U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2013, 08:17 AM

331 posts, read 689,488 times

Advertisements

I have another one of those "I work here, my spouse works there, where should we live?" questions.

My husband and I live in Manassas. I work there, too but my current job is ending in December. I'm looking at a job in Winchester that pays well and is stable. My husband works in Chantilly at 50/28. He's always wanted to live in the area around 50/15. We would like to rent a small SFH, preferably on an acre. Any experiences w/ a commute to Winchester from the Aldie/M'burg/Purcellville area? Would Bluemont be too far for the Chantilly drive?

Three helpful things about us:
1. Husband is usually at work by 5:30AM so hitting a deer would be a bigger concern than traffic.
2. We have no kids so we're not worried about schools.
3. We want to rent. We had such a bad home buying experience in the past that we're not sure we ever want to buy again, especially in an expensive area like NoVA.

Thanks for any advice you can give!
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 12:00 PM

2,380 posts, read 3,861,177 times
None of those would be any problem for a commute to Winchester unless you were insisting on a 15-minute commute -- Purcellville would be maybe 35-45 minutes, Middleburg maybe 40-50, and Aldie maybe 45-55.

For a 5:30am commute, heading down 50 wouldn't be terribly problematic either.

I'd also look in/around Marshall or The Plains or even Linden, VA.

Old 11-15-2013, 05:02 PM

7,928 posts, read 9,642,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post
, Middleburg maybe 40-50
There is no traffic headed west from Middleburg. Obviously, it depends on where in Winchester, but it only normally takes me 30 minutes to get to Winchester from Middleburg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post
. I'd also look in/around Marshall or The Plains or even Linden, VA.
All three of those places would add at least 20 minutes to the Chantilly commute over Aldie or Middleburg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownEastB View Post
Husband is usually at work by 5:30AM so hitting a deer would be a bigger concern than traffic.
Do not under estimate the deer concern. In three years, I've logged four confirmed kills, and two "taps". That being said, I love living in Middleburg, and would recommend it to any of the posters in the "where shall I live" threads. Unfortunately, it is too far out and remote for most people. You, though, have the ideal commutes for an adorable, quaint, farmhouse rental.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:55 AM

331 posts, read 689,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Do not under estimate the deer concern. In three years, I've logged four confirmed kills, and two "taps". That being said, I love living in Middleburg, and would recommend it to any of the posters in the "where shall I live" threads. Unfortunately, it is too far out and remote for most people. You, though, have the ideal commutes for an adorable, quaint, farmhouse rental.
Reading that made me so very happy (well, not the deer part but thanks for the confirmation that it's bad). We will keep an eye out for affordable properties in the Middleburg area. I know they don't come up often, but I'm diligent and able to move on possibilities quickly.

Didn't think about Linden. Thanks for the suggestion, stpickrell.

Fingers crossed for an offer from the Winchester folks! Sure would be nice to see mountains on my daily commute. That sight never gets old for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia