, movie theater, and concept restaurants, that may be chains, but the ones there are going to be the first in the area, if not on the east coast. I live in Gainesville, but I have kids so I'm not going out very much. I think you will have to go out to Centreville/Fairfax for a more active nightlife, but the drive isn't so bad.

Old 09-11-2013, 11:33 AM

513 posts, read 961,183 times
No one has informed you of the gridlock out of Arlington into fairfax have they. Could take you hour and 45 minutes each way. Rain forgetabout it.

Move closer to Warrenton and then travel into DC/Arlington on the weekends/after hours.

Old 09-12-2013, 12:35 AM

4 posts, read 5,456 times
Thanks for all the responses. Alot of good info here.

Basically I am putting together that living in the city is not the best idea. Just a reminder that the times I will be hitting the road are going to be from 5-5:20am for my morning shifts and 1:20ish for my evening shifts. Will the traffic be a factor at those odd times? I may have some odd days off as well like Tues-Wed so 2 of my commuting days will be on the weekend.

Alot of details are to be determined. I won't know exact details until I arrive at the new job which is why I was thinking temp housing is the best way to start for the first few weeks at least.

Old 09-12-2013, 09:18 AM

9,776 posts, read 15,776,851 times
Traffic may not be *that* bad at those times, although 1:20ish hits lunch hour, so it won't be a piece of cake likely until you are pretty far west of at least Tysons, I'd suspect. Also, weekends have horrible traffic around here as well, especially on I-66. Even on good days, there is a lot of volume.

Having said all that, even without traffic, it is still a long ride from DC to Warrenton. Someone on CD once commented about a similar long commute, and I've always remembered what he said, and think it applies here. "DC to Warrenton isn't a commute, it's a day trip." I wouldn't want to do it everyday if I didn't have to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia