U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 01:38 PM

43 posts, read 77,259 times

Advertisements

I'm originally from Northern California (with wife and 1 kid) and I was considering moving to the DC area and living in NoVa. A lot of people advised me not to in this forum. I actually got a job in DC but I turned it down cause the pay was only 4k more than what I made with no relocation. I moved to San Diego instead and I don't really like it here either (but it is waaaay better than the bay area). Yeah the beach is 15 minutes away but when it is that close you take it for granted. I mean, I only went to the beach 3 times this year.

I'm still thinking what it'd be like to move to NoVa. I work with a lot of people in my current job that are from the east coast. I told them I'd love to live in the snow and they said, "you are crazy, I never want to see snow again my whole life." They told me, it is different when you come for a vacation and go but when you have to live in it it is horrible. East Coast people that know me said I probably wouldn't fit in the east coast because it is always "go, go, go" and I hate that crap. But of course I can change myself as needed.

These are things I don't like:
- Waiting in line
- Heavy traffic jams (moderate is expected in any city)
- Congestion
- Angry workplaces, brute authority and ego, militaristic (my current east coast bosses are like this!)
- I hate the fact that my bosses are mean, edgy and egotistical S.O.Bs
- More than 40 hour work week

Things I like:
- Laid back attitude and approach to life
- Meditation, spirituality

What is your take? I really want to move to the east coast. I think it'd be cool.. oh and by the way, I like driving my V8! I guess NYC is out of the question. Who would/could live without a car? There is another job opportunity coming and I'm sure if I really wanted it I could get that job but I'm still on the fence on actually moving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 02:18 PM

114 posts, read 139,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnu111 View Post
- Waiting in line
- Congestion
- Angry workplaces, brute authority and ego, militaristic (my current east coast bosses are like this!)
While the bosses thing can exist anywhere, you'll likely find that the rest of the things on your list come with this territory. If I already had a house, decent job and family close by on the west coast, I'd probably never even come back to visit the DC area (and I like it here).

Edit: to add this.. There's a saying about how there is no such thing as a geographic solution to unhappiness. While that may be subjective, I think you should consider that before uprooting your life simply because of an idealized viewpoint of how things may be on the opposite coast (as should I!)..

Old 11-13-2013, 02:34 PM

7,969 posts, read 9,730,199 times
I think you need to move to Colorado or Arizona. Every single thing on your dislike list is here in droves.

Old 11-13-2013, 02:35 PM

18,717 posts, read 26,932,144 times
I liked living in Nova quite a bit, but it's not for everyone. If you hate traffic and congestion, I suspect it isn't for you. The two things you really like are people who are laid back and are into meditation? You can find that in northern VA, but if that's a big interest for you why move from San Diego? That's one of the best places in the country to find those things.

There's nothing in your post that indicates why you're interested in northern VA. If snow is what you're seeking, this isn't the optimal choice. You might try Colorado or cities northern of Baltimore. We sometimes get snow here, but we also have years where it doesn't snow at all.

Old 11-13-2013, 02:38 PM

6,226 posts, read 6,851,592 times
Quote:
I'm originally from Northern California (with wife and 1 kid) and I was considering moving to the DC area and living in NoVa. A lot of people advised me not to in this forum. I actually got a job in DC but I turned it down cause the pay was only 4k more than what I made with no relocation. I moved to San Diego instead and I don't really like it here either (but it is waaaay better than the bay area). Yeah the beach is 15 minutes away but when it is that close you take it for granted. I mean, I only went to the beach 3 times this year.

I'm still thinking what it'd be like to move to NoVa. I work with a lot of people in my current job that are from the east coast. I told them I'd love to live in the snow and they said, "you are crazy, I never want to see snow again my whole life." They told me, it is different when you come for a vacation and go but when you have to live in it it is horrible. East Coast people that know me said I probably wouldn't fit in the east coast because it is always "go, go, go" and I hate that crap. But of course I can change myself as needed.

- Waiting in line
- Congestion

Things I like:

What is your take? I really want to move to the east coast. I think it'd be cool.. oh and by the way, I like driving my V8! I guess NYC is out of the question. Who would/could live without a car? There is another job opportunity coming and I'm sure if I really wanted it I could get that job but I'm still on the fence on actually moving.
I wouldn't if I were you. Laid back----forget about. Now, you could move to laid back areas of Virginia but NOVA----no. As stated before snow is hit or miss around these parts. If you'd like to get an idea how snow is, stick your head into your freezer for 15 minutes and look around.

Old 11-13-2013, 02:53 PM

1,287 posts, read 1,738,439 times
My Aunt and her family lived in San Diego for over 20 years and lives here now. Her entire family always talks about laid back things are in San Diego and CA in general. Northern VA was a huge adjustment for them. Of all the things on your list....I don't think this area would be a good fit for you.

Old 11-13-2013, 03:06 PM

74 posts, read 81,409 times
Not being a nit picker, but this isn't the east coast. It's the South. While it's true that you won't find many Southern accents in the metro area now, it's definitely not New York, Boston, etc.

This place is the exact opposite of laid back. It is the land of the very, VERY, ambitious. That's why several counties in the area take the top places in education and income. If you want a knife in your back at work, welcome home. We also have some of the worst traffic in the country, very long work hours, and mostly the opposite of what's on your list.

Just the same, you can find some of the things that you are looking for if you try hard enough. There are plenty of yoga studios if you like meditation. While lines are long, you can get the culture of New York but with fewer crowds. Agree with above, you have to find your own happiness.

Old 11-13-2013, 03:47 PM

1,998 posts, read 2,936,859 times
Who would live without a car? Many many people prefer not having a car and living in walkable areas! Why is that so bizarre? There are several places in the DC area alone where it is easier to live without a car than with one.

Old 11-13-2013, 06:58 PM

2,294 posts, read 5,593,249 times
Quote:
I'm originally from Northern California (with wife and 1 kid) and I was considering moving to the DC area and living in NoVa...... East Coast people that know me said I probably wouldn't fit in the east coast because it is always "go, go, go" and I hate that crap. But of course I can change myself as needed.

- Waiting in line
- Congestion

Things I like:

What is your take? I really want to move to the east coast. .

I'm from SD.
SD is not the mumbo jumbo get with my feelings mediation town. Its military and Bieber and Bros and Methmouth. EastCoasters always make yoga jokes to me. Its like telling Kansans Oz jokes incessantly. Ignorant.

The Southside Hampton Roads area is a lot like SD. Meaning the parts you do not like.

You're NorCal. For a comfortable change, move to Seattle (has traffic issues on the 5 tho'). Or Oregon-away from the Libertarians/ crazy Separatists.

Old 11-13-2013, 07:02 PM

4,489 posts, read 9,588,370 times
Quote:
- Waiting in line
- Congestion

Things I like:
NoVA very frequently has your "don't like" attributes and very rarely has your "like" qualities.

Listen to your friends and family. This is not a place where people take off early on Fridays when the weather is nice the way they do in California. It's not generally a jeans and a polo type place--it's suits and ties. If you want to work 40 hours, you will not make much money.

There are exceptions to the norm. You might find them. In general though, people come here to work their tails off for career advancement, not for a relaxing environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia