U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-10-2013, 06:39 AM
 
9 posts, read 14,824 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Hello,



My friend is accepting a job at Quantico and is looking at the Stafford/Fredericksburg area to rent. She is coming from SE VA and would prefer to be south of Quantico. She is a single female in her early 50s and would prefer a safe, quiet, and adult oriented (or family friendly area).



She has the following criteria:

Rent <$1800/month
Townhouse preferred (minimal yard maintenance)

Newer than say mid 1990s construction
<30mins commute to Quantico

Does anyone know of any preferred locations/subdivisions? Any places to avoid? She is pretty active and likes to workout/run so gym recommendations would be appreciated!


Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-10-2013, 11:43 AM
 
687 posts, read 1,127,267 times
Reputation: 548
You mentioned that she wants to live south of Quantico, but in case you don't know traffic around Fredericksburg is terrible. Interstate 95 at Rt 17 and Rt 3 should be avoided if possible. Maybe look around Aquia and Garrisonville Road which are just south of Quantico.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2013, 02:14 PM
 
9 posts, read 14,824 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundman View Post
You mentioned that she wants to live south of Quantico, but in case you don't know traffic around Fredericksburg is terrible. Interstate 95 at Rt 17 and Rt 3 should be avoided if possible. Maybe look around Aquia and Garrisonville Road which are just south of Quantico.
Thanks that is exactly where we have been looking. Is that a relatively safe/good area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2013, 05:59 AM
 
Location: among the clustered spires
2,380 posts, read 3,861,715 times
Reputation: 869
Is there anywhere in Stafford that's really unsafe? I'm not aware of it.

There is a VRE stop right on base, so anywhere from Fredericksburg on up would be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2013, 09:20 PM
 
Location: northern va
1,586 posts, read 2,124,311 times
Reputation: 1374
Woodstream has a handful of garage townhomes currently for rent for <$1,800. right off 143, so close to quantico. all built earlier than 2006-2007.

I'll admit I'm not sure what, if, anything they have for a fitness center. they do appear to have a pool, and plenty of jogging area with minimal traffic

just a thought
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2013, 05:44 AM
 
9 posts, read 14,824 times
Reputation: 10
Thanks all, very helpful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2013, 11:45 AM
 
Location: The Mountains of AlaBAMA!
300 posts, read 496,225 times
Reputation: 170
Port Aquia is right off Route 1 in Stafford (eight minutes to Quantico without traffic). 3-4 bedroom 3-level Townhomes rent for 1600-1800 a month. Excellent location to shops and restaurants, but traffic getting up to 610 during rush hour can be bad at times. Residents are only responsible for cutting the back of their yards inside the fence line.

Stay out of Garrison Woods and Sky Terrace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2013, 05:11 PM
 
9 posts, read 14,824 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamnbam View Post
Port Aquia is right off Route 1 in Stafford (eight minutes to Quantico without traffic). 3-4 bedroom 3-level Townhomes rent for 1600-1800 a month. Excellent location to shops and restaurants, but traffic getting up to 610 during rush hour can be bad at times. Residents are only responsible for cutting the back of their yards inside the fence line.

Stay out of Garrison Woods and Sky Terrace.
Thanks for the info and tips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2013, 03:39 AM
 
Location: Virginia-Shenandoah Valley
6,555 posts, read 10,846,462 times
Reputation: 5564
Why does she want to be south of Quantico? Does she not know about I 95? Why not look at something like Montclair. She goes south for a short distance on 95, if she even wants to use 95. 95 has to be the absolutely worst interstate and it always has something happening on it. Have them check WTOP.com daily for a while and they will see it's a nightmare more often than other roads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2013, 05:48 AM
 
10,596 posts, read 12,092,834 times
Reputation: 6458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Why does she want to be south of Quantico? Does she not know about I 95? Why not look at something like Montclair. She goes south for a short distance on 95, if she even wants to use 95. 95 has to be the absolutely worst interstate and it always has something happening on it. Have them check WTOP.com daily for a while and they will see it's a nightmare more often than other roads.
Bigfoot is correct. I live in Woodbridge (north of Quantico) and commute into DC everyday. I am on the road by 5:15AM and I turn on WTOP right away to see what I'm facing. In the last 2 years, there has been, it seems, at least 2 incidents per week, that early, right along the area of I95 where the drivers can access the HOV lanes (a little north of Quantico). This invariably causes a major backup south of Quantico with horrendous overflow onto Rt. 1. The morning rush hour for those people never recovers.

The best thing to do, if she can afford it, is to move north of Quantico and do a reverse commute. Montclair is an excellent neighborhood (no fitness center though) but I'm sure there are others just slight north of Quantico that she could look into.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top