Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2007, 07:35 AM

18 posts, read 30,688 times

Advertisements

Can anyone please share the definitive source for finding rental homes? Dunno if it's Realtor.com or something else, but when people put their homes up for rent, what's the first place they think of to advertise?

Also, would welcome opinions on leisure/vacation activities in the Blue Ridge Mountains. Are there mountain views, or is it just big hills? Do NOVAers find the west appealing (if so, where/why, please), or is it mostly east to the water, DC, V Beach, etc?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2007, 07:55 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,998,710 times
I originally put my listing (for a condo rental) in the Washington Post - but I just hate that - no description, no photos, and then you have to suddenly be on the phone with someone (I sort of hate phones, at least in a context like that).

I once listed with a realtor, but that took the longest to get it rented ...

Then I tried Craigslist.org which was wonderful, and the prospective tenants were of extremely high quality.

So, I think I would look at craigslist, unless there is something I don't know about. For a house rental, maybe you should check in with a realtor. It is free on your end.

We always go to the Blue Ridge Mountains. Wow, Skyline Drive is hugely popular. It is just gorgeous. Also, in Maryland you have the Catoctin Mountains. I don't know about the relative popularity of the Shenandoahs versus the ocean. Interesting question, but I think the Blue Ridge Mountains are very popular for weekend outings, etc.

Old 11-18-2007, 08:21 AM

18 posts, read 30,688 times
Default GoldenMom

Thank you very much.

Any cool towns/villages that are a draw in the BR Mtns, ideally within a 2-3 hour drive of the airport? I've searched Blackle, and 'Wintergreen/Nelson' looks interesting.

Really appreciate your response(s) and this board.

Old 11-18-2007, 09:16 AM

Hi,

I used to have a list of about 3 or 4 cute towns, but now I can't seem to even find them on a map. I think one is Staunton. Also try this - I think it is "Skyland" that I love so much - it is one of the visitor centers in the national park with a dining room overlooking the woods - wow:

Taking a Trip on the Skyline Drive - Itinerary

Here is another link:

Visit Shenandoah - Plan Your Trip (broken link)

Another town, although I'm taking you out of the park, is Washington, VA. There is a very famous (very, very $$$$) restaurant called The Inn at Little Washington. It is among the best restaurants in the country and is very well known in the DC area. It is fun to visit and has a lovely gift shop. The town is also nice to visit. A local gave us the name of a place to eat - he shook his head at the places I had found online (do I remember where we ate - of course not!). The local was a farmer who runs a small shop on his property with pies and apple butters, etc.

Old 11-18-2007, 09:17 AM

Default Ps

I love Wintergreen - you mean the ski resort - yes, very nice, even if you aren't skiing. It has a day spa, etc., etc.

Also, another place to search is the website for The Washingtonian magazine Washingtonian.com - they do tons of articles on weekend outings, day trips, etc.

Another edit: the search term I was trying to remember above is "Rappahannock (County)". That includes some of the cute towns like Sperryville, Washington, and others. However, now you have me missing Wintergreen Resort.

Last edited by goldenmom7500; 11-18-2007 at 09:29 AM..

Old 11-18-2007, 09:44 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,961,642 times
I advertise on craigslist a lot and it is a good source for rentals. Also, a site for the public is HomesDatabase, you can view but not advertise on it.

I love Shenandoah National Park, and we try to stay at Skylands a couple times a year, no phone in rooms and no tv in some so it is very restful. Try any of the small towns in the Shenandoah valley, very friendly people. Also try a little further west in WV, the Canaan Valley Lodge and Blackwater Falls State Park are great, and we are talking mountains here! I am not a beach person although I do like Virginia Beach, the quiet part of the boardwalk is in the southern part.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:20 AM

4 posts, read 8,258 times
i am trying to find a quiet senior rental facility in the blue ridge va or staunton va area..writing a book, dont like noise, want peace & quiet..little money..love God, so what is left..?? any suggestions I do love the mountains, raised in NH...many moons ago.
this is new for me but apprec. any positive suggestions for followthru.
novice 18
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia