Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 11:01 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundman View Post
Instead of leaving your house at 5:30 am, how about picking up 2 slugs at the commuter lot and take the HOV lanes. You could then leave as late as 8:15 am. While some consider it a hassle to interact with strangers, I think that is less of a hassle then getting up at 4 am.

Or take the PRTC commuter bus. You can catch the bus after 8 am and still get into DC before 9 am.
I had to chuckle over this. While I hate getting up at 4:15 a.m., I'd much rather do that and have a somewhat peaceful ride to work early (and it is) then deal with a bunch of people in the morning!! I've done the slug thing when I had to. For the most part it's nice but:1. As a female, you need to get over the "safety" factor (and it is safe)2. There's a lot of smelly people out there. A LOT. I can't tell you how many times I held my breath in the morning due to strong perfume or reeking smokers.But I do realize that some folks really can.not.get.out.of.bed!!! To each his own!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 11:44 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,986,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I had to chuckle over this. While I hate getting up at 4:15 a.m., I'd much rather do that and have a somewhat peaceful ride to work early (and it is) then deal with a bunch of people in the morning!! I've done the slug thing when I had to. For the most part it's nice but:1. As a female, you need to get over the "safety" factor (and it is safe)2. There's a lot of smelly people out there. A LOT. I can't tell you how many times I held my breath in the morning due to strong perfume or reeking smokers.But I do realize that some folks really can.not.get.out.of.bed!!! To each his own!
That's pretty funny. I have heard how awkward it can be because some people don't want any talking. Not sure how fun an option that is unless you are desperate.

Old 10-01-2013, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtvatitans View Post
That's pretty funny. I have heard how awkward it can be because some people don't want any talking. Not sure how fun an option that is unless you are desperate.
I slugged for a year when I had to put the kids on the bus and couldn't leave my house until 6:20. I picked up riders every morning. I got used to it, it was fine, but I'll take getting up early and a peaceful ride with my radio up load over sleeping in anytime! I do know a few "night owls" though that would put up with ANYTHING just to stay in bed.
The worst part of slugging, to me, was the smells.

Old 10-01-2013, 02:08 PM

85 posts, read 160,845 times
Very good information here, guys! Thanks! I'm open to multiple options, but to begin I'll probably have to drive so I can figure out timing and specifics before I'm comfortable trying public transit. And I can always change my schedule if I need to! I don't mind slugging, but I wonder if it's the same amount of travel time if I slug later in the morning or just drive at the crack of dawn. I'm definitely not a morning person, but I do have my children to think about after school.

Old 10-01-2013, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2write79 View Post
Very good information here, guys! Thanks! I'm open to multiple options, but to begin I'll probably have to drive so I can figure out timing and specifics before I'm comfortable trying public transit. And I can always change my schedule if I need to! I don't mind slugging, but I wonder if it's the same amount of travel time if I slug later in the morning or just drive at the crack of dawn. I'm definitely not a morning person, but I do have my children to think about after school.

Yes, that was the beauty of the 6AM-2:30 shift for me. I was pulling in my driveway at around 3:15 on a good traffic day. I was always able to fix and early dinner and then get the kids off to whereever they needed to be. I just don't know how people do it that work until 5PM or so and then have to make their way home. Most "kid" stuff starts before they can even get home.

Old 10-01-2013, 03:13 PM

633 posts, read 1,012,667 times
Forget the slugs... YUK.... all depends on exactly where in Lake Ridge you are. If you are by Tacketts Mill, you can leave a little later, say 5:45. If you are closer to West Ridge, I would leave at 5:30.

Also depends on where your job is in DC. I have found 395 to be the best way in - with detours in different places in Arlington if need be. NO WAY would I touch 66.

Old 10-02-2013, 02:50 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,243,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaving4Ca View Post
Forget the slugs... YUK.... all depends on exactly where in Lake Ridge you are. If you are by Tacketts Mill, you can leave a little later, say 5:45. If you are closer to West Ridge, I would leave at 5:30.

Also depends on where your job is in DC. I have found 395 to be the best way in - with detours in different places in Arlington if need be. NO WAY would I touch 66.
Are you serious? While 66 is not really an option for the OP I do believe 66 is a better road than 95. Look/listen to WTOP for 2 weeks and compare the two. There are always more incidents on 95. ALWAYS. More backups due to crashes, construction etc. While 66 can be slow and backed up after 530-6 it is still better than 95 with all its issues.

Old 10-02-2013, 06:02 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,393,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaving4Ca View Post
NO WAY would I touch 66.
I-66 should not even be considered as a route from Lake Ridge to DC.

Old 10-02-2013, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Are you serious? While 66 is not really an option for the OP I do believe 66 is a better road than 95. Look/listen to WTOP for 2 weeks and compare the two. There are always more incidents on 95. ALWAYS. More backups due to crashes, construction etc. While 66 can be slow and backed up after 530-6 it is still better than 95 with all its issues.

I don't know...I have many coworkers who use I66 out of Centreville and Manassas, into DC, and by and large, they are having a worse time of it than those coming up from Woodbridge. Yes, I95 has awful things happen, especially during the summer months, but when comparing notes, the I95 folks seem to have an average commute of less time. I have one woman in my office who takes an hour of leave every Friday afternoon because she can't get down 66 in a reasonable about of time leaving at 3:30 from DC. Slow all the way when there are no incidents.

I think it used to be that 95 was the worst, but I feel in the last 2-3 years I-66 has eclipsed it.

Old 10-02-2013, 08:39 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,243,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I don't know...I have many coworkers who use I66 out of Centreville and Manassas, into DC, and by and large, they are having a worse time of it than those coming up from Woodbridge. Yes, I95 has awful things happen, especially during the summer months, but when comparing notes, the I95 folks seem to have an average commute of less time. I have one woman in my office who takes an hour of leave every Friday afternoon because she can't get down 66 in a reasonable about of time leaving at 3:30 from DC. Slow all the way when there are no incidents.

I think it used to be that 95 was the worst, but I feel in the last 2-3 years I-66 has eclipsed it.
Still don't agree. I 95 has the luxury of separate HOV lanes and can handle more cars. Problem is, it is handling more cars/vehicles. Way more accidents and incidents occur on 95 compared to 66. Not saying 66 is easy, it isn't, but 95 is much worse. Just watch WTOP.Com daily for awhile and you'll see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia