U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 06:16 PM

1,729 posts, read 126,371 times
... just curious what you conclude from this. Is it a great deal, evidence that prices in that neighborhood have crashed, or is it just priced at the level the bank needs to recoup? I love the furnace on the lawn - I guess I'm just not a true real estate 'value' investor at heart because I wouldn't have the heart to go for this one ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2007, 10:24 PM

6 posts, read 15,014 times
Thank you for provide this information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenmom7500 View Post
Hi,

Check out:

GreatSchools.net and

Schooldigger.com -- Search and compare elementary, middle, and high schools.

To answer your question, Manassas schools are mixed - there are some that are great and some to avoid. I agree with heather that Bristow and Gainesville (as well as Haymarket) are the places most families are heading right now - all are new with loads of families and good new schools, some preferred to others.

Down the road from Manassas towards Fairfax, you first hit Centreville (in Fairfax County) so that would be the first recommendation in Fairfax.

But ... I never want to leave anyone with the impression that Manassas is not a nice place - but heading to these newer parts is a safer bet if you are a newcomer ...

Old 12-22-2007, 09:45 AM

192 posts, read 15,926 times
I noticed that only 13% of the OHS students are on lunch subsidy, while 33% of SJHS are. I would certainly be just as apprehensive about the Manassas areas in PW County.

Old 12-29-2007, 11:43 PM

2 posts, read 2,192 times
We just moved out of Manassas to Leesburg as my son was getting ready to start K because the schools, well how should I put this... SUCK. We even trek'd him into Vienna for pre-school for two years. The Manassas housing market died about 9 months ago. There's still basically only one way (rte 28) in or out of town and the traffic is just as bad as driving to downtown DC. Centreville to Manassas against traffic wouldn't be too bad, but avoid Manassas out to anywhere during normal rush hours.

best.

Old 12-30-2007, 01:45 AM

21 posts, read 47,142 times
You should really check into the gainesville area. Prince William Co has great a great school system. Gainesville is close to Manassas and has a better school system. It has grown alot over the years. Check out the Liten hall road area. New schools, homes, New shopping and they are still building. It is also a bit nicer than manassas. If your looking for a good school system and still want to be close to manassas I would choose gainesville over centreville.

Old 12-30-2007, 01:41 PM

192 posts, read 15,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xshadowx View Post
... Prince William Co has great a great school system..
Lowest test scores in NoVa. Some of its schools may be better than MCPS, but you will always be taking a back seat to FCPS.

Old 12-30-2007, 01:56 PM

1,729 posts, read 126,371 times
How about the Mountain View area of Haymarket? (Do I have the name right?) Among others ...

Old 11-06-2009, 04:13 PM

80 posts, read 75,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenmom7500 View Post
Hi,

I think driving from Centreville to Manassas should be OK. You'd either go on 28 (Centreville Rd.) going south "against traffic" for what it's worth, or you'd go up 66W "against traffic" for what it's worth - in either case probably to 234. Or an alternate to the second option would be up 29, etc. I hate to quote a time without knowing exact locations, but it should be less than 30 minutes, and possibly a *lot* less. Now that I think about it, it really depends on where in Centreville so there could be a significant range of 10 minutes to 35 minutes.

In any case, I can't imagine that would be a bad commute at all.

I can't necessarily think of any bad areas of Centreville. On one side it does border along a part of Manassas that isn't great - Yorktown/Manassas Park (this would be heading down 28 South). But I'm racking my brain to think of any areas that aren't nice. I mean, it's possible I just haven't seen them. As much as I hate to say this, you can probably determine a lot by the rent. If it looks like a "great deal" then maybe there is a problem. But not always.

Oh wait, I pass a trailer park heading down Stone Road, but on the opposite side is a nice large townhouse community.

That's about all I can think of!!
Yorktown? do you mean in southern virginia by the shore? I think you mean Yorkshire
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia