Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 08:52 PM

11 posts, read 55,552 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to move from northern california to the DC area... is the traffic all cars going into the city or is there traffic getting to a metro station? I'm hoping to find a SFH near a safe metro station to avoid traffic. What's the farthest out "nice" area I can go and still catch the metro?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 09:18 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,892,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by russian_doll View Post
I'm looking to move from northern california to the DC area... is the traffic all cars going into the city or is there traffic getting to a metro station? I'm hoping to find a SFH near a safe metro station to avoid traffic. What's the farthest out "nice" area I can go and still catch the metro?
there's traffic going EVERYWHERE

farthest out "nice" area somewhat near a metro stop will dictate on your rent/purchasing power

Old 11-08-2013, 10:57 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,166,799 times
I agree with everything that kww said.

There aren't truly any "not nice" areas adjacent to the Metro stations in Northern Virginia. Some might feel that the Huntington terminus isn't so great although recent new housing developments may help to change that perception.

The Maryland side may be a little different in some cases. I'd encourage you to check out the "Washington DC suburbs of Maryland sub-forum for their take.

Old 11-08-2013, 11:15 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,945,482 times
The metro map can be found at wmata.com. Depending where you are working, there are also MARC and VRE trains (that use the amtrak lines) that go out further than the metro rail does. They have more limited stops though, and run on a very commuter-focused typical work day schedule.

There is traffic going everywhere. Unless you are walking distance to a station, you will experience traffic getting to work.

Old 11-08-2013, 12:27 PM

1,784 posts, read 3,459,211 times
SFH right near a metro stop in a good neighborhood? Better be prepared to spend $$$ !

Old 11-09-2013, 07:23 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,430,885 times
Since you're coming from Northern California you may not have the sticker shock many people have, but you price point will determine how close you are to a metro station. But, there are many metro buses hooked into the stations plus depending on where you work, an express bus may work better than metrorail. You need to give more info, where you will be working and your price range to get more detail responses.

Old 11-09-2013, 09:48 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,074,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kww View Post
there's traffic going EVERYWHERE
Yes - for instance, 80,000 people work at this place Tysons Corner, Virginia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-10-2013, 06:26 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,784,967 times
Well, I will just add a little more perspective from someone who used to live in the SF Bay Area and did my fair share of commuting there. Depending on where in the SF Bay Area you live, you may be no stranger to traffic or to issues around say getting to and parking at a BART station or to the fact that real estate is generally more expensive near BART stations. You will find some similarities here. In fact, the way Metro operates in the DC area reminds me a lot of the BART system in the Bay Area.

I disagree to an extent with the people who say there aren't any commuting patterns here. There are commuting patterns in every major metro area, but they are becoming increasingly complex with the rise of suburban work centers - the days of traffic existing only in and out of "downtown" are gone in most metro areas. But, that doesn't mean every commuting route is going to have the same amount of congestion or gridlock. My wife commutes from our home in Springfield to an office just outside the beltway on route 50 and, on occasion, to an office in Reston. She runs into a lot less gridlock than someone who commutes similar distances at the same time of day on 95/395 into DC. If you have specific commutes you are thinking about, you will probably get more helpful responses on this board.

It is possible to buy a SFH close to a Metro station and not deal with significant amounts of traffic every day, but your budget and housing expectations will dictate whether that is possible in your situation. Townhomes are also very popular in this area and will give you even more options depending on your budget.

Old 11-10-2013, 10:04 AM

2,772 posts, read 4,317,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
Yes - for instance, 80,000 people work at this place Tysons Corner, Virginia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
115,000 actually (and growing with the move of LMI and Intelsat next year)

Old 11-12-2013, 07:23 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,529,348 times
I would say that the Franconia-Springfield metro station is the easiest exurban station to get to. Vienna and Huntington are surrounded by traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia