Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2013, 07:03 PM

9 posts, read 18,121 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone! Hoping some of you can offer ideas or suggestions for someone who is moving to the area very soon. I will be working in McLean. Little background info, I'm in my late 20's, single male. I have no debt besides a car loan. I'll be making about $54,000 before taxes. I'm over the whole "party scene" but do enjoy an occasional good beer/dinner out and would like to be close to things to do/shopping and possibly a metro station. Can I afford a 1 bedroom on this salary?

What area would you recommend I look at to live? I don't want a commute that is going to kill me so something relatively close to McLean I would imagine. I've researched Tyson's Corner and looks kind of appealing? Any help would greatly be appreciated, I don't have a lot of time to find a place!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 08:30 PM

9,865 posts, read 14,043,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusionx View Post
I'll be making about $54,000 before taxes. Can I afford a 1 bedroom on this salary?
Honestly, we don't know your spending tolerances and saving allowances. Instead of giving your salary, let us know how much you are comfortable spending on rent. Then we can make suggestions.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:39 PM

1,784 posts, read 3,451,845 times
Where in McLean? Is this basically Tyson's Corner w/ a McLean address, or actual "downtown" McLean (i.e. Chain Bridge and Old Dominion)? How much would you feel comfortable spending on the HOT lanes for commuting?

Old 09-28-2013, 05:18 AM

2,462 posts, read 8,902,338 times
Safe, affordable, convenient: pick two. Not always the case, but usually.

You can expect to pay at least $1500 for a 1 BR apartment in which a professional adult would be comfortable. Many newcomers in their 20's have roommates.

You will pay a premium to live near the Metro. You will also pay a premium to live close to DC and the Ballston corridor in Arlington where many young professionals hang out. If you will be driving to work, the premium may not be worth it. Metro will be opening in the Tyson's area later this year, but you won't be using it for your commute unless you find an apartment in an area already served by Metro, closer to DC, or in Reston. If you are willing to drive to work, you will get more housing space/ amenities for your money, and you can consider areas further out.

That said, traffic in the area is awful, and if you haven't done it before, you may not fully appreciate how important it is to minimize the commute. In your situation, a short term furnished rental in the Tyson's area may make sense. That will give you some time to explore other communities and test your commute tolerance before committing to a one year lease.

Last edited by claremarie; 09-28-2013 at 05:54 AM..

Old 09-28-2013, 11:24 AM

4,893 posts, read 7,407,597 times
If you are new to the area and don't already have a social group, Washington can be a bit lonely. Not so much because they're unfriendly, but people are very busy and many are UVA/VT/UMd etc alumni. Read through the threads and you'll find lots of complaining about how to meet people. So, consider a roommate for at least the first year. You'll save money and get to know the area as well as make some social connections. On Craigslist you can find lots of listing for late 20s who want quieter houses where the parties stay at the bar.

Congratulations on the job and best of luck.

Old 09-28-2013, 12:21 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,690,741 times
I too would suggest renting a house with other young adults. Apartments in or near McLean (or Falls Church, Vienna, or N. Arlington) I suspect are going to more expensive than 1500/month. And with a housemate or group house, you'll have a nucleus from which to get to know other people.

Nearby areas that *might* be in your budget are Vienna, Reston, and maybe even parts of Falls Church. N. Arlington along Lee Highway (far from Metrorail but with many safe and dependable bus lines) might also have something.

Good luck!

Old 09-28-2013, 02:42 PM

9 posts, read 18,121 times
Thanks for some of the suggestions guys. I should have been a little more specific. I'd like to find a place for no more than $1500/month. I'll actually be working in Langley just off the GW Parkway or Rte 123/193. My car will be used to commute to and from work. My wanting to live "semi" close to a metro stop was mostly easy access to D.C. to do things on my days off without driving but that is not a necessity. Ideally, I'd like my commute to be no longer than 30 minutes each way, so I guess that is my "range". Toll roads will not be an issue as my employer will contribute monthly for it.

Old 09-28-2013, 04:22 PM

518 posts, read 1,447,527 times
Quote:
Thanks for some of the suggestions guys. I should have been a little more specific. I'd like to find a place for no more than $1500/month. I'll actually be working in Langley just off the GW Parkway or Rte 123/193. My car will be used to commute to and from work. My wanting to live "semi" close to a metro stop was mostly easy access to D.C. to do things on my days off without driving but that is not a necessity. Ideally, I'd like my commute to be no longer than 30 minutes each way, so I guess that is my "range". Toll roads will not be an issue as my employer will contribute monthly for it.
For 1,500/mo you could rent a studio near a metro stop in Arlington. Check out the Rosslyn neighborhood. You would be walking distance to Georgetown, a metro station and bus lines, and right next to the GW Parkway. Apartments near the Ballston metro station are another option. From there you'd take Old Dominion Drive to McLean. The commute from there would also be really easy.

Old 09-28-2013, 05:44 PM

947 posts, read 1,396,309 times
Quote:
Hmmm...wonder which particular employer just happens to be around there...

Anyway, I second Carlingtonian's advice to at least initially look for a group house of young professionals where you can share the rent and hopefully meet some other people around your own age. But I'd also suggest that in addition to Northern Virginia, you also look into the far western neighborhoods of Northwest DC such as MacArthur Blvd., American University, the Palisades, etc. A group house there is probably the only way you can keep your housing expense under $1,500 monthly in one of these neighborhoods. I'm guessing from that area to Langley (via Canal Road, Chain Bridge, and Rt. 123) shouldn't take you more than 20 or 25 minutes maximum in rush hour, since you'll be going against all the traffic coming into the District. In non-rush hour, the stretch from the traffic circle at Nebraska and Massachusetts Ave. in DC to the Rt. 123/193 intersection in VA usually takes me 10-12 minutes.

Good luck with the house hunting.

Old 09-28-2013, 05:59 PM

9,865 posts, read 14,043,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICS67 View Post
I'm guessing from that area to Langley (via Canal Road, Chain Bridge, and Rt. 123) shouldn't take you more than 20 or 25 minutes maximum in rush hour, since you'll be going against all the traffic coming into the District. In non-rush hour, the stretch from the traffic circle at Nebraska and Massachusetts Ave. in DC to the Rt. 123/193 intersection in VA usually takes me 10-12 minutes.
That route, while technically against traffic, isn't going to be as quick as you think, specifically in the evening. 123 backs up immensely in the evening to make the left hand turn onto Chain Bridge. Sometimes, the back-up extends back to the GW Parkway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia