Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 04:01 PM

20,103 posts, read 16,072,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
So what happens to someone like you if you get laid off assuming it would take at least six months to find a new job?
They move in with Mom and Dad, become homeless, bum off friends, and/or live off credit cards until they are maxed out. We took a young family friend in for a while after they couldn't make it up here on $40,000. That allowed them to pay off a couple of bills and then put aside some money and find a roommate situation that worked. In this area living off less than $50,000 is rough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 04:40 PM

832 posts, read 1,413,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
So what happens to someone like you if you get laid off assuming it would take at least six months to find a new job?
Well... I took this job so I would have confidence that I wouldn't get laid off. That's the trade off in jumping to the feds, lower income, more stability.

I won't get laid off. But if my position was somehow eliminated, I'm first in line for another position that opens under the displaced employee regulations. It would not take 6 months. Believe it or not, this federal employee came to the agency with private sector skills that were only increased by working for the government. I know... rare. A federal employee with skills that are marketable out in the wild!!!

As for what I'd do if I did get laid off at some point, I'm not sure. Even if I was furloughed, I'm still a federal employee. As a federal employee, I can not just up and get a second job. I need permission from my agency to do that. Permission would likely be granted, but who would hire me because I'd go back to my agency as soon as I was allowed to? And I have no idea how long they'd make me wait for granting that permission if they're all not working.

Because of the demands of my job, which includes sometimes mandatory overtime, I would not be able to keep the second job. So I guess, if I absolutely had to do it, I could relocate and do my job in the private sector. Basically be a turn coat. Which would not happen. The lawsuit from my agency would not result in my winning. But more so, I'm not set up like that. I love my work, what I do and I believe in it. Which means I'd have to do what I've always done when in up the creek in college and while waiting for this job. Get a minimum wage job that allows for unlimited overtime.

They do exist. They're not pretty jobs, but they're there.

I can't move in with anyone because I don't have any family here. I have co-workers who are now friends, but they'd be in the same boat as me with lease agreements and what not. My only option would be to have that talk with my landlord, put my car payment on the credit card and beg my family for money I guess.

Wasn't it Mark Twain who said something like "There are many things I've worried about in my life, but most of them never happened."

Old 09-28-2013, 05:54 PM

540 posts, read 787,805 times
Pretty much a guarantee now. Now the question is how long.

Old 09-28-2013, 07:51 PM

132 posts, read 323,362 times
It's live on C-SPAN now. With the latest republican proposal, it's a guaranteed shutdown now. Does anyone know what direction that Frank Wolf and other republicans whose constituents would be negatively impacted will vote?

I will not vote for any republicans any time soon. They are sore losers. People voted for Democrats overwhelmingly in 2008. People reelected President Obama. The law is a result of constitutional democracy. Having control of only one half of one branch of the government, doesn't give them the right to destroy the democracy.

Old 09-28-2013, 09:29 PM

1,449 posts, read 3,164,042 times
I thought that Wolf was fighting against this nonsense. Maybe it is on his website? I just read something about him to my husband this morning from the paper re: FBI funding.

Old 09-29-2013, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by novajs View Post
It's live on C-SPAN now. With the latest republican proposal, it's a guaranteed shutdown now. Does anyone know what direction that Frank Wolf and other republicans whose constituents would be negatively impacted will vote?

I will not vote for any republicans any time soon. They are sore losers. People voted for Democrats overwhelmingly in 2008. People reelected President Obama. The law is a result of constitutional democracy. Having control of only one half of one branch of the government, doesn't give them the right to destroy the democracy.
But... you've sort of used your own argument against your own argument.

"Having control of only one half of one branch of the government, doesn't give them the right to destroy the democracy"

Which is exactly why the republicans are taking a stand. Regardless of how you feel about it, half the country feels that it's Obama's policies that are destroying the democracy. Just because he was voted in, doesn't give him the right to forget about the other half who are opposed to his views.

Is the point of a democratic ideology to protect the underrepresented? If it's not, then what are we fighting for in the middle east?

Obama has control over one branch of the government as well, and there are plenty of people who would think that he's ruining it. He seriously weakened Executive powers with his take on the Syria issue because he would rather put the burden on someone and everyone else, than own up to his words. And his selectiveness on law enforcement issues have demoralized the majority of his subordinates. He is the law enforcement of our government and he doesn't do it.

While I don't agree with what the Republicans are doing, neither will I vote for anyone as media savvy and weak as Obama again. And I at least respect the republicans for adhering to the wishes of their constituents.

This Obamacare issue has come up way too many times for him to ignore the other half. He must agree to some concessions because the issue is so decisive. I no longer believe his whole "I will not negotiate. This is my red line". He has no red line. He's going to go down in the books as weaker than Ford.

If he's going to use his red lines rhetoric, I'd much rather he used it to protect the country from outside forces, not political hot buttons on the inside.

But the Republicans need to take a step back and realize that that Obamacare has been ruled a tax. As a tax, it can be repealed and changed in the future if it poses the economic problems they're claiming it will.

Old 09-29-2013, 08:47 AM

132 posts, read 323,362 times
Unfortunately, Wolf voted with his party last night to shut down the government. I guess for him thousands of his constituents not getting paid was not a big deal. If I were him, I would offer an amendment that civilian employees would also get paid but congress should not.

Old 09-29-2013, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by novajs View Post
Unfortunately, Wolf voted with his party last night to shut down the government. I guess for him thousands of his constituents not getting paid was not a big deal. If I were him, I would offer an amendment that civilian employees would also get paid but congress should not.
I agree.

Allegedly, we're all in this together, right?

So come sing cumbaya with us oh great fearless leaders.

Come on now... I just have to make a stop off at the Dollar Store for tonight's dinner. But after that, we can share a bus ride... err, walk to the local park err... parking lot and hold a candle light vigil for the unfortunately unemployed.

Old 09-29-2013, 10:01 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,104,483 times
Let's focus on how the potential government shutdown will affect Northern Virginia and not turn this into a discussion more relevant to the Politics forum. Adherence to this will maximize the life of this thread and minimize infractions.

Enjoy this mild Sunday weather!

Old 09-29-2013, 10:33 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,003,833 times
I totally agree that this thread needs to stay focus on the local impact of this issue.

Keeping it focused on the local, I do want to say that Frank Wolf is our local representative, and I expect him to put the needs of the people who live in his district above political games. Very dismayed by him right now. I expected the House to do what they did, but not our local guy. Doesn't he see what shutting down the government does to local businesses? Not to mention government contractors who have been out of work since all the game playing last January. I know several people who will be harmed by a government shutdown, and I also think it will be generally harmful to northern VA. I know it happens all the time, but I still hate it when I see a local politician sell out his own district to further his political career. Sorry Frank, you lost my support. And since I see him at local events, I won't hesitate to tell him so to his face.

Last edited by Caladium; 09-29-2013 at 11:01 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia