U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 05:47 PM

118 posts, read 564,239 times

Advertisements

I have heard that northern Spotsylvania is not as rural as southern Spotsylvania. What has happened there? Also can you give me a idea of what to expect in the county and how it differs in certain areas. Would you still consider Spotsylvania rural?..Need some info PLEASE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2007, 08:30 PM

738 posts, read 3,566,344 times
The northern area is near the city of Fredericksburg... the more south you go, the further from the city, shopping, the highway ... basically everything, you are. It's like any sub-urban area, the closer to the city or highway you are, the less rural it is. the further you go out, the more rural it'll be.

If I had to draw a line between sub-urban and rural in Spotsylvania, I'd use massaponax church road, and brock road. Generally anything north/east of these roads will be sub-urban with lots of schools, shopping, good highway access, and all that. Most of the area south/west of those roads is fairly rural, farms, less schools/shopping, and further from the highway (except around Thornburg, but there's not much there).

I've lived in Spotsylvania my whole life (exept of course college), until last year when I purchased a home in Caroline County (the county to the south of Spotsy). If you have any other questions, I'd be glad to answer them.

Old 11-19-2007, 03:07 PM

Thumbs up Nice detailed info

I REALLY appreciate this info and the fact that you know the area that well. I seen your post on here a few days ago about Spotsylvania so I thought I would ask. We haven't been there in 20 years since we stayed in the area during our honeymoon. There is nothing like local people telling you the real story.

My husband and I are relocating from NJ -another transplant and until he retires in 5 years he wants to re-establish his home inprovements business he has had here for 35 years, in our new town. How do you think it would be for work for him there. He also does handy man jobs. Actually he would rather do odd jobs then total bathroom and kitchen renovations. Good money in the big jobs but the small ones add up real good too. Alot of contractors don't want to bother with repairs, etc.they want the big bucks and won't even return a call. What's you input on this please. Just know you are a GREAT help!

Old 11-19-2007, 08:35 PM

There's probably a lot of work down here for him, BUT... I'd say that about 80% of the homes in Spotsylvania were built in the 90's or newer. You're not going to find many people looking to fix up an older home, since there aren't many. When I was a kid, Spotsy had a population of around 30k... now I think it's almost 130k

Between 1990 and 200, the population of the county grew almost 60%. Between 2000 and 2006 the population grew over 30%. This is of course why there's so many newer homes.

The housing market in Fredericksburg has gone down now, which is actually good for someone liek your husband. See, from around 2001 through 2005 houses were selling within days of being on the market. People were buying houses for very high prices, and sometimes not even looking at a house before putting in an offer. There was almost no incentive for people to do home improvements, because people would buy their house no matter what. Now that the market is correcting itself, people need to make improvements to their house to get it to sell.

The houseing market is (in my oppinion) bottoming out this winter, and will probably get better starting this spring. I know that no-one can know for sure, but I've been fairly good at figuring out the real estate market so far.

Anyways, if you have any other questions, just ask. You may also want to look at Caroline. Your husband could still work around Spotsylvania, but if you live in Caroline you'll pay lower taxes, pay less for your house, and enjoy a more rural area. (Caroline has a population of only about 23k people, but is about 25% larger.)

Old 11-20-2007, 08:09 AM

Actually Caroline was the first place I started looking this past Spring, now I am looking back in that area, Hanover, New Kent and King William. What do you think about those areas? Again, you are really helping us alot!

Old 11-20-2007, 08:11 AM

352 posts, read 1,442,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debaroo View Post
Actually Caroline was the first place I started looking this past Spring, now I am looking back in that area, Hanover, New Kent and King William. What do you think about those areas? Again, you are really helping us alot!
Um, now you're more talking Richmond suburbs instead of NoVA. Where are you going to be commuting to?

Old 11-20-2007, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knopfler View Post
Um, now you're more talking Richmond suburbs instead of NoVA. Where are you going to be commuting to?
She's been posting in the Richmond section too.

And I honestly don't know too much about those other areas (Besides Caroline). So far my wife and I like it here in Caroline County. We commute to the Innsbrook area each day. (South Glen Allen, near shortpump)

If you have any questions about Caroline, I can answer those too... but you might get something by searching my past posts on the topic too. (I've talked a lot about Caroline and the community I live in... maybe too much)

Old 11-22-2007, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knopfler View Post
Is Spotsylvania Northern VA?..Where actually is the cut off point? I don't care either way if I live in NoVA or Central. My husband dosen't have work there yet, he has to get his business going again once we get there, which dosen't seem to be a problem. That's actually our second concern, getting a house is the main concern now.

We are trying to get in the outskirts(within a 1/2 drive to either city) of Richmond OR Fredericksburg, since either one of those cities he intends to work in or around.

Last edited by Debaroo; 11-22-2007 at 01:46 PM.. Reason: Needed to add to post.

Old 11-23-2007, 02:06 PM

Well, I personally think that anything north of Quantico marine base (which is just north of Fredericksburg) and east of Haymarket (which is just west of Manassas)

Some people include the Fredericksburg area, since so many people live in Spotsylvania/Stafford, and then commute to Northern VA or DC.

For the industry your husband is in, I wouldn't suggest looking for a home anywhere north of Fredericksburg, since he'd be getting paid almost the same no matter if it's up there, or closer to Richmond. The only difference is that you'll have to pay a lot more for your home.

Old 12-02-2007, 01:08 PM

2,675 posts, read 4,536,920 times
Here's a little different perspective, based on your husband's work: If he doesn't mind driving (and this can be a major pain here) everyone in Arlington (where I live) and nearby would love to have a good handyman who can do a lot of different things well and is honest and fair. As you say, many contractors want the bigger jobs, and some handypersons don't have the skills they claim. In Arlington, Falls Church, etc., our houses are old and we have lots of little projects that we lack the skills and time to do, but are glad to pay the money for work well done (of course there are always going to be people who will try to cheap out!). Neighbors share recommendations very quickly with their neighbors and friends at work. Maybe he can carpool with someone else with similar hours. So I think if he's good, he will soon be in high demand, but it is very expensive to live in No. VA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debaroo View Post
I REALLY appreciate this info and the fact that you know the area that well. I seen your post on here a few days ago about Spotsylvania so I thought I would ask. We haven't been there in 20 years since we stayed in the area during our honeymoon. There is nothing like local people telling you the real story.

My husband and I are relocating from NJ -another transplant and until he retires in 5 years he wants to re-establish his home inprovements business he has had here for 35 years, in our new town. How do you think it would be for work for him there. He also does handy man jobs. Actually he would rather do odd jobs then total bathroom and kitchen renovations. Good money in the big jobs but the small ones add up real good too. Alot of contractors don't want to bother with repairs, etc.they want the big bucks and won't even return a call. What's you input on this please. Just know you are a GREAT help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia