U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 03:58 PM

7,927 posts, read 9,642,312 times

Advertisements

I was on the Renting forum and there is a thread regarding smoking versus non-smoking apartment buildings and complexes. Apparently this is common in a lot of places. While I have owned my home for many years (thus not being in the rental market), I have never heard of apartment complexes that would limit smoking in private areas, within the confines of your apartment.

Is this common in NoVa?

I'm not referring to private rentals, which I know have been trending towards "no smoking", but buildings and complexes.

And lest this thread develop into a "smokers vs. non-smokers" thread, I think we can all agree that smelling cigarette smoke is gross. No one likes it, even those who smoke. But I just curious if many buildings no longer allow it anywhere?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 04:46 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,427,475 times
I don't know about NoVA, but I can say I rented at a large apartment building in center city Philadelphia and it was a violation of your lease to smoke in your apartment. There was a common area in a courtyard where you were allowed to smoke. The last two complexes at which I rented (the most recent one being in NoVA), there were no such smoking restrictions.

Old 11-20-2013, 01:50 PM

955 posts, read 1,920,804 times
I guess the question this raises for me is how would they regulate it? If a tenant closes their door and smokes in their apartment or bedroom, how can anyone know?

Old 11-20-2013, 06:48 PM

4,489 posts, read 9,555,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCmum View Post
I guess the question this raises for me is how would they regulate it? If a tenant closes their door and smokes in their apartment or bedroom, how can anyone know?
They charge you enormous fees upon move out when they can smell the smoke in your carpets.

I'm pretty sure my apartment complex was non-smoking several years ago. People would smoke on their little balconies.

Old 11-20-2013, 09:55 PM

955 posts, read 1,920,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
They charge you enormous fees upon move out when they can smell the smoke in your carpets.

I'm pretty sure my apartment complex was non-smoking several years ago. People would smoke on their little balconies.
You can have the carpets professionally cleaned before moving out

Old 11-21-2013, 05:46 AM

367 posts, read 760,886 times
Quote:
You would have to for walls painted and ducts cleaned as smoke sticks everywhere.

Old 11-21-2013, 05:52 AM

5,083 posts, read 5,349,148 times
Quote:
And the walls repainted?

My FIL quit smoking months ago. When we went to visit him, he was very proud of how fresh and clean the house smelled. It didn't - the smell of cigarettes was very noticeable to me. He shampooed the carpets, the upholstery, washed all the linens & curtains, wiped down all surfaces. The house was extremely clean but the smell was still there. (Of course, I agreed with him because we are so pleased that he's finally stopped. It was causing some serious health issues for him.)

If smokers think they are hiding their habit from anyone, they are delusional.

Old 11-21-2013, 05:55 AM

4,489 posts, read 9,555,817 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmv101010 View Post
You would have to for walls painted and ducts cleaned as smoke sticks everywhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
And the walls repainted?
The house was extremely clean but the smell was still there.

If smokers think they are hiding their habit from anyone, they are delusional.
Gotta agree. Once you smoke inside a building or a car, the smell is there forever. It just doesn't go away.

Old 11-21-2013, 07:23 AM

5,098 posts, read 4,298,052 times
Quote:

The maintenance people have the right to enter your apartment at times to check filters, fire alarms or other routine things and will smell the smoke and report back to the leasing office.

Old 11-21-2013, 07:33 AM

2,612 posts, read 4,754,098 times
Quote:
That stuff totally goes through walls, windows, ventilation systems and so on. I once lived above a heavy smoker, and parts of our apartment constantly smelled like stale smoke.

And to the posters above who talked about walls and carpet smell - my mom lived with a smoker, and when he passed away (from lung cancer), she had to replace every single carpet and curtain, plus paint the walls before most of the smell was gone. Most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia