U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 12:45 PM

555 posts, read 2,431,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsylawyer View Post
Hi all!!

Thanks so much for the info. we are so exhausted and stressed, but etremely excited about relocating. Not sure if I mentioned it, (I tend not to mention husband now that we have children-OOPS) but Husband is graduating from Physician Assist. Masters program Dec 8. We will also be looking to rent for a while, since we both are grad school bums- (STUDENT LOAN people have found me:-} I MUST PAY THEM...)

Query: (1) What areas should I avoid in Centr.? (IF ANY); and (2) is the commute from Centreville to Manassa reasonable during peak hours? I will likely be working a straight 8-5 day.

Thanks in advance for all of your help.
I was commuting from Culpeper to the Centreville area during business hours, it's not that bad. I-66 is pretty good until you get to Fairfax, you could also go 28 or 29 if traffic is bad. You shouldn't hit much traffic because you would be going against the rush from Centreville to Manassas. Plus you have a Sweetwatern Tavern in Centreville!! It rocks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2007, 12:48 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,438,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrovic View Post
I was commuting from Culpeper to the Centreville area during business hours, it's not that bad. I-66 is pretty good until you get to Fairfax, you could also go 28 or 29 if traffic is bad. You shouldn't hit much traffic because you would be going against the rush from Centreville to Manassas. Plus you have a Sweetwatern Tavern in Centreville!! It rocks.
Yes, Sweetwater is the best! Ask about the "call ahead" because otherwise it can take hours to get a table.

Old 12-03-2007, 12:14 PM

15 posts, read 61,121 times
goldenmom...

I can't think of any trailer park on Stone Road. Actually can't think of any trailer park in Centreville.

Old 12-03-2007, 01:09 PM

1,123 posts, read 4,793,906 times
London Town off Stone Road is to avoid - but not all of Stone is bad, just that neighborhood. Also, I believe the area behind the library is not so good (but forgive me if I am wrong, that was definitely a bad neighborhood 4 years ago). Other than that, you are good in Centreville. Singletons Grove and Little Rocky Run TH are probably a little more affordable to rent because they are 15-20 years old.

Old 12-03-2007, 01:49 PM

If I am on 29 heading away from DC and turn right on Stone Road, there is a trailer park on the left hand side, not that I have anything against trailer parks.

Old 12-03-2007, 02:32 PM

1,723 posts, read 5,122,380 times
It's not Yorktown, it's called Yorkshire and it is the unincorporated part of Prince William County directly south of the Fairfax County line, before you reach Manassas Park.

And there is no trailer park on Stone Road, those are just very ugly, old one-level houses.

The only two trailer parks in Fairfax County that I know of (there may be others in the southeast portion of the county near Alexandria or Ft. Belvoir, but I am not as familiar with those areas) are the Meadows of Chantilly off Route 50 (Airline Parkway). There is a trailer park off Lee Highway right next to the Fairfax County FCU building just before you get to Fairfax City as you are heading east on Lee Highway.

London Town is not an area to necessarily avoid, although as a child growing up I remember most of the "bad kids" tended to live in that area, as it was quite a bit more affordable.

Old 12-03-2007, 03:17 PM

2,408 posts, read 13,337,042 times
There aren't really any "bad" parts of Centreville, but indeed the two areas mentioned of London Towne and the Meadows (the community right by the library; although the handful of public housing has since been closed down in the area) are rougher than most other neighborhoods, but by "rough" I don't mean drive-bys, but rather homes needing some paint, yards a bit more unkempt, parking violations, shifty groups of teenagers loitering around and higher petty crime. Nothing too terrible, but if you can avoid the areas, it's best to.

Old 12-15-2007, 09:15 AM

192 posts, read 193,176 times
I saw a TH listed in Manassas on realtor.com for 95,000. It said that it sold for 254,900 in 2006 and is currently assessed at 260,000. Attention Kmart shoppers.........

Old 12-15-2007, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El General View Post
I saw a TH listed in Manassas on realtor.com for 95,000. It said that it sold for 254,900 in 2006 and is currently assessed at 260,000. Attention Kmart shoppers.........
It's bank owned, and must be really beat up. I never thought that a place could be irreparably beat up until I walked through a foreclosure last summer - ouch!

Old 12-15-2007, 04:20 PM

192 posts, read 193,176 times
Not in horrible condition.....furnace was laying in the front yard, there was a summons taped to the door, and a notice to clean up the mess. I looked through the kitchen window. Drywall and floor coverings are ok downstairs, as well as washer, dishwasher, range, and fridge. Looks like some finer Salvadoran tile work in the kitchen. It is only one unit away from Wellington==9311 Hood rd, 20110.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or