U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 11:42 AM

91 posts, read 310,396 times

Advertisements

We are moving in a few months to NoVa. My Husband will be working just NE of the Dulles Airport.

Any thoughts on areas we can buy a townhome with a 20-30 min commute? The challenge is our $350k budget.

We love a safe and diverse neighborhood. We are not opposed to doing work on a home. It will be helpful to be near activities for our grade school aged kids. Good schools are a MUST! I'd love to be within a few miles of trails, if possible.

We need a min. 3 bed/ 2 bath. Garage is a added plus, but for a great location we'd sacrifice the garage option. I am trying to keep open-minded, so fire away!

Any particular thoughts on the following:
Ashburn Village?
Broadlands?
1970's townhomes in Reston near Towncenter?

Any neighborhoods I should definitely avoid??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2007, 12:22 PM

19,183 posts, read 28,313,751 times
There are several western Fairfax and eastern Loudon County folks who can give you better info than I can, but I don't think you should have any problem at all in finding a TH in that area that fits your budget. All I'd offer is that diversity in the outer suburbs is quite a bit less than what it is in the inner suburbs. Much of the outer ring has been built up since 1990 to accommodate an influx of IT and other professional types working in the Dulles Corridor and there aren't many other populations mingled in yet...

Old 11-24-2007, 01:24 PM

Talking thanks for the help-stacked th/condos??

thanks for the comments and leads!

i appreciate it.

any thoughts on stacked condo/townhomes vs. typical twonhomes?

it looks like we can get more SF with the stacked condo/TH, but can get a yard for similar price with a typical TH.

any thoughts on re-sale value for either one? i know it is hard to tell currently. in general terms, though, do people shy away from the ones that lack a small yard?

i see a couple of TH's in mclean priced around $350k. are those likely to be in a shady part of town? i am wondering if they may just need some cosmetic work and are worth a look.

thank you, again, for your help!

Old 11-24-2007, 04:29 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,440,531 times
Hi,

Not sure about your first question ... I mean, not everyone wants a yard ...

I have actually been in a miserable part ('townhouse' community) in McLean. I was shocked! I had no idea McLean had a bad part, but if you found a townhouse that low, it could be in the development I am thinking of ... you know, sheets in lieu of window treatments, etc.

Old 11-24-2007, 10:31 PM

19,183 posts, read 28,313,751 times
I'd be most surprised if any TH on the market for $350K was actually in McLean. I'm aware of a unit in The Commons -- not at all an upscale complex by McLean standards -- and the asking price on that is $700K.

Old 11-25-2007, 04:40 PM

...hmm, well after a quick check of realtor.com, I think I am thinking of "McLean Hills". It was sort of back there; I approached from 123, but it wasn't too far from 7.

Old 11-26-2007, 03:37 PM

thanks goldenmom. yeah-i am not really looking for the sheets on windows as drapery neighborhoods.

tough gig. it looks like you need at least 500k to play in the closer in burbs and i just don't want to put every last cent in to my mtg. payment. i have lived that way before and it is over-rated from my point of view.

i think we will just keep exploring ashburn, south riding, etc.

anyone have the stats (or link to stats) on list price to actual sales price ratios in loudoun county and fairfax county?

thank you!

Old 11-26-2007, 06:20 PM

76 posts, read 312,600 times
Loudoun is a really great area for families, if your husband is working in the Dulles area, I personally wouldn't even consider anything in Fairfax county due to the price you will pay - it is very much location driven and you do not need to be closer in. The communities in Loudoun are new, have great shopping, dining, schools, activities, mom's groups, frankly as a mom with a two year old there is no place in the DC area I'd rather be. It sounds like you would be happy in the communities in Ashburn, Potomac Falls, South Riding (commute would be a little longer), Lansdowne, Brambleton, Broadlands. Most of these communities are pretty new and the areas are growing, its pretty exciting.

Old 11-26-2007, 07:49 PM

Yes, Loudoun is great.

Old 11-27-2007, 09:43 AM

Smile any decent spots in sterling?

sterling in near my husband's work and close to the things my kids will want to be involved in (tae kwon do, indoor rock climbing, etc.).

i can look up the school info, but are there any areas in there that are safe townhome communities?

i haven't heard too much about sterling, yet. everyone has mentioned herndon as a big "NO," but is sterlin more of a mixed bag? just curious.

thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or