Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 04:29 PM

721 posts, read 1,209,679 times

Advertisements

I've been considering buying a brand-new condo in the MetroWest (south of the Vienna metro), specifically, I'm considering the 2BR/2BATH condos coming out early next year. Could someone share your experience about your home and community in the MetroWest? Were you surprised when you first moved to a home you had not seen before (because you picked the unit before it was built)? How is the insulation between the units (Do you hear your neighbors)? How do you like your community?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2013, 07:25 AM

172 posts, read 329,422 times
LoveAlbuquerque,
There were a few threads about MetroWest development on this forum in the past. Please check 2 links below.

Metro West development at Vienna Metro
New Construction Pricing in Fairfax/Vienna/Dunn Lorring (Mosaic District & MetroWest) one year later..

Did you also visited 2 condo models that they have?

I do not live in this community so I cannot comment on the condos or townhouses. But I do live near by and walk by this community often. The community itself looks nice. Yes, the buildings are quite close to each other, but it is expected since it is right next to the metro. I see a lot of people walking and running there. You may walk there to get a feeling and maybe even start a friendly conversation with owners to get their feedback :-) Good luck.

Old 10-30-2013, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RusUs View Post
LoveAlbuquerque,
There were a few threads about MetroWest development on this forum in the past. Please check 2 links below.

Metro West development at Vienna Metro
New Construction Pricing in Fairfax/Vienna/Dunn Lorring (Mosaic District & MetroWest) one year later..

Did you also visited 2 condo models that they have?

I do not live in this community so I cannot comment on the condos or townhouses. But I do live near by and walk by this community often. The community itself looks nice. Yes, the buildings are quite close to each other, but it is expected since it is right next to the metro. I see a lot of people walking and running there. You may walk there to get a feeling and maybe even start a friendly conversation with owners to get their feedback :-) Good luck.
The 2 condo model is not ready for viewing.

I took a look at the two links you sent. They provide, for the most part, pricing info, for that community. It seems that the prices have gone up quite a bit since April, 2012.

Thanks for the advice! I'll stop by the community and talk to the people who already live there.

Old 10-31-2013, 07:04 AM

LoveAlbuquerque,

I am confused... Are you talking about 2 floors condos in 4 floors buildings, closer to the metro station? Or maybe I assumed wrong and you meant different buildings/condos?

I am talking about condos in 4 floors building where one condo is on 1-2 floors and then the top condo in on 3-4 floors (a few buildings have been already built and occupied, and a few new ones are still in the process). These models were open and I checked them ~ a few weeks ago. They were fully furnished and decorated. They are located in the closest to the metro building, next to the park/trail.

Old 10-31-2013, 10:24 AM

20 posts, read 46,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RusUs View Post
LoveAlbuquerque,

I am confused... Are you talking about 2 floors condos in 4 floors buildings, closer to the metro station? Or maybe I assumed wrong and you meant different buildings/condos?

I am talking about condos in 4 floors building where one condo is on 1-2 floors and then the top condo in on 3-4 floors (a few buildings have been already built and occupied, and a few new ones are still in the process). These models were open and I checked them ~ a few weeks ago. They were fully furnished and decorated. They are located in the closest to the metro building, next to the park/trail.
You're referring to the townhome condos. I think LoveAlbuquerque is referring to the elevator condos. Currently the townhome condos are up and occupied with a few more being built/finished. The elevator condos, as LoveAlbuquerque mentioned, aren't available yet. However, I think they are breaking ground, they started fencing off an area of land at the intersection of Vaden Dr and Royal Victoria Dr, which is supposedly where one of the elevator condos will be located.

The series of homes are available here: MetroWest | Fairfax VA New Homes | Pulte Homes

Quote:
How is the insulation between the units (Do you hear your neighbors)?
For the town houses, insulation is okay. You definitely can hear kids screaming and/or chasing each other next door. Other than that no big complaints. For the townhome condos, the earlier condos had concrete separating the top and bottom floors and later on Pulte decided to not use concrete (reasoning was they drying time pushed closing dates back a week or two). I've heard from homeowners that the concrete didn't do much in preventing noise. However, if you have hardwood on the top floor, there are bylaws in place stating that a certain percentage (I think 85/90%, not sure though) must be covered by carpeting (rugs). This should prevent noises while your neighbors are walking around, however, it won't do much for kids being kids. I'm going to assume the elevator condos are going to push for the same bylaws.

Quote:
How do you like your community?
Community amenities are lacking especially for the amount you pay in HOA fees. Parking is an issue and will only become more of an issue as more of the homes are completed and people move in. If you can get over those, I see no problems at all. Personally, I have had no complaints regarding the community. If you ask the other homeowners, they may have some interesting stories for you.

Last edited by DenKinVA; 10-31-2013 at 10:43 AM..

Old 10-31-2013, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenKinVA View Post
You're referring to the townhome condos. I think LoveAlbuquerque is referring to the elevator condos. Currently the townhome condos are up and occupied with a few more being built/finished. The elevator condos, as LoveAlbuquerque mentioned, aren't available yet. However, I think they are breaking ground, they started fencing off an area of land at the intersection of Vaden Dr and Royal Victoria Dr, which is supposedly where one of the elevator condos will be located.

The series of homes are available here: MetroWest | Fairfax VA New Homes | Pulte Homes

For the town houses, insulation is okay. You definitely can hear kids screaming and/or chasing each other next door. Other than that no big complaints. For the townhome condos, the earlier condos had concrete separating the top and bottom floors and later on Pulte decided to not use concrete (reasoning was they drying time pushed closing dates back a week or two). I've heard from homeowners that the concrete didn't do much in preventing noise. However, if you have hardwood on the top floor, there are bylaws in place stating that a certain percentage (I think 85/90%, not sure though) must be covered by carpeting (rugs). This should prevent noises while your neighbors are walking around, however, it won't do much for kids being kids. I'm going to assume the elevator condos are going to push for the same bylaws.

Community amenities are lacking especially for the amount you pay in HOA fees. Parking is an issue and will only become more of an issue as more of the homes are completed and people move in. If you can get over those, I see no problems at all. Personally, I have had no complaints regarding the community. If you ask the other homeowners, they may have some interesting stories for you.
DenKinVA:

Thanks for sharing! Yes, I refer to the elevator condos that will be built sometime next year.

I did take a walk in that community. I didn't see a lot of activities, probably related to the time of the day. I'll stop by again during the weekend to see if there are more activities.

I noticed that the blinds of most houses were closed, probably due to the close distance with the neighbors in the adjacent building. I assume that you can see your neighbors across the windows if you open the blinds.

As for the carpet requirement, if I choose a first floor condo (when there is no one living under me), will I have to cover the floor with carpet?

Old 11-01-2013, 08:52 AM

DenKinVA,
Thank you for clarification. I agree, parking in this community is very limited. Where guests are supposed to park? Metro parking is an option but then visitors will have to walk.

As far as amenities, they started building a new community center. I heard that some county officials will be moving there? This is an old report, I cannot find a newer one.

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/provide...pring_2012.pdf

Old 11-01-2013, 10:16 AM

20 posts, read 46,181 times
No problem at all. Glad that I could share.

Quote:
I assume that you can see your neighbors across the windows if you open the blinds.
Definitely, I can see my neighbors and my neighbors can see me. If it's dark outside and bright inside the home, you can pretty much see everything. A downside for having homes so close to each other. However, you can always remedy that by closing your blinds. :-)

Quote:
As for the carpet requirement, if I choose a first floor condo (when there is no one living under me), will I have to cover the floor with carpet?
I haven't seen the bylaws myself, but I'm going to assume you'll be fine if you are on the lower level condo.

Quote:
As far as amenities, they started building a new community center. I heard that some county officials will be moving there?
LoveAlbuquerque, if you are wondering where this is, it's pretty much across the street from the intersection I mentioned in my prior post (along Vaden Dr). RusUs, I haven't heard much about it either, last I heard, the community center will include a gym/recreational activities, meeting/conference room(s), and other stuff as well. The Providence District supervisor (Smyth) will also be housed there along with a small satellite office for the Fairfax County Police Department.

Old 01-11-2014, 07:55 AM

5 posts, read 20,965 times
now the elevator condos are open in the MetroWest, do you consider to buy? what are pros and cons about the elevator condos and twonhouse condos?

Old 01-13-2014, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiaodizhu View Post
now the elevator condos are open in the MetroWest, do you consider to buy? what are pros and cons about the elevator condos and twonhouse condos?
xiaodizhu:

If you live in an elevator condo, access to the outside is not as easy as in a townhouse condo. For instance, you walk 10 feet down the hall, wait for and down the elevator, 10 feet to get to your car, then get outside; while you can pull your car straight out of your garage in a townhouse condo.

Also you're affected more by who live above and under, left and right of you in an elevator condo.

One more possible con (or could be a pro) is it faces a single side (e.g. east or west). You've got to like that direction (daylight, heat, etc) in order to enjoy your condo.

That being said, the advantages of an elevator condo are you don't have to walk up and down the stairs, and easy maintenance if you don't have time to trim the yard or shovel the snow.

That being said, a brand-new condo would be really nice, if you could afford one that you really like!

Last edited by LoveAlbuquerque; 01-13-2014 at 07:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia