U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 07:28 AM

1,332 posts, read 2,703,918 times

Advertisements

Looking to spend Christmas somewhere other than at home. Since I ruined Christmas forever for my 10 yr old last year when she figured out since the easter bunny was me..well she put two and two together. We figured we would go somewhere festive. Any suggestions. Other than NYC..just got back.

Really want to drive - but if there are suggestions for a wonderful place to spend Christmas with a 10 year old that would amaze her and we would have to fly - that is doable. (not Disney..btdt)

Someone suggested San Antonio???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 07:43 AM

447 posts, read 1,005,523 times
Christmas cruise? But, don't take from Baltimore. I would fly to Florida and catch from there. Would not do Baltimore again in the winter months.

Old 11-12-2013, 07:59 AM

7,970 posts, read 9,738,611 times
Christmas in Williamsburg is lovely.

Christmas in Williamsburg | Visit Williamsburg

Old 11-12-2013, 08:01 AM

2,612 posts, read 4,775,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slduvall View Post
Looking to spend Christmas somewhere other than at home. Since I ruined Christmas forever for my 10 yr old last year when she figured out since the easter bunny was me..well she put two and two together. We figured we would go somewhere festive. Any suggestions. Other than NYC..just got back.

Really want to drive - but if there are suggestions for a wonderful place to spend Christmas with a 10 year old that would amaze her and we would have to fly - that is doable. (not Disney..btdt)

New York City is the best place at Christmas. Very beautiful, kind of magical. That would be my choice. Definitely not someplace warm - it feels unchristmas-y. NYC is only 4-5 hours away.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:46 AM

5,104 posts, read 5,413,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slduvall View Post

Are you implying that Santa is not real??

Even though she has figured it out, are you not exchanging gifts still? When I was 10, there was no place I'd rather be than under the tree in my own living room playing with the toys that I received the night before (whether from family or Santa).

Old 11-12-2013, 09:21 AM

2,772 posts, read 3,658,321 times
I like going to beaches in the winter (Bethany is a good one)... then again that might not be the most fun for others

Old 11-12-2013, 09:28 AM

1,835 posts, read 2,603,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Christmas in Williamsburg is lovely.

Christmas in Williamsburg | Visit Williamsburg
Along with Williamsburg is Great Wolf Lodge, Williamsburg Water Park | Family Resorts in Virginia |GreatWolf.com. I have heard its great for families. I also just got back from The Homestead, Virginia Resort & Virginia Spa | Omni Homestead Resort & Canyon Ranch SpaClub. It looks like a fabulous place for Christmas, as long as you can get up the mountain roads, however don't know how much they have for children and families, but they apparently do have skiing.

Old 11-12-2013, 02:37 PM

8,125 posts, read 12,703,229 times
How about Hershey?

Hersheypark > Christmas Candylane

Old 11-12-2013, 02:53 PM

10,606 posts, read 12,159,059 times
Well you've taken Disney and NYC off the list. To me, those are the only two places that will really "amaze" a 10 year old. I spent a lot of time as a kid in Williamsburg. Nice place, but not "amazing." Can't think of anything really amazing. I always loved lots of presents under the tree!

Old 11-12-2013, 03:11 PM

790 posts, read 1,613,306 times
San Antonio is not 3 to 4 hours away. It can be a festive place for the holidays. The Riverwalk is gorgeous with all the lights. However, it is very crowded. Are you an outdoorsy type? Wondering if Deep Creek Lake, MD, would be of interest. Lots of skiing, hiking, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or