Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2007, 05:52 PM

1 posts, read 1,473 times

Advertisements

Hiya,

My husband is currently seeking employment in Alexandria. We currently live in the Tampa, FL area. We plan to make the move this summer. I actually grew up in Roanoke, Va but moved as soon as I became an adult so I am not familiar with all the taxing issues. In order for you to address my following questions appropriately, let me give you some more personal information.

We are not looking to buy a home, we have 0 credit, and have been turned away in FL many times.

My husband is an electrician and will be completing the IEC Apprenticeship program here in FL in April. This accomplishment will bring "under-estimated" income at $65,000. I under estimate this because I want to be reallistic and find something afforadable.

We are not interested in an apartment or condo, so will be planning to rent a single-family home.

We have 3 small children, the oldest will be entering 1st grade next school year.

So with that being noted here are my obvious questions:

- Where should we begin looking for housing in the income range noted above, with considerations given to the issue of schools? Also note that given the fact that my husband is an electrician his work will not keep him stationary, so commute doesn't factor with us too much.

- What are the taxes I should be aware of in Va and in the specific counties you will be recommending? In FL we have very high property tax, but we do not own so this is not relevent to us. That's about it. I know there is a Va car tax and personal property tax.

- Anything else I should be aware of when researching an area?

M
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia