U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2013, 10:53 AM

2,772 posts, read 3,644,468 times

Advertisements

Don't remember the thread this came up in; it is likely shut down now.

But the new data from 2012 proves the point I made; the "swarm" arriving in this state due to its "lax immigration status and ever growing liberal policies" is in fact movement around the southeast corridor, and not the northeast corridor (or rust belt)

Restless America: state-to-state migration in 2012 | vizynary

Some did come from Maryland also, then again I know several people who jump back and forth between living in MD and VA depending on job situation, and view the area more as Washington Metro. This is also proven by the fact that just as many are coming to Maryland from Virginia (showing it isn't an exodus one way or the other).

Anywho

Enjoy. This likely won't stop the rambling ideologues from continuing to rant about how the northeast corridor is invading all of the rest of real 'murka. The real consensus is, most people move between areas like NC and Virginia, as opposed to from the NE Corridor to the South East or vice versa. Even in places like SC or Alabama, the biggest movements are to places like Georgia or Texas.

Same in the mid atlantic where Penn/NY/NJ show the most movement among each other.

Last edited by tysonsengineer; 11-19-2013 at 11:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2013, 11:08 AM

Second link

http://www.census.gov/hhes/migration...-to-state.html

For 2010, a bigger magnet year for the state of Virginia (unfortunately not as graphically inclined).

Old 11-19-2013, 12:24 PM

7,932 posts, read 9,659,084 times
What is the Liberal Swarm Migration Theory?

Old 11-19-2013, 12:49 PM

Haha the ramblings of some guy in a thread who said that the northeast and midwest rust belt would soon be ghost towns as everyone funneled to the southeast corridor.

I just gave it a spiffy name; it's been uttered in the dark shadows of the internet for a long time. That the democratic states shuffle off people to the lesser democratic states, starting a cycle turning those states democratic, and then causing a collapse of those states economies.

Old 11-19-2013, 01:13 PM

7,932 posts, read 9,659,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post
Haha the ramblings of some guy in a thread who said that the northeast and midwest rust belt would soon be ghost towns as everyone funneled to the southeast corridor.

I just gave it a spiffy name; it's been uttered in the dark shadows of the internet for a long time. That the democratic states shuffle off people to the lesser democratic states, starting a cycle turning those states democratic, and then causing a collapse of those states economies.
So, you starting a thread debunking the "ramblings of some guy" regarding overall US migration patterns is Northern Virginia related how?

Old 11-19-2013, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
So, you starting a thread debunking the "ramblings of some guy" regarding overall US migration patterns is Northern Virginia related how?
It does provide information about who migrates to Virginia. That migration is often discussed on this subforum; considering a lot of the people moving into the state are coming to Northern Virginia.

Yikes, I'll change the title to appease ye me-lord

Scratch that, won't let me for some reason

Old 11-19-2013, 04:20 PM

5,071 posts, read 8,623,365 times
Quote:
It does provide information about who migrates to Virginia. That migration is often discussed on this subforum; considering a lot of the people moving into the state are coming to Northern Virginia.

Hey, I saw the "Vizynary" graphic on Atlantic Cities, too. Fun stuff for data junkies.

But if you examine the 2012 data specific to Virginia, it does seem to suggest that Virginia was a net importer of folks from the NE/Mid-Atlantic, and a net exporter of folks to the Sunbelt. If you assume that the people moving here from states like NY, NJ, and PA vote Democratic (and aren't Republican refugees from those states), and will continue to do so in Virginia, isn't that the "liberal swarm" theory in a nutshell? [Just to be clear, I'm happy to have more Mid-Atlantic folks come down here; we'll get the bagels, hoagies and pizza we've all been seeking, eventually.]

Interestingly, in 2012, VA was a net importer of people from both DC and MD, but a net exporter to CA, notwithstanding the occasional suggestions on this forum that everyone from CA is moving to the DC area.

For 2012, at least, the "new CA" is Texas, which is attracting a lot of people from other states (I've known quite a few people moving there in recent years, lured by warm weather and cheaper housing).

Last edited by JD984; 11-19-2013 at 04:41 PM..

Old 11-19-2013, 06:45 PM

7,966 posts, read 18,053,392 times
Quote:

DM with me with the info and I will change the title.

EDIT: Title now changed per your request.

Last edited by FindingZen; 11-20-2013 at 09:56 AM..

Old 11-20-2013, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
Hey, I saw the "Vizynary" graphic on Atlantic Cities, too. Fun stuff for data junkies.

But if you examine the 2012 data specific to Virginia, it does seem to suggest that Virginia was a net importer of folks from the NE/Mid-Atlantic, and a net exporter of folks to the Sunbelt. If you assume that the people moving here from states like NY, NJ, and PA vote Democratic (and aren't Republican refugees from those states), and will continue to do so in Virginia, isn't that the "liberal swarm" theory in a nutshell? [Just to be clear, I'm happy to have more Mid-Atlantic folks come down here; we'll get the bagels, hoagies and pizza we've all been seeking, eventually.]

Interestingly, in 2012, VA was a net importer of people from both DC and MD, but a net exporter to CA, notwithstanding the occasional suggestions on this forum that everyone from CA is moving to the DC area.

For 2012, at least, the "new CA" is Texas, which is attracting a lot of people from other states (I've known quite a few people moving there in recent years, lured by warm weather and cheaper housing).
I would say that the idea that the "swarm" of the northeast and rust belt is coming here is disproven if you look more at the total numbers, not just net. While the net value might be a 2-4% in favor of the direction you are speaking to, the numbers are basically (no major movement one way or the other) even when speaking about the midwest, northeast,mid-atlantic,and south. (California and Texas are the exceptions)

It shows more that regional folks move within their own region. People from Ohio aren't suddenly packing up and heading to Atlanta in mass numbers because the Tire Plant shut down.

I'd say it shows just as much that the south is not in exodus mode when it comes to moving to job centers in other regions either (NYC, Chicago, DC).

I would point to 2010 though if you want to see the former migration patterns which were trending far more in a south to mid-atlantic movement. That makes sense because in 2010 Govt was the only thing really hiring. We saw this in the migration boom that occurred in this area between 2009 and 2010.

I would love to see a year to year comparison (if only I could work in The Atlantics Data Department), alas I don't have that much time on my hands.

Old 11-24-2013, 11:02 AM

154 posts, read 328,908 times
Quote:
I would say that the idea that the "swarm" of the northeast and rust belt is coming here is disproven if you look more at the total numbers, not just net. While the net value might be a 2-4% in favor of the direction you are speaking to, the numbers are basically (no major movement one way or the other) even when speaking about the midwest, northeast,mid-atlantic,and south. (California and Texas are the exceptions)
Could you expand on what you mean with this paragraph?

I've heard a lot of conservatives complain that liberals from specifically NY, NJ and PA (never heard them complain about "northeast and rust belt") have "ruined" their state with their economic and social policies and that they are moving to VA only to vote to enact those same policies here.

If you look at the data:
NJ > VA: +4049
NY>VA: + 7954
PA>VA: +2230
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or