Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 09:56 PM

3,557 posts, read 4,079,148 times

Advertisements

A visiting family member had their car towed from our apartment lot overnight because we forgot to display the visitor permit. I guess the tow truck cruises the lot at night and tows. Super shady. Anyways, I read something from 2009 that said towing required the owner or property owners signature. Is this still the case? Can anybody direct me to a good source?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2013, 10:10 PM

469 posts, read 1,034,767 times
Might require the owner's signature if it was parked in his space; but not guest parking.

Old 10-12-2013, 11:15 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,923,748 times
If it's an apartment complex then more than likely the tow company is contracted out and they are given full right to tow whenever necessary. Not sure if it's accurate to say it's shady but the only ones who can answer this question is your apartment's management company.

Old 10-12-2013, 11:21 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,627,307 times
I'm sure the property owner signed the towing contract. I know I sign a towing contract with the guys that prevent folks from turning my commercial property into a commuter lot.

BTW, how is this "super shady"? How is the tow guy supposed to know you forgot to display the visitor permit?

"Super shady" is entering the car, removing the permit, and then towing the car.

Old 10-13-2013, 08:13 AM

1,256 posts, read 4,181,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
"Super shady" is entering the car, removing the permit, and then towing the car.
They don't always bother removing the permit...I witnessed a tow truck driver hooking up a legally well-parked car with a permit prominently and properly displayed - the owner, as with most in that neighborhood (Ranger Road), was a recent immigrant but none-the-less spoke just fine english and asked "Why are you towing my car?" to which the tow truck driver replied "Oh! I didn't see that - sorry!", unhooked, and drove down the parking lot to get the next "illegally parked" car.

Old 10-13-2013, 08:59 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,627,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sullyguy View Post
They don't always bother removing the permit...I witnessed a tow truck driver hooking up a legally well-parked car with a permit prominently and properly displayed - the owner, as with most in that neighborhood (Ranger Road), was a recent immigrant but none-the-less spoke just fine english and asked "Why are you towing my car?" to which the tow truck driver replied "Oh! I didn't see that - sorry!", unhooked, and drove down the parking lot to get the next "illegally parked" car.

Oh, I'm sure there are shadier towing practices than the example I gave. But the OP specifically stated that he forgot to display a permit at a place where they are known to be required. There's not a thing in the world shady about that.

I give my towing company detailed instructions about my towing rules....if they violate them, they are in breach of contract, and I will find another towing company. The cardinal rule is: they must observe a driver park in my lot, get out, and walk straight to the bus stop. If they get distracted and there's the slightest bit of doubt, leave it alone. They are good about following my instructions....probably because they know that if they ever tow one of my tenants' customers' cars...I will find out about it immediately.

Old 10-13-2013, 11:16 AM

1,304 posts, read 2,412,261 times
I think the real issue is that towing companies in general are very shady. They are a necessarily evil, but if you gave a tow truck the option of helping a stranded motorist or towing some illegally parked car, where do you think EVERY tow driver is going to stop first?

I actually once had my car flatbedded within 15 minutes of being parked at an apt complex. I will readily admit that I missed the permit only sign, but the tow guy wouldn't even put my car down or give me a any break on the tow fee when I admitted my mistake. At least I convinced him to let me pay there instead of making me go to the tow yard.

OP unfortunately you are going to get stuck with the bill on this one. I believe some tow companies actually pay complexes for the right to tow from their lots.

Old 10-13-2013, 12:00 PM

9,863 posts, read 14,003,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyd888 View Post
I think the real issue is that towing companies in general are very shady. They are a necessarily evil, but if you gave a tow truck the option of helping a stranded motorist or towing some illegally parked car, where do you think EVERY tow driver is going to stop first?
Why would you say they automatically would tow the illegal car first? I would assume they would be paid the same amount for either action, so I don't see why one would be preferred over the other.

Old 10-13-2013, 12:05 PM

9,863 posts, read 14,003,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyd888 View Post
I actually once had my car flatbedded within 15 minutes of being parked at an apt complex.
I love how people believe there is a window of time (what is it? 15 minutes? 30 minutes?) where they should be allowed to not follow the rules.

Old 10-13-2013, 07:15 PM

3,557 posts, read 4,079,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
I love how people believe there is a window of time (what is it? 15 minutes? 30 minutes?) where they should be allowed to not follow the rules.
Actually they are supposed to unhook if you show up, you just have to pay $50. The whole business is scummy. I would be hard pressed to think of a more unscrupulous business. I understand I was in the wrong here, but I was just trying to get all of the facts because this very company was previously raided for its poor practices including overcharging and skirting the law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia